AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a decent method from converting ReplayTV shows to Divx?

I used Xmpeg with Divx Pro 5.05 to turn a 30min sitcom (w/commercials) into a very nice 350meg Divx file which then played beautifully on the LiteOn LVD-2001 DVD player. But.... it took about 3 hours of conversion time, and can't be done in batch.

I've been playing with Divx Networks' Dr. Divx program to do the conversions in batch (which rocks!), but the divx 5.1 codec is significantly slower and now my encode times are about 8 hours! (Sorry DXN, no disrepect.)

Anyone have a good system for doing this?

Thanks,

AmoebaMan

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Being familiar with Divx, I assume your aware of Gordian Knot and doom9.org.

I've used this for about a year with good results. Granted, I haven't really been doing much Divx encoding lately, and I haven't attempted to encode a Replay file yet. But I have 'backed up' a couple hundred DVD movies in the past. I find this the easiest free solution out there. There are better methods if you want the best possible quality, but that involves more time and effort than I'm willing to do. And you can batch encode with this. On my P-4 1.7 a 30 minute clip takes about 2-3 hours if I remember correctly; also at 350MB. I backed up an entire Simpsons season a while back, putting two episodes per disk, and had excellent results.

I'd be interested in what steps you took to encode the Replay file into Divx 5.05. i.e. Divx settings, encoding bit-rate, re-sizing filters, etc.

I'm thinking of giving it a try, since I want to wait a few more months before plunging $$$ into a DVD burner.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AmoebaMan
I've been playing with Divx Networks' Dr. Divx program to do the conversions in batch (which rocks!), but the divx 5.1 codec is significantly slower and now my encode times are about 8 hours!
I'm using Dr. Divx (just bought 1.02p) and converted a 30 min. show downloaded from Replay by DArchive2.1 in less than an hour for the two pass encoding. I'm on an Athlon XP2500+ w/ 512MB RAM. An hour long show took less than 2 hours. What are you running on and how much RAM?

My settings were the high quality standard (I'm not at that machine now so don't remember the preset name exactly but it's the second from the top of the preset choices). The resulting video was very good when viewed on my Bravo D1.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chain777,

I'm still playing with all the settings (and encoders), so it's far from being a process right now, but I'd be happy to collaborate with you if you want.

If you're waiting for a DVD burner, there's an Optorite 4x DVD burner which even does HD-burn (1400megs on a CD-R) for $133. I keep seeing it on Techbargains.com for sale from LiveWarehouse.com. Might be a good, cheap solution.

LKuperSmith,

Thanks for the tip... I was using Dr.Divx 1.0.2, so I installed 1.0.2p and it's back up to a decent framerate. I'm curious what resolution, etc... you're using.

Maybe you, me and Chain777 could figure out the ultimate setting.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just to jump into the fray.

I was about to post the same question myself.

I use Vidomi to backup my DVD's, but that's not really all that helpfull for the replay.

This is what I need to have happen

1) DVArchive (Thanks Gerry) Schedules and pulls the shows down to my file server

2) The new files are catalogued to a database.

3) The catalogued files are then converted to divx and sent to the respective folders

Now to make all this happen is going to require DVArchive to be running all the time. No biggie, I've got a Nic dedicated to that function.

It's ALSO going to require a MySQL DbServer..... again, I already have one running on that machine so, not a biggie.

The tricky bit, and really this is the good part, is name parsing and automatically kicking them to divx

Now I'm a pretty good db designer and a pretty good vb coder...

SOOOOOO.......

If someone knows a decent command line Divx Converter, I should be able to post source code in a couple of days.

Anyone interested???

Plaese, Please, Please :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
But.... it took about 3 hours of conversion time, and can't be done in batch.

I've been playing with Divx Networks' Dr. Divx program to do the conversions in batch (which rocks!), but the divx 5.1 codec is significantly slower and now my encode times are about 8 hours! (Sorry DXN, no disrepect.)

Anyone have a good system for doing this?

Thanks,

AmoebaMan

I recall using Dr.DiVx's free trial a few months ago to compress The Matrix (that I ripped from a DVD I own). I did it at work on my laptop (P4M @1.8GigHz w/512k). And I dont recall it taking any longer than It would have taken to watch the movie, perhaps even less. In fact I recall it being pleasantly quick. So 8 hours for a 30 minute sitcom seems outta whack. I think I used the High quality (standrd Setting) The VOB was 6+gigs, the Divx was 1.4gigs

While compressing check your CPU stats. It should be pegged at 100%, and the Dr.Divx executable should be at the top of the applications listing sorted on CPU usage (decending). If not, then something else has higher priority than Dr.DivX .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slack,

Definitely... it's something either wrong with the newer codec, or with the settings I'm using.

I'm still playing with the settings... I can get about 70fps for a 352x240 conversion, but I'd rather do 720x480 (720x540 outta the Replay, right?). I get about 20fps for 720x480 progressive and 7-10fps for interlaced. X2 cause I always use two-pass encoding...

Does interlacing in the conversion make it look better or worse? Skip the obvious answers, I mean does the divx codec really make an interlaced file? Should effectively double the bandwidth economy, right?

It's weird though.... it takes twice as long to encode an interlaced file... from an interlaced mpeg file... Does this make sense?

Thanks,

AmoebaMan

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Chain777,

I'm still playing with all the settings (and encoders), so it's far from being a process right now, but I'd be happy to collaborate with you if you want.

If you're waiting for a DVD burner, there's an Optorite 4x DVD burner which even does HD-burn (1400megs on a CD-R) for $133. I keep seeing it on Techbargains.com for sale from LiveWarehouse.com. Might be a good, cheap solution.

LKuperSmith,

Thanks for the tip... I was using Dr.Divx 1.0.2, so I installed 1.0.2p and it's back up to a decent framerate. I'm curious what resolution, etc... you're using.

Maybe you, me and Chain777 could figure out the ultimate setting.

-AmoebaMan
1st, on the DVD burner: I'm still holding out until the 8x burners are out (Plextor is the 1st, with others soon to follow), and then will invest in one of the 'older' 4x burners that support all the media types. I figure by then I'll be able to pick on up for

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
I'm confused you say 70fps, as in frames per second.

Why would you want anything besides 30, or 29.97 to be exact?
He's referring to the performance in encoding; how many fps the encoding averages. It has nothing to do with the frame rate of the finished video.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've been sticking to a 1500kbps bitrate, just for a good, round number. I wanna keep it as close to the original resolution as possible, just to minimize artifacting. With commercials, it always comes out to right at 350megs. Should be about 280megs without...

I was asking about interlacing vs. de-interlacing as a quality thing. Interlacing was the first-ever form of video compression, so I wondered if, by leaving it interlaced, divx would effectively get twice as good quality for the same bitrate.

Just gotta bug someone into writing a frontend for the ReplayTools, so I can clip out commercials as a batch action. I used to have an mp3 encoder that would automatically encode a folder of waves into a separate folder of mp3s. Getting something like this for MPEG -> Divx is my ultimate goal.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:

I was asking about interlacing vs. de-interlacing as a quality thing. Interlacing was the first-ever form of video compression, so I wondered if, by leaving it interlaced, divx would effectively get twice as good quality for the same bitrate.

-AmoebaMan
If I'm understanding you, the fact that you have to deinterlace is inherent in Replay files; they're NTSC TV files that are interlaced by default; and without deinterlacing the output would be garbage.

Maybe I'm missing something here, like I said it's been a while since I've messed with Divx encoding. All I can say is my results after doing the procedure explained above produced good results. I'm working on improving it more; and would be really interested on everyone else's results using different methods/encoding tools/codecs; etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The software is working fine but when we open the show player options it automatically goes to windows media player 9.0 default players, the audio is coming fine but video does not. We installed the latest codecs for windows media player but the problem is still there. I think the problem is in windows media player codecs.

We even tried Divx player, no good

Any suggestions

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chain777,

That's my point too.... since the original broadcast is interlaced, I'm asking if the video quality would be better if left interlaced. Cause when it's converted to progressive, there are probably bound to be strange artifacts. Plus, I intend to run these back out to an interlaced (standard) TV, as opposed to watching them on a computer.

But.... I'm not sure how the divx codec handles interlacing. And still curious why making an interlaced file takes more time when the original file is interlaced.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
971 Posts
This may not be obvious, but my recommendation is to use the exact same method that others are using to successfully create DVD archives of ReplayTV files: Use Womble to edit and "correct" the file transferred using DVArchive. Then just use your favorite DivX encoder on the resulting MPEG-2 file. Instructions can be found on many threads here as well at my web site (see my signature below)

Womble is simple to use, fast, and the resulting MPEG-2 file should be easily processed using your favorite DivX codec. The only down side is that it's not cheap at just over $100.00. But, the resulting MPEG-2 file will be have good audio/video sync, and be "importable" or "processable" by just about anything.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does the Gordon Knot pack have anything that will allow you to convert to DivX on the command line? I'd personally like to script converting some of my stuff to DivX.

Basically I want to drop a MPG/EVT/NDX into a directory and automate having RTVTools chop the commercialls, then DivX the resulting MPG, then delete all files except the DivX. I could probably work out writing a batch file to do that no problem... I just need to find something to convert to DivX on the command line.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
This thread is going all over the place...hard to follow. It seems we're all talking about different things.

My comment had to do with making Divx/Xvid files using Gordian Knot. I've had great success with this FREE software package creating Divx files.

I agree with jbarr on using Womble; if you NEED to. If no editing is involved, there's no need for Womble if you use G-Knot to convert to Divx/Xvid. I know, because I've already encoded a half hour cartoon and an hour documentary with EXCELLENT results; video was excellent quality and the audio was in perfect sync. I haven't tried editing out commercials yet, but I'll experiment with some other FREE tools before plunking down $$$ on software. When/If I find a viable solution, I'll post it here.

So back to "ONE" solution to the original question: "Does anyone have a decent method from converting ReplayTV shows to Divx?"

YES...

Click here then click on the 'download' section and download 'Gordian Knot rippack 0.28.5' and 'Gordian Knot codec pack 1.4'.

Once downloaded, install...yes I know Divxpro has spyware. It's easily removed if you go to the 'GUIDE' section on doom9's site and follow the instructions for using and setting up Divx/Xvid. If you go to the Divx 5 section it's all spelled out. This is the best place to start if you want to learn how to do a Divx or Xvid encode using G-Knot. It's not as easy as 1-2-3...there's a learning curve and lots of trial and error. It took me a couple weeks before I felt fairly comfortable with it, but I'm glad I took the time because the results have been very good; I'm especially pleased with my first attempt at Replay file to Divx conversions.

If you don't want to go through this, go ahead and buy one of the 'automatic' solutions. I've never used one and can't imagine it would be as flexible and feature packed as what I'm using now, but it WILL be easier to figure out...but I bet the results won't be as good.;)

@Amoebaman

If the source is interlaced it has to be deinterlaced to convert to Divx. If you don't, the resulting file will be garbage. I use field deinterlacing in G-Knot, and yes it slows down the process...more processing involved. (I think you need to do some research on the difference between interlaced and progressive signals).

*I'm still experimenting with these Replay files, and I'm trying to come up with the best settings to encode these at. .I am NO expert at this. I don't have any background in A/V; just learning by trial and error, so don't take anything I say as gospel. I'm not even sure of some of the terminology.

I bet Rich A could explain this better than me.

I always watch my Divx's on a 'standard' TV.:)

BTW, I noticed just now that doom9's site is either down or running real slow. The link IS good

Amoebaman, here's a good place to start: Link

And for playback of Divx/Xvid files, I use zoom player . This is the latest beta version and I haven't had any problems with it. It has more custom features than any other player I've seen. You can even set up a 'quick skip' for 30 seconds like replay; or change it to skip whatever amount of time you want. The standard version is free, the pro version adds DVD support; which I don't need...I use PowerDVD for that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AmoebaMan: The sky is blue.

Chain777: No, the sky is blue.

AmoebaMan: That's what I said, the sky is blue.

Chain777: No it's not. The sky is BLUE!

I don't see anything contradictory in what we've said...

I understand progressive vs. interlaced -- that's not the argument. What I'm asking is if anyone has used the interlace feature of recent Divx versions and noticed whether it is better or worse for similar purposes.

It's my understanding that Divx 5.05 and later can create an interlaced divx video file, hence no need to de-interlace an interlaced video. I figured since I'm going from interlaced already, back to interlaced through the LiteOn set-top DVD player, that I could avoid weird de-interlacing artifacts by staying interlaced.

If I was doing TV-out from a PC, this wouldn't be a useful option -- all PCs render video progressively, and then the TV-out circuitry re-interlaces it.

Chain777, don't take my emphasis personally, I'm just frustrated that we seem to be arguing different sides of the same point.

-AmoebaMan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.