AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you feel the same way, but in my opinion the Dish PVR 501 series is much more refined a product than the ReplayTV 5000 series.

My main complaints are with the interface (for example, there is no scrolling status bar of how far you are into a show, lag between button pushes) and certain lack of features that seem simple to implement.

One is, if I am watching a show, why can't I start recording from the beginning of where I started watching? The only option seems to be is to record from where you hit the button. Commercial advance is a great feature, but there is no reason for "simple" features to be slighted.

I did not read the manual so I could be missing something, but from my experience it is not possible.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I want some of whatever he/she is smoking. :p

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
i think you meant to click the forum right above this one on the list. but, since you're here anyway, could you please elaborate on the Dish PVR's ability to record a show based on a search for keywords in the programming description? it'd also be nice to hear about the Dish PVR's ability to automatically record a sitcom's one-hour special episode even if it moves to the timeslot next to its usual time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
I did not read the manual so I could be missing something, but from my experience it is not possible.
Wow, no ego from this poster.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have both systems, the DishPVR and ReplayTV 4080.

Without a doubt the qualily on the Dish PVR is better. It doesn't have to re-recode anything. The quality from live to recorded is the same.

But navigation and functions it does not have.

I was going to start a list but it's too long. ReplayTV dominates on Functions and easiest to use. The test is a daughter, wife, and when my mom visits (yes replayTV passes the "so easy mom can use it test).

T

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I have both, and my take on the Dish PVR is that it's brain dead.

And check out this thread.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
When comparing using ReplayTV with DishNetwork and the PVR501, the simple statements are:

ReplayTV has inferior picture and sound quality. The PVR501 has inferior software and PVR functionality. Which one is inferior depends on what you want and what display and audio system is used in conjunction with the PVR. If DirecTV offers the desired satellite programming, switch to DirecTV and use the DirecTV DVR Powered by TiVo is my recommendation. If the programming offered by DishNetwork is preferred, the choice is tougher, but I would choose a DishNetwork PVR either the PVR508 or PVR721 over any standalone PVR and separate satellite receiver.

Chris

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sparrent
I don't own a Tivo or Dish and can tell you that ReplayTV is better than both.
Spoken like a true expert.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oktane
....certain lack of features that seem simple to implement.

One is, if I am watching a show, why can't I start recording from the beginning of where I started watching? The only option seems to be is to record from where you hit the button. Commercial advance is a great feature, but there is no reason for "simple" features to be slighted.

Perhaps you should go back to school and RTFM. Anything you are watching can be "rewound" all the way back as far as either the time you first changed to that channel, or to the amount of your available free buffer space (which ever is less). I personally have been viewing a 2+ hour in the past and right before it ended had my wife walk in and want to see it from the beginning. I simply rewind it to the beginning and watch it, however it is just as possible to rewind to the beginning and record the buffer to a manual recording.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's amazing what brilliance comes out of the woodwork when someone asks a simple question. Some of you in this thread remind me of high school aged kids, with the "Macs suck" attitude when questioned about your PC. True intelligence means being able to see both sides of an argument.

It is clear that the Dish PVR has a fit and finish that ReplayTV lacks, in terms of stability and interace. Picture quality is also better due to direct capture of the satellite stream.

Replay has commercial advance and DVArchive.

I will read the manual when I get a chance. If someone could explain how to do record the pause buffer to a show that would be more helpful than silly comments.

·
Registered
427 Posts
OK, so you already stated that you don't read the manual, and even when you do, you never miss anything, and now you won't even bother to do a search of the forum to find out other information you want, you ask us to do it for you.

Who's acting like a high schooler now?

P.S. - While your first post did end with a question, you started with a negative statement about the Replay. What sort of a reaction would you reasonably expect?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
...It is clear that the Dish PVR has a fit and finish that ReplayTV lacks, in terms of stability and interace. Picture quality is also better due to direct capture of the satellite stream.

Replay has commercial advance and DVArchive.

I will read the manual when I get a chance. If someone could explain how to do record the pause buffer to a show that would be more helpful than silly comments.
I personally have experienced no issues of stability with my 4080 and 4508 - ever. And although you see them on this forum, this is the most active and prominent Replay forum on the web, so the few issues that come up are all seen here.

As for the interface, I can't imagine one that's much more basic and user-friendly than that of the Replay. The ability to sort your shows into logical categories of your choosing and name is extremely helpful. The remote control is extremely easy to learn for all that it can do. - and it's highly intuitive.

docmcse already pretty much nutshelled how to record the live buffer. You just need to have one of the outputs looped to one of the inputs. Then you set up a manual recording to record the looped input. To select the looped input, just press the Display key when you're highlighting the Channel field in the manual recording setup, and it'll let you select whatever input you want. I'll admit that this is one of the few things that's not strictly intuitive, but there are instructions on the screen when you get there (Channel/Input select).

Stick around - it's going to get better.

Tim

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sparrent
I don't own a Tivo or Dish and can tell you that ReplayTV is better than both.
That ends all argument, we now have the definitive answer. Post this on the TiVo forum also so those dummies can make the correct choice. It will save a lot of sleepless nights for those that have been trying to find some real information to help with a decision.

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help Tim I will try that. I wonder why Replay didn't implement a software implementation of this. If the stream is already stored for you to "rewind" live TV, why not allow the user to store the stream from the point he started watching....

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help Tim I will try that. I wonder why Replay didn't implement a software implementation of this. If the stream is already stored for you to "rewind" live TV, why not allow the user to store the stream from the point he started watching....
I've often wished for this and just figured some of these things will come as competition drives it. It's a drag that when you do a manual record you can't assign an appropriate program description to it if it's available.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
I've often wished for this and just figured some of these things will come as competition drives it.
Much of the competition already records the live buffer. TiVo standalone and DirecTV PVRs do. The UltimateTV DirecTV PVR will with version 3.7. At least some of the Dish Network PVRs do as well.

Chris

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
Much of the competition already records the live buffer. TiVo standalone and DirecTV PVRs do. The UltimateTV DirecTV PVR will with version 3.7. At least some of the Dish Network PVRs do as well.

Chris
Absolutely - that is precisely why I'm figuring/hoping Replay will be doing it soon as well.

Tim

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
So the Dish PVR has a record buffer function. Great! for shows under 1 hour in length that is, since the buffer is limited to 60 minutes, you can't rewind more than that in a longer show. This is "polished"? yes, if there are no programs longer than 60 minutes. My "brain dead" assessment of the Dish PVR still stands. And what is the Tivo buffer's limit?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.