AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought my ReplayTV 5080 just before they sold the business to D&M Holdings... great timing!! I held onto everything in case I decided to take it back, holding my breathe until D&M announced they would continue to support the channel guide (the unit is worthless without that, I guess). So now that the other shoe has dropped, I am getting into the unit, I've picked up DVarchive and it works okay for downloading and streaming video, but I've got a ton of Home Video I'd like to ship over to the ReplayTV. How do I do this? DVarchive failed to produce anything when I asked it to import the home video footage (all in DV format straight from the firewire capture in Ulead -- they play fine in WM 6 thru 9 -- I think they are all in MPEG-2 format). Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, there's not much that can't be done. Perhaps there is no way to do it now. All we need is a conversion tool... a program that we create the proper index files. DVarchive can upload to the ReplayTV, we just need a tool to create the proper format files. :(

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pawnslinger
Okay, there's not much that can't be done. Perhaps there is no way to do it now. All we need is a conversion tool...
Well, I agree, but that conversion isn't easy which is why it's not been done/released yet. Creating the index files from a properly formatted MPEG isn't a biggies and DVA can already do that. But getting video into a format that the RTV can handle is not so simple -- in short, I wouldn't hold your breath and/or delay plans to use other means to get your home videos into RTV format (i.e. using manual record).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, well, I already have a DVD burner. No need to get them to the ReplayTV at all. Just use something like DVDit and pop them into the DVD player in the living room. It would be alot nicer though if the ReplayTV could act as a video server for the family. Perhaps D&M Holdings should be reading this forum. I've been looking for a video server for my house for a long time. ReplayTV has almost made it. Perhaps D&M will take it the rest of the way. I can't believe that I am the only customer for this sort of personal video system (but my son says I am). Heck, if there was a program, like Womble, that would produce Replayer format files, I'd buy it in a hearbeat. :(

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
pawnslinger, you're on the same wavelength as me. I see the Replay as being really close (but just oh-so-not-quite) to a multimedia jukebox for the family. I think the day is coming and we're just a little impatient.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.