AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All these discussions about what should be in the 4500 are great except there is only one feature I'd like to see which is missing from the 4000 (setting aside a remote that actually works)

real HDTV support.

Why there is no component output and the ability to record the HDTV channels coming in at DVD MPEG quality I do not understand.

This seems to me to be a pretty low-cost - high return option.

Target a unit at real home theater users and be the first to have real HDTV support.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
I think the 4xxx platform is capable of this but probably only practical with the 160 and 320G models. HDTV uses a lot of data...
Exactly, there was an announcement for an HDTV PVR about a year ago. It boasted of a 6 hour recording capability!

That would have sold a lot of units:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
I think the 4xxx platform is capable of this but probably only practical with the 160 and 320G models. HDTV uses a lot of data...
I saw an earlier post about the Replay 4000 processor chip that is capable of dealing with HD. But given that the Replay 4000 series has no component input (why, why, why????), I guess the Replay 4000 could not take an already processed HD output from a HD STB. I think that kills the idea of the Replay 4000 recording HD off of a cable system that broadcasts HD in non-OTA format (e.g. TWC). I guess it is theoretically possible that the Replay 4000 series could take plain old OTA HD from an rf feed and convert it (in effect, act like an HD STB). Anyone have an informed view about any of this?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I am sorry to say this, but it is unlikely that we will have an HDTV PVR that doesn't record the original bitstream. The easiest path is that way and any other way would involve an encoder that can handle HD input and will still not be as high a quality or as good a compression as the original feed. I can see that DirecTiVo should do this in the future, although I doubt it will be in series 2. Replay TV should at least be able to do this for OTA broadcasts, which are much more prevalent now than they were even 6 months ago.

Replay TV has great features, but I just don't see them being able to record incoming HD feeds from HDNET.

Mike

·
Registered
979 Posts
By platform I meant the overall design of hardware and software; not the box it happens to be in.

(I remember reading some Replay 4000 series hardware specs - again the platform not the current models - and HDTV is mentioned several times.)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. I guess I'm ready to sign up for my replay 5xxx now!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm sure with enough disk space, a powerful enough encoder, (if the current replay 4000's don't already have one powerful enough), and the right input on the back of the replay, it would be able to handle HDTV shows, etc.

The real reason, that there is not a more common PVR that has this ability is that there is way too little HDTV programming in this country as is. It's getting better, don't flame me now. But not nearly enough people have it to make it a significant return of investment to develop this at this stage of the game. I would have probably paid the extra money for it, but thats because I know within the Next year or two I will have HDTV in my home. Wherever that may be.

Hell the Brand spanking New TIVO units don't even have Component Video Out, and we are looking for Component Video In. We should be happy that Replay even went that far, most people don't even know What the hell Component Video / Progressive Scan / Anamorphic Video, etc are.

But we are not the masses, we are the bleeding edge. :)

For those that are looking for a device that can do this now, There is a HDTV Decoder set top box, that JVC Sells, it's a little expensive, but it records HDTV Shows, and even has a fireware input, (maybe output as well). I think it supports a tape format as well if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks

TimT

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
There are HDTV tuners which use the TL850 also and they can record the HD bitstream to the HD for later decode. The replay COULD do this too.

Mr.Poindexter's comment about HDNet would be a different story though, HDNet would come from Directv, which isn't the same broadcast stream as OTA HDTV.

The TL850 can decode DTV, HDTV and other formats including the Direct stream. It's just a question of why Replay isn't doing it. I think it may have to do with two things.... first although there are roughly 1 million HDTV decoders already installed it may not be enough of a market for Replaytv. And the second issue would most likely be the copyright, copyprotection stuff that is so important to the broadcasters. More lawsuits for Replay is most likely NOT what they are looking for.

I'll tell you this. If there were a HDTV Replay out now, I'd own 2. If one doesn't come soon, I'll be heading to a HTPC. The HTPC is looking better and better as the months go by... I should have made the jump a year ago!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I too would buy a HDTV ReplayTV or two in a heartbeat.

One frustration I have about ReplayTV/Tivo/UTV is that the day after a credible HDTV PVR is out, my existsing PVRs will be in the ash can. So any non-HDTV PVR only has value for what? 6-18 months? Maybe CES 2004? How many more $2000 4320s am I going to buy when they will become obsolete so soon?

·
Registered
95 Posts
About 35 hours of HDTV for 320GB. There are at least three pci cards that can record OTA HDTV to a pc hard drive. I have one from accessdtv. IMHO, this is currently the best option for recording HDTV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.