AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Replaytv 5040 and I love it - EXCEPT for one thing. Why can't I get access to my Comcast Cable's "On Demand" listings? I can't find any way to call up the "On Demand" program guide now that all my menus have been replaced with Replaytv's channel guide. Can anybody help! Is "On Demand" not supported if I use Replaytv? That would be a major drawback.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
"On Demand", like all pay per view offerings, are not supported in the program listings.

You can, however, setup a manual program record to capture a show when you watch it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use the remote from my cable box. And I don't watch through the replay. I use a secondary path from cable box direct to TV, gives me component output (have the HD box) and digital audio. Doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to watch through the replay because you can pause/FF without it.

If you're trying to suck down a bunch of movies, use the cable remote and manual record.

Not true that all payper view is not in the listings. All my PPV channels do show up in the replay listings. I don't think you can IVS send them though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use my cable remote to order the show, then go back to the ReplayTV remote and guarantee it - an axtra step, but its worked fine for a few years now (I have one of the multi-remotes, which makes it a little easier...). I usually do it at least a few minutes *before* the show starts, so it all gets automated. Sorry, only way to do it... Upside is then you have have it on the Replay TV for as long as you like, etc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vestadawg,

In my case, the show listings for Comcast's PPV channels show up just fine in the channel guide and are quite convenient to peruse. Recording a show, though, is a two part process.

First, RTV does not support PPV ordering menus, so you have to use the cable box's remote to actually order the show. Since the RTV output is buffered and delayed a few seconds, you have to be a little patient pushing buttons on the cable box's remote and give the change time to show up on your screen. Second, then just highlight the show you in the PPV channel and hit record.

DirecTV, however, is a completely different beast. They do not provide their PPV listings to Zap2it, so the PPV channels show blank info. In that case, you use the satellite receiver's remote to order the show and set up a manual record on the RTV.

At least, that's how it works for me.

Thunk

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
YMMV

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OnDemand isn't Pay-Per-View, it's Video-On-Demand (Comcast's PPV channels are called InDemand). There's no schedule, you select a show and it starts playing immediately. You can pause, rewind, and save it away to finish watching later (up to some limit). It's alot like using a PVR, except that the shows are stored at the cable provider.

I don't actually use it -- the cable wiring in my apartment building is really old, so my cable box has never successfully tuned to the OnDemand channel. But to use it through the ReplayTV, you just change your input to the cable box, and then use the cable controls from the ReplayTV remote to bring up the Comcast menu.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barmar
I don't actually use it -- the cable wiring in my apartment building is really old, so my cable box has never successfully tuned to the OnDemand channel
Have you ever tried manually tuning to the channel? It's 001 (at least on the HD digital boxes). I had to set up my universal remote and it couldn't "learn" the code from the OnDemand button. After a little experimentation I discovered that all the OnDemand button does is run a short macro that plays 0-0-1.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barmar
OnDemand isn't Pay-Per-View, it's Video-On-Demand (Comcast's PPV channels are called InDemand).
OnDemand has pay-per-view movies. They charge a fee (something like $3.95, depending on the movie), so that sounds like PPV to me. :)

They do offer things on OnDemand that you don't have to pay for - like HBO OnDemand if you already have HBO, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Regarding the IVS and PPV, how exactly does the replay prevent you from sending these? If you use manual record what information is there to clue the Replay that's it's a PPV event and not allow sending it? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I believe IVS prevents transferring shows from certain channels. However, manually recording a certain input enables you to send PPV recordings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.