AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I didn't find anything in the FAQ about this..

I currently have a ReplayTV 3030 (not showstopper), with AT&T digital cable. I am planning on getting DirecTV pretty soon, but they don't carry our locals on the DTV system. I contacted my cable company and they told me they offer a cheap package with just the local and public access channels, so I'm going to get that because the off-air reception is not good where I am (but of course not bad enough to get an override for national network feeds on DTV). My question is, can I set up the replay channel guide to seamlessly host the channels from both the cable locals and the DTV channels without having to manually switch inputs every time I want to go from NBC to HBO, etc? In other words, will NBC and HBO both sit in the same channel guide and replay will switch between the inputs behind the scenes?

Also, I'd like to use the serial connection feature to hook up the DTV receiver - which receivers support this feature and of those can anyone recommend one over another?

Thanks

Scott

AirlineMuseum.com

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It's mostly seamless -- multiple inputs are combined into a single guide like you'd like; one of the inputs channel numbers will be offset by 1000, so it's not completely seamless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So as long as I don't care that my NBC will go from 12 to 1012, I won't notice any other difference? Good to know!

Still curious about some advice on the better receivers to get for this application

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
IMO - the DirecTV - Cable combo is the best part of PVR ownership, both Replay and Tivo make this a dream. Prior to Replay, DirecTV and cable locals was a huge pain for me. I really hated it. Now, it is so easy and I really don't care if it is local or DirecTV, it just doesn't matter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
[QUOTE

Still curious about some advice on the better receivers to get for this application

Thanks! [/b][/quote]

Well, I wish I had asked before getting my directv receivers. I just got two from best buy for free (after rebate). They are RCA Model DSM433RG. The dish and two of these receivers came in one box. RCA might have a different model number for the reciever if sold separately.

But anyway, there is an RJ-45-looking jack labelled "Low Speed Data" on the RCA Directv recv'r. I connected the replaytv-supplied serial cable to replaytv, and the other end to the 9-pin to RJ-45 looking adapter (also replay supplied). I didn't work. I called ReplayTV and they said "it should work". Great. Well, it doesn't. IR Blaster works fine. In the ReplayTV FAQ, there are a coupld of directv boxes listed. I might go get one of those when I'm ready for a third recv'r.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.