AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the discussions on Canadian usage. My specific question has to do with content. I have "Rogers Digital Cable" using a "Scientific Atlanta" cable box. Is this a problem? Does anyone have experience with this setup? I have not purchased the Replay unit yet, but I am looking at the 5060 with broadband. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Registered
640 Posts
Replay doesn't support Canadian systems. There is an early effort in abother thread that is discussing using XMLTV listings to get around the decision to not allow non-USA customer support.

You didn't mention if you had broadband internet connections. Without that, it will be difficult to activate, connect as there are no Canadian dial in numbers available. At lease a few connections are needed to get your box active, clock set etc.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The "early effort" is a windows program to do this.

There is also a more mature method of doing this using a Linux server, originally developed for replaytv 3000's. That method will also work with a replaytv 5000, with a slight change to the getcg2.pl script. See http://rns.prest.ca/ for details. Nobody had really documented how to set this up for a 5000 yet, but it is basically the same procedure, but you can skip the phone line simulator, pppd, and transproxy parts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wish there was an idiots way to do this. My parents have a vacation home in Winsor that I often use and they have a BEV hook-up that I pay half on. It would be nice to have a HD full of shows when I go there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although I am using the Showstopper 1000 series, i have connected a rogers digital cable box (Scientifica Atlanta) without any problems. Even the IR Blaster works fine. I use the phone line to connect to download the schedule for DirectTV once a week and use the manual record to record from the cable box without a program guide.

Good luck and e-mail me if you want more info.

Alan

·
Registered
833 Posts
FlipFlop is absolutely correct. prest's work is much of what the windows version is based on (and actually what I used at home for quite some time, the only reason I wrote the windows version is for people who dont/cant/wont run linux or dont have the ability to setup prest's rns. This includes a close friend of mine who asked me to write WiRNS for him.)

On the other hand tho, the "early effort" or WiRNS is true, but as of tonight has the same functionality as prests version (also without having rns.prest.ca break with every zap2it change (grr @ zap2 btw)) with the exception of some of the more detailed movie information. With the inclusion of micro_dns :)) @ FlipFlop) configuration and ease of use will most likely be addressed next.

-kjac

·
Registered
440 Posts
Maybe this is a good time for me to ask.... once again.... my question of "WHY". Replay Richard.... I am still waiting for a response.

There is no CRTC guidline on recording devices such as DVR's or VCR's. I checked directly with the office in Ottawa. I was also told that no company would need to file with the agency unless the device had sending or receiving capability.

I also called my local MP and got an answer with respect to the Federal governement position on using a DVR other than one supplied by Expressvu or any other Canadian signal carrier. He told me that there is no current or pending legislation to deal with these devices and that so long as there is no theft of service (read: signal and/or guide data) and that goods (read: DVR) were acquired legally and entered the country legally, then, it is okay to use them. He did say that there may or may not be copyright issues and author's rights issues which he couldn't comment on.

I made a comparison to him about a VCR I have which has "VCR plus" guide data capability. He said that he couldn't see much of a difference in the final result other than one device used videotape and the other used digital media.

In the meantime, kjac, gerry, ian, lee and all of the others who work hard on this community's behalf..... merci beaucoup et continuer. (Just had to let you know that there are lots of french-speaking Canadians who are just itching to use Expressvu with their Replay).

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
640 Posts
Maybe this is a good time for me to ask.... once again.... my question of "WHY". Replay Richard.... I am still waiting for a response.

===================================

You (we) have a similar experience with C-Band listings. In our case, we have a listing defined that supports our programming, and required a call from DNNA to Tribune to enable that listing as a Direct TV alternate, on the listing. It was explained in detail that no programming or other high level effort was required from Replay, but Richard answered NO.

For Canadian Users, it may (MAY) be an issue for local cable systems but the major national services (BEV/*Choice) should not be an issue. Perhaps it is a reluctance to contract time with a Canadian dial-in network?

I still don't understand why a product marketing team ignores niche markets where their product would be dominant.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My guess for lack of canadian service?

Cost benefit ratio. The number of different places they'd have to contract dial-up access is >= that of the states (larger geographic region up here) for 1/10th the people. Sure they'd need less lines, but they'd need them in as many pops (maybe a few less). DNNA is trying to turn around a company from bankruptcy, I doubt they'll be moving into any canadian markets any time soon. What I would like is for them to give us canadians some support (let a third party run a server to provide listings without us having ot hijack dns requests etc) but alas thats a dream, and I dont think TMS would like someone making a business model off their listings without paying them for it.

-kjac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.