AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a DirecTV system here in Canada and would like to set that up for use with a new Replay 4000 box. I'd like to make sure I get everything I need first shot, so I thought I'd post here and inquire on some of the elements of setup.

From what I've gathered, if I plug a broadband connection into the Replay 4000 I should be able to download the program listings for DirecTV from here without a problem. Will these listings also include the PPV channels and specialty channels that DTV offers? And Replay should be able to control the DTV decoder via serial quite easily too, so that's fine.

Does anyone know of a reseller that will ship the Replay boxes to Canada? Or is my only option contacting a friend or relative in the US to ship it here?

I think that's it. If anyone has any input into this combination please don't hesitate to let me know, it will greatly help out with my purchase.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm currently searching this "Channel" for info on ReplayTV usage in Canada as well. However I can tell you one thing

www.borderfree.com - is the way to go to buy things from the US that only ship to the US. I bought my VisorPhone this way. It'll cost you about a $40 premium, but for me that's easily the gas to drive to Buffalo and back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just checked out BorderFree, and it appears as if you can only buy stuff from "CommerceConnect-enabled U.S. retail sites." If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Since the Replay 4000-series will only be available directly from ReplayTV itself, this isn't an option for Canadian customers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is an interesting situation. I'd love to get my hands on one of the first generation models before they may potentially remove the commercial skip/network share features.

Can any Canadian members of the board elaborate on how they have obtained their current 3k model?

I assume there is always eBay, but until they are shipping and out in the market there won't be any available. And you'd also expect to pay a hefty amount more since they are so new.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
849 Posts
That won't help you. If they were to implement such a change, it would be done through software and affect all units out there, even yours. If you stop the unit from connecting to prevent the update, you lose the ability to send shows anyway, and without the guide data, you lose most of the other functions too.:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.