AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I called ReplayTV recently, my call was answered by a customer service representative in India. I've noticed that often when I call customer service of companies, not just ReplayTV, my call is answered in India. Today, I came across this article on wired.com:

The New Face of the Silicon Age: How India became the Capital of the Computing Revolution

wired.com/wired/archive/12.02/india_pr.html

This article explains how a large number of well paying American jobs are being given to people in India who will work for a fraction of the salary paid to American workers.

We've got to do what we can to stop companies from taking jobs away from Americans.

My suggestion is that when we call ReplayTV, we only talk to American customer service representatives. You can tell if you've been routed to an American call center or an Indian call center by listening to the recording you hear when your call is first answered. If you hear an American accent, you've reach an American call center. If you hear an Indian accent, you've reached an Indian call center. If you reach an Indian call center, please hang up and try again until you get through to an American customer service representative.

Support American Jobs!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call a Texas accent "American."

;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lindsey, that has to be the stupidest post I've ever seen here.

I highly doubt Replay just loves to have there CSR's in India. I'm sure they would prefer them to here. I'm sure if they could find Americans willing to work for the same wage or slightly more than what they pay the Indians, then they'd do it.

With your belligerent pro-American post, I can only assume that you paid top dollar for that American made TV you are watching (if there is still an American TV manufacturer left), instead of buying a Japansese or Korean model. Where was the desk you are sitting at made? How about your vehicle? I hope your not driving a Toyota or Nissan.....or even a GM import, because some fat overpaid American could have made that same product and it would have only cost you 3-4 times as much.

The best way to "Support American Jobs" would be to get uncle Sam to eliminate terrifs on imports, and refuse trade with countries that imposed tarrifs on our exports.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My web host recently moved their support to India and the service quality dropped significantly. Before the move, if you e-mailed a problem it was either fixed within an hour or forwarded to someone who fixed it with in two hours. After the move, I've had tickets open for days and if I tried to get and update on on, I would get an asinine reply like "your request has been forwarded to billing. I am closing your ticket. Thank You." when the ticket was about a problem a pre installed CGI script.

Anyway, they are in the process of switching back to US based support. I'm sure that many company's in India do a good job when it comes to support, but obviously, companies need to be very selective when outsourcing and also insure that the reps are well trained and not just passing the problems off and hoping that the problem will go away.

Nearlygod

·
Registered
65 Posts
I understand how capitalism works so I can understand why this happens. If you have ever been responsible for the bottom line you understand that patriotism, religion or any thing else is secondary to the deal. As an old boss of mine said,'Any idiot can make money but making a profit is hard'.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Subrec

I highly doubt Replay just loves to have there CSR's in India. I'm sure they would prefer them to here. I'm sure if they could find Americans willing to work for the same wage or slightly more than what they pay the Indians, then they'd do it.

With your belligerent pro-American post, I can only assume that you paid top dollar for that American made TV you are watching (if there is still an American TV manufacturer left), instead of buying a Japansese or Korean model. Where was the desk you are sitting at made? How about your vehicle? I hope your not driving a Toyota or Nissan.....or even a GM import, because some fat overpaid American could have made that same product and it would have only cost you 3-4 times as much.

The best way to "Support American Jobs" would be to get uncle Sam to eliminate terrifs on imports, and refuse trade with countries that imposed tarrifs on our exports.
OT, but it's interesting that the Toshiba televisions (CRT technology) that we've owned over the past ten years have all been "Made in America". I really liked that initially, and so we gladly bought our latest TV seeing that the country of manufacture was still the same.

That being said, we live in cost sensitive times. Companies and particularly shareholders expect profits. If these foreign call centers eventually start costing a company customers, then we'll see a swing back the other way. Look at Dell as an example.

Personally, I'd prefer all jobs to be kept in the US, but we are truly a global economy and my feeling is that protectionism can only hurt the US even more.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
I hope your not driving a Toyota or Nissan.....or even a GM import, because some fat overpaid American could have made that same product and it would have only cost you 3-4 times as much.
I agree with your sentiment, but your example is wrong. Since the mid 1980's, most Toyotas sold here are made by fat overpaid Americans in plants in Kentucky (Camry and Avalon), Indiana (Tundra) and California (Corolla, I think). Now, where the profits go is a whole other story...

·
Registered
51 Posts
And I'll add that Nissans and Infinitis are being made in Smyrna, TN while Frontiers and the new Titans are being made in Canton, MS. Some of the 'American' manufacturers are building in Mexico and Canada - it is a global economy nowadays. We are all in it together!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, you got my point. That's the important part.....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I supported Microsoft products at a call center where all are products were moved to India.

Yes, they know the quality of the service goes down. Yes, they know the customer satisfaction goes down. They weigh that against their cost savings and decide they will save more money then they will lose from pissing people off.

Me --> Out of job.

Want to keep these jobs in America? Get more pissed at the companies that do it. The result? Expect also to pay more for the products!! We can't have it both ways.

-Allen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now that I read this post, I fully understand how to use all of the features of my Replaytv.....Oh wait....this post has NOTHING IN IT about unit operation..I must be on the wrong board...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brian7972
I agree with your sentiment, but your example is wrong. Since the mid 1980's, most Toyotas sold here are made by fat overpaid Americans in plants in Kentucky (Camry and Avalon), Indiana (Tundra) and California (Corolla, I think). Now, where the profits go is a whole other story...
Toyota is a public corporation that has been on the Tokyo, London and NY Stock Exchanges for more than a couple of years. The Toyoda family trust however controls 47% of the voting stock.

My '04 Tacoma was also built in the Freemont, CA plant which has been a joint venture with GM since 1984. In addition to the Tacoma, they currently also build the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix(US)/Toyota Voltz(Japan) and Toyota Corolla there.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Just to point out, just because a car is so-called made in the US, doesn't mean all the parts are built here. That only means that all the sub-assemblies that are built elsewhere are shipped to the US where they are put together as a final unit (ie, your car or truck). I beleive the only reason for this really is the huge tax if they build less than 40% in the US.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbailie
Now that I read this post, I fully understand how to use all of the features of my Replaytv.....Oh wait....this post has NOTHING IN IT about unit operation..I must be on the wrong board...
While many of the posts on this bored are way off topic (Like asking people what they should have for dinner, what is up with that?) I would consider this thread on-topic. ReplayTV outsources their support to India. Not everything has to be technical in nature to be on-topic.

Nearlygod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I knew this would be a controversial topic when I posted. I would like to respond to a few things:

To Subrec: You're right that I look for the best prices and quality when I make a purchase. And, in the past, those two factors have mattered most to me. But, when I see a large number of American jobs being lost to support lower priced products and high profits for companies, I see a danger for America's future.

Why do you think the recovery from the recession has been a largely jobless one? In Dec., for the entire United States, there was a net gain of 1,000 jobs. Doesn't this concern you?

I don't agree with you that Americans are "fat" (implying lazy) and "overpaid". Did you read the article in wired.com? There was a guy who trained 3 Indian workers in technical positions, then received his pink slip. The Indian workers can work for $11,000. a year and live a middle class lifestyle in India. This guy was earning probably $50K or $70K and that was necessary for him to be middle class in America. Now, he is highly trained and out of work. Is it better for America for him not be to able to find a job because consumers want lower priced goods and companies want higher profits?

To sbailie: I thought this forum was to discuss issues related to ReplayTV. And, company policy of ReplayTV is therefore relevant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fact:

The best and brightest Indians leave the country for better opportunity (mainly USA, Canada, and Europe). The ones not leaving India are basically the rejects that didn't get to leave.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Let's be realistic. Companies are in the business to make money - bottom line. I don't care where your company is located or what "service" they provide, the bottom line is to make a profit.

Customer service, product improvements, promotions - all to help make a profit. Why did DNNA give all the people who bought $149 units lifetime service? Because they care about everyone's feelings? No, because in the long run it makes the most profit.

Anyone who disagrees with this is very naive and doesn't live in the real world. It's not evil and it's not greedy. It would be foolish for a company to not want to make a profit - and the largest profit they can at that, especially in a public company. Would you honestly buy shares in a company that did not care about profit? There's a word for that, charity.

This is a complex issue and has many sides to it. From one hand it could be said that American workers are out jobs and so "the American economy will suffer". On the flip side the share holders make a much larger profit - which in the long run is good for the economy because they spend money here in America.

So doing things like moving jobs to India just rewards the rich? No. And when did it become evil to be rich. How many people can honestly say they would not want more money if they could have it? Regardless of you financial status ANYONE can invest - go to sharebuilder.com and anyone can buy stock for as little money as they want to spend.

If people in other less developed countries are "stealing" American jobs then it's time for the American worker to learn some new skills. We used to milk cows by hand, now machines do it - but America did not colapse, people just learned new skills. I believe this truely is the land of opportunity but if all you ever look at is the closed doors you'll never see the open ones.

On the topic of support in India - I think it was Dell that recently announced that it would be moving it's phone support back to the US for Corporate customers but not Home users. This was based soley on the basis that they would have lost corporate customers (who buy hundreds + of machines) by keeping support over seas for them because of the poor customer service. If they lose some home customers - so be it's not worth the cost (profit loss) to bring all the jobs back to America.

As a practicle example if an American supported RTV let's say would get $16 an hour (including benefits) - so they'd make $32,000 a year. An employee in India might make $15,000 a year, there's a savings of $17,000 for the company. Let's just say for agument sake there is a $200 profit made on each replay (that figure is very high). That means that they would have to lose 85 sales to make it not worth sending support to india. That's 85 sales PER EMPLOYEE. If they have 100 employees that would be 8,500 sales. I know the support isn't typically as good - but are they really losing that many sales because of it? Is it really worth the profit loss?

One last thing - earlier someone commented that Americans are fat and lazy, I've heard this said numerous times and I don't appreciate the generalization. There are plent yof very hardworking Americans. And just because someone has an accent doesn't mean you should hang up on them because they are from another country and it certainly doesn't guarantee they are too stupid to help you. There are plenty of people in America that have accents and there are plenty of people in America that don't know how to help you either.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
I think that we can disagree without being disagreeable. This quote was a major example of the opposite.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.