AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for an application that will allow us to program the 4000 series replays over our own network. We have 9 units connected to A/V inputs from a routing switcher. We simply want the Replays to come on at specific times and record. We do not have broadband connection and we do not need a program listing however we do need to have the clock set correctly all of the time. I am looking for someone that might have the software or the knowledge to accomplish this task.

Thanks!
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Seems like a very expensive solution to the problem, if you are not using the guide and do not care about Commercial Advance, you'd be better off with a cheaper stand alone TiVo Series I with TubroNet and the local webserver. Very easy to accomplish what you want for about $350 less a box.

/carmi

·
Registered
412 Posts
jtl figured out how to send remote control codes (including commands to set up recordings) via HTTP over the Replay's LAN connection. You could work up a small script that could use these command sequences to set up new manual recordings (and even name them if desired). The advantage of naming them would be that you know their position (alphabetically) on a given unit's list of scheduled recordings. The post for these commands can be seen at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=HTTP+remote

As far as the clock goes, all you need to do is simulate or allow proxy connections to the time server that the Replay connects to. A decent programmer should be able to read through what's been posted here about proxy RNS servers, etc. and come up with a working solution.

Your post is intriguing, sounds like you've invested some serious $$$ in your setup. If you need anything very specific (assuming your purposes here are for legal--if they aren't, shame on you for stirring up trouble when us private users are even struggling for the simple right to record and watch legally-licensed TV in our own homes), you may want to contact SB about them doing some code customization for you.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
Seems like a very expensive solution to the problem, if you are not using the guide and do not care about Commercial Advance, you'd be better off with a cheaper stand alone TiVo Series I with TubroNet and the local webserver. Very easy to accomplish what you want for about $350 less a box.

/carmi

Going with Tivo at this point would be more expensive since he (or she) has stated "We have 9 units... ". The capital investment has already been made.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Tivo is always the answer, especially to questions on the ReplayTV forum :)

Seriously tho, what is the ultimate goal? Maybe we can help better if we know the actual desired outcome.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I bet that they could sell those units on E-bay and pick up Series I TiVo receivers and still come out quite a bit ahead. Also, the TiVo webserver app would make this much easier than trying to write a script to emulate the IR remote presses.

/carmi

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
I bet that they could sell those units on E-bay and pick up Series I TiVo receivers and still come out quite a bit ahead. Also, the TiVo webserver app would make this much easier than trying to write a script to emulate the IR remote presses.

/carmi
That's hilarious. :rolleyes:

Somehow I suspect it wasn't meant to be funny. Of course he's correct about one thing. Series I TiVo's seem to be best used unplugged from the mothership these days. Still... takes an awful lot of hacking.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
takes an awful lot of hacking.
Seems like a lot less hacking then trying to create a local time service, and a script to simulate remote key presses to add manual recording times.

As described, the application is not a PVR, but a simple HD recorder and as such, none of the benefits of the 4,000 really matter.

/carmi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually it does 'look' hard. It is fairly simply to set up an application to make open sockets and pass the http requests to multiple devices. A single PC application can easily handle a 80 connections telnet sessions so I don't see why 9 temporary ones should be an issue.

If the unit are on a local hub with no connection to the real world, just put a PC on the LAN to act as a timeserver and give it the ip address or the real time server on that LAN port. So long as it was synced externally on occasion, it would allow the replays to think they were talking to the real thing.

Using tivo's would not remove the programming problems, if anything the poor menu structure would make it harder to control, although you could probably create database entries. I have 9 tivo's networked to a 2TB video server, so I have a pretty good idea how that works. (If my two showstoppers had been networkable I would have used them instead, but at the time replay had no ethernet connectivity.)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I forgot something... the HTTP remote control is one method to set up manual recordings, but you can also use the XML-based protocol used when the Replay contacts the mothership to download changes made on MyReplayTV.

This simply involves setting up a dummy server, but I believe there is working source code out there for this (search this forum for RNS, proxy server, etc.), especially since the guide is not the focus here. I believe all I've seen from members of this forum has been GPL, LGPL, or BSD-style, but remember to check before making it a key component of your setup.

By default the phone-home server connection happens once a day still even on the 4000s (I believe), but you can either edit a file on the Replay to change the connection timing or you can force extra connects using 243-Zones commands initiated through the aforementioned HTTP interface.

Also, remember to back up the current version of the OS and make sure the units cannot access SB's servers, otherwise future changes to the protocols or functionality could make all the remote control and other interfaces encrypted and thus unaccessible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.