AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a lightning strike Saturday which fried the modem in both the Replay and my computer. Does anyone know what type of modem is used? Also is it easily replaceable? In the Replay that is. Any help would be appreciated.

DonG

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The modem in the replay 20xx and the replay30xx/showstopper are different.

ekaxel knows a tech in Oregon that has fixed a few modem problems. You could private message ekaxel for assistance or perhaps he'll reply to this post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be a long shot but I found the following by using a Google search for "33.6 rockwell modem ic"

The site is: http://www.73.com/a/0065.shtml

MODEM CHIPSETS - EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY!

Rockwell L8641-13 33.6 Modem Chip 2400 Pieces, date code 9707 $9.00each Rockwell 6657-12 9800 Fax Modem Chip 3100 Pieces, date code 9720 $7.50 each Minimum purchase 1000 sets. TG200

It appears this site only deals in large quantities but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Those aren't the right ones. Please let me know what model showstopper you have and i'll try to help. It isn't necessarily the modem. There are protection diodes, an optical switch and driver between the modem and the phone line.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Everyone, its easy to forget to surge protect your phone lines and TV cable lines. Its important to protect your expensive equipment connecting to phone and cable lines. Many of us have learned this the hard way. Many years ago we fried a fax machine and a VCR this way. The way things were wired back then if the VCR didn't totally blow out first the signal would have gone on to trash the TV too. Another story is a friend of mine keep having trouble with his modems and answering machines all the time. Weird things were happening malfunctions and short life span. He was buying new modems and answer machines a couple times a year. He lives out in countryside and has many storms. The phone company was no help. I finally convinced him he might be getting surges on the phone lines and he bought protectors for the phone lines. He has been on the same modem and answering machine for two years without trouble.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well - protect your lines all you want (I protect mine) however if a lightning will strike nearby there is always a chance that your electronic equipment circuits will fry from the induced current, completely randomly. The only protection would be cryo cooled super conductive shields, but those are not practical at home. Oh, and by the way - I heard that those who make protectors don't usually pay the damages, the best bet is a home insurance policy, and than lightnings are god send (lol) cause they replace with a now current equipment.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't know ANYBODY who has been reimbursed by the surge protector warranties.

I read the fine print on one I bought. You must have each piece of equipment hooked up to their surge protector including all serial numbers on file with them. Then if you have a claim they only kick in AFTER your homeowners insurance pays their part. Which leaves only the deductible for the surge protector company to pay. And you need to send in the surge protector for them to examine, and the final decision is solely theirs, on whether or not the surge protector failed to protect your equipment.

No wonder they can advertise $50,000 warranties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Replay is a 20 hour model, about 2 years old. I appreciate the replies to this problem. I have had problems before with surges in the phone lines always during a storm and have lost 23 computer modems. Does Sonicblue do repair work on Replays or are you onn your own?

DonG

Fayetteville, GA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's make that 3 modems.

DonG

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I certainly would expect replay can fix the modem. Most owners don't go to the manufacturer only because it's expensive (guesstimate $150 to $200) and the turn around is slow 1 to 2 months. Your results may vary. Give them a call and see what they say.

ekaxel's tech may be cheaper. Not sure about faster.

This may be insurance covered so expense might be a lesser consideration.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm posting from out of town at the moment, but we should have modems in hand ( and my unit repaired) by the middle of the week when I get home. I'll keep you posted. Repairs should be quick now that we have a stock of parts. Modem replacement runs less than $ 100 (+ shipping).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where did you say you got the modem and how much of a job is it to replace, being only average on tech skills? Thanks.

DonG

·
Registered
726 Posts
I will be home wednesday. An amateur can't do this. it requires special equipment to remove and replace the large surface mount chip.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonG
Where did you say you got the modem and how much of a job is it to replace, being only average on tech skills? Thanks.

DonG
Don, I think ekaxel got the replay 2020 modem from these people http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post1070347 but the $100 minimum order makes it too expensive unless you run a electronic repair shop and need other items as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.