AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted the following on the DVD-lab Forum and was wondering what people thought:

*BEGIN POST*

aiight, i got the RTV mpeg to work, but i may have lost a little quality and it takes quite a bit of time to re-encode....here's what worked:

1) took 12gb mpeg into womble and split it into 2 parts - saved as PART1.mpg and PART2.mpg...after the save, neither had "errors", but the bitrate jumped to over 16000 at some point

2) took PART1.mpg and edited it into smaller chunks in Womble...one of which was PREGAME.mpg

3) edited out the commercials in Womble using the "copy to clipboard method" of PREGAME.mpg

4) saved PREGAME.mpg back to a commercial-less file
NOTE: if i were to take this PREGAME.mpg file into DVD-lab, it would choke during the compile

5) opened the PREGAME.mpg in Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7

6) re-encoded using UMS7's internal encoder into a file called PREGAME-ulead.mpg...which, surprisingly was 650mb compared to the original 550mb of PREGAME.mpg

7) dropped the PREGAME-ulead.mpg into DVD-lab and presto! compiled like a champ :)

my guess w/ the problem of the RTV mpegs is not all the errors, but the variable bitrate jumpin out of the dvd spec range of 10000....now i don't know too much about the tech end of dvds, but i have picked up some stuff along the way ;)...from what i could see, when UMS7 was re-encoding the PREGAME.mpg, it capped the max bitrate at 8000, which is why i think DVD-lab accepted the PREGAME-ulead.mpg file so gracefully...just a thought.

*END POST*

bascially, since i'm not as technical as a lot of members on this board when it comes to DVD MPEGs, i was wondering the following:

What's the bitrate range for a DVD compliant MPEG? up to 10,000? i know that my Fiesta Bowl MPEG spikes just over 16,000 according to PSAVtrumento.

Is re-encoding in UMS7 a good move or should i wait for DVD-lab to support RTV files natively? i'm a little worried about quality.

After the re-encode, the UMS7 created MPEG is about 15% larger than the original, why is this?

thanks for the info...sturmie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fyi, there is a new version of DVD-lab just (pre)released...u can find the version history over HERE and links to the latest update in the FORUM THREAD .

support for native RTV files looks like it's slated for the next release and not this .416 one....good see Oscar's got it on the list of things to fix before he actually releases the product.

sturmie

·
Registered
412 Posts
As soon as I can create a DVD from a Replay file with DVDLab (and they will take it), I will be buying DVDLab. Otherwise, it will have to wait until I get around to it, which could be many many months.

Being the absolute best DVD authoring software I have ever seen, means I will get it, but it could be a long time before I can rationalize it for non-ReplayTV use.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i totally agree....but from what Oscar has said on the board and the work he's done already to improve on the initial pre-release, the "using ReplayTV MPEGs" issue should be solved very soon....man, i can't wait!

sturmie

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have a 4?00, it will work now. I have at 4080, and have done 20+ hour long shows in medium and high quality using just DVArchive, remove-gops, fix-times, and DVDLab. It appears that the glitches Oscar needs to get around are files from 5000s (some succeed, some fail), and high bitrates which exceed DVD spec.

The nice thing about DVDLab is that it does not include an Mpeg encoder, so the file that goes in is the one written to disk. I have used Roxio and Sonic MyDVD. Both love to reencode the files growing the sizes by 20-30%. They also estimate wildly on how much space you might use. DVDLab is far more accurate on how much is used/left. (because it has an easier job)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
impatient,

can u describe the steps u used for gettin a 4xxx series high quality RTV file to work? i have a 4516 (formerly a 4504 :)) that i used to record that 12gb file in question above. i've tried to use fix-time and remove-gops, but i'm a little confused on the steps i'm supposed to use. basically, what steps did u use - from RTV to DVD (uding DVD-lab)?...u can skip the DVArchive step, i know that one ;).

thanks...sturmie

btw, i have a variable bitrate peak of just over 16,000 (which is out of the DVD spec range) at some point in that MPEG according to various programs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread where we were discussing RPTV mpegs. Your reports of those huge bit rate spikes are bogus. The utilities being used to gather that information can't handle the incorrect headers of the RPTV mpegs.

To prove this point I had a few guys send me their raw replayTV mpegs on a data DVD disc. Just as they were off-loaded from their ReplayTVs.

I got several discs from a few guys. EVERY single example they sent me worked perfectly in SpruceUp AND DVD-Lab as well as any other authoring software I could try.

One guy had huge audio sync problems. Not for me. One guy had a nominal bit rate of 9.8 mb/s with spikes over 11 or 12. Totally bogus. These were all High Quality mpegs. In fact the nominal bit was really in the 6 to 7 mb/s range with peaks no higher than 9 or so.

All I did to get these to work was to "patch" the first header to reflect what the bit rate REALLY should be. I picked an arbitrary number like 8 Mb/s, then used DVDPatcher to patch just the first header.

Of course all the popular utilities still showed the nominal at 9.8 and huge spikes. But I knew that to be false and just ignored it. The DVD-Lab program accepted them fine and I authored several DVDs and even sent some back to a few guys.

If you want to "feel" better about it then patch ALL the headers. Only takes a few seconds for an hour mpeg. Patch them all to read a 8 mb/s. Then run that mpeg through something like BitRateVeiw and see what it NOW says is the nominal.

The point is many authoring programs and utilities are expecting to see "proper" mpegs with "proper" headers. (I think) they base a lot on what they read from the headers. After all, they ARE designed to only work with compliant mpeg .. they have to be or you would be having all kinds of problems.

But for the MOST case the real culprit here is not the mpeg. It's the mpeg headers. The Replay Mpegs were never expected to be used for authoring. Just streaming and playback within the ReplayTV environment with the ReplayTV decoder. It's doesn't give a fig newton about the headers. It just plays .. disregarding them.

Another example of how you can prove this. Remember the audio sync problem? Just playing it with your favorite PC based player worked great. But after you EDIT it .. the audio would be out of sync. That's because a lot of editors don't know how to handle the odd ball ReplayTV mpegs, but players (again) don't have to worry about it.

DVD mpeg is supposed to be capped at a 9 mb/s bit rate. But don't give that figure too much concern. In my experience an occasional spike here and there doesn't really affect the playback. Even so, those spikes while they are there .. are actually not as bad as the utility is reporting.

Every sample I got had either audio sync problems or huge spikes according to their owners. EVERY single one produced a perfect playing DVD without any encoding or modification of the mpeg .. other than just patching the headers.

By doing so, you are NOT really changing any bit rate. You are really not changing the mpeg at all. You are just changing the bogus header information so the authoring software you are using can happily do it's thing.

Now there ARE other issues (with PTS errors and GOP sizes etc.) But frankly I've burned well over 200 DVDs all with my 4080 (and lately a few dozen from 5000 series mpeg that were sent to me)

One guy (the guy with the sync problem) got my DVD back (of the mpeg he couldn't author) and found it played perfectly everywhere. This was one with supposedly huge bit rate spikes and severe audio sync problems.

So he tried it my way. Changed the first header to read something OTHER than 9.8 mb/s (in his case 8.0) Then ran it through Womble's GOP fixer to get rid of the PTS errors. Then edited it with Womble using my instructions on my web site. The result was a perfect DVD first try .. after months of failures. The only other thing I had him do was to use my own utility to off-laod the mpegs. You can download it from

http://www.pcphotovideo.com/ReplayPage.htm

For information about the ReplayTV mpegs etc. look for thread title beginning "New to Womble" in this forum. Jump over to the 3rd page which is where I started taking "bad" ReplayTV samples from guys and making them work.

I don't spend any more than 20 minutes from the beginning of the edit to a ready to burn DVD Title set. I'm amazed at the hoops guys are jumping through for no reason.

1. Your choice .. patch either just the first .. or all the headers to 8 mb/s nominal bit rate.

2. Then parse it through Womble's GOP checker. (although I don't even usually bother with that any more.

3. Do you editing by copying the wanted sections of your movie to the Womble's clip list. When you are done with your editing and have several clips in the clip list then drag them back to the workspace .. in order, one on top of the next.

This is important. SOMETIMES if you choose to just "cut out" the commercials and let Womble join the two separated sections back while in the work area, there can be problems at that join point. Also audio sync problem. If you do it my way, you'll reduce that possibility.

4. Forget about bit rates or what any of the other programs are telling you. De-multiplex the program stream into elementary video and audio streams and use those as imported assets for your favorite DVD authoring program.

Although the ReplyTV mpegs CAN have other problems caused by momentary interruptions in video or other anomalies, those problems really don't affect the viewing .. but DO create huge problems when editing or using those mpegs for authoring. But those are rare. The REAL culprit is the bogus header information that most utilities use. I don't trust any of them.

Another example. Check the GOPs. Some of the mpegs supplied to me had reported GOP sequences with 90 or more pictures. Holy Bits and Bytes Bat Man !! It ain't so. Just de-mux that mpeg and then check those GOPs again. Guess what? All perfect .. all under 15. Note you didn't re-encode anything or change the GOP structure. But the elementary stream reports it properly when the program stream doesn't. Hmmmm, could be the program stream's bogus headers again no? I think so. Just maybe, when you de-muxed the mpeg, you removed that bogus information. Hey like "Judy the Godess of Love" often says .. "It COULD happen".

(by the way, it's 15 pictures for PAL GOPS and 18 for NTSC.) Some utilities will report 30 and 36. They just have a different way of figuring GOPS (which just makes for more confusion) You see each picture is comprised of two fields. So THEIR interpretation is 30 FIELDS per GOP which is really 15 pictures.

Sorry to run on .. (I seem to be doing that a lot lately) Try it my way. Spend less time fussing with the authoring and more time enjoying the videos.

Now if someone can tell me where I can buy an "inexpensive" meter to measure the cable TV analog signal strength here, I'd really be happy. Another problem and another thread ..

Opps forgot .. If you need DVDPatcher here's the URL: http://mitglied.lycos.de/dvdpatcher/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sturmie
impatient,

can u describe the steps u used for gettin a 4xxx series high quality RTV file to work?
Ok. Used Babylon 5 Crusade, high quality 2.7 GB.

1) Load 1032857200.mpg into PowerDVD, and used scroll wheel to fast forward to find the commercials. Write down the start and stop time of each commercial. I wind up with six commercial segments to cut. Seven if I have to trim the start.

2) Run remove-gops with only 3 cuts at a time from the DOS prompt starting at the end of the file. If I try more than three cuts, it goes wonky. If specifying here to end, you can use a value that is greater than the length of the file. I use 61 minutes.

2a) remove-gops.exe -i 1032857200.mpg -o a -r 32:13-35:13 -r 47:14-49:14 -r 57:34-61:00

2b) remove-gops.exe -i a -o b -r 3:23-6:23 -r 17:45-19:45 -r 26:12-28:12

3) fix-times.exe b crusade.mpg

4) Load crusade.mpg back into PowerDVD, and check how the cutting turned out. The timestamps do drift a little near the end of the file, so for times in the 40-60 minutes, I ususally do the cut a second early.

5) When happy. import into DVDLab. File size is about 1.9 GB.

6) Delete the temp files a and b

PS. I have 12 of the 13 episodes. I am missing "The Rules of the Game".

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich A
Sorry to run on .. (I seem to be doing that a lot lately)
no way man...that's ALL very good info...i'll try it tomorrow (i have off for Good Friday :)).

just to clarify, ur saying that my PREGAME.mpg that was cut from the larger 12gb one using Womble without fixing the GOP errors first will work fine in DVD-lab if i patch the bogus header info first? to let u know, when DVD-lab chokes during the compile, i'm getting "GOP size out of memory" or something like that.

i'll try the DVDPatcher proggie and let u know.

thanks again for the detailed post...made a lot of sense all laid out like that....sturmie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich,

well, i ran the dvd patcher on my troublesome PREGAME.mpg and it still says "GOP size is out memory size" during the compile....man, my audio sync problem is gone, but now i have this prob.

fyi, i used DVDPatcher, demuxed the MPEG in Womble and then dropped it into DVD-lab (thinking that maybe the DVD-lab demuxer was the prob) - same thing....GOP size error.

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, you're getting closer at least. Let's see. I'll think about this a bit and get back to you later tonight. Don't despair. I really think there's a solution.

That GOP size problem is something I've seen in other authoring programs.

I remember having that once myself and it ended up being a trashed frame. I think I found it by using SpruceUp to input the elementary stream. When you use an elementary (video only) stream with SpruceUp and a GOP error occurs, it will tell you which number GOP it is. Then I used BitRateViewer to find the time where the GOP was. (BRV will give you a list of GOPS with their time codes.

Once I found out where the problem was I then stuck it back into Womble and scrubbed to the time I was looking for. I went back and forth one or two seconds frame by frame and found one frame that had lots of "blocks" and other junk. I cut just that one frame out and then imported the edited mpeg back into SpruceUp and everything was fine again.

The important thing to learn from that example is that you can have a serious glitch in just one or two frames and you'd never notice it. One frame is like 1/30th of a second. Flashes by so fast you eye/brain connection misses it. But the authoring software is examining every single frame one by one and will choke when it finds one.

I've been using that DVD-Lab program for a few weeks now. Man it is GREAT! I think it's going to replace my good old SpruceUp as my choice of DVD authoring software. It's about as simple and intuitive and yet has a LOT more features and of course is not a "white elephant" like the now defunct SpruceUp program. I love it.

Note, I always use Womble to de-multiplex. I think it's a little faster than the DVD-Lab de-muxer. Did DVD-lab give you any indication as to where it found the GOP error? Like a percent or something ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just thought I'd throw my .02 in on this subject.

I also have had few and minor problems authoring my 5040 (5200) MPEGs to DVD. And I do it in a much simpler matter, but with 1 program I've never seen anyone mention.

Step 1: Load Womble (of course) and cut out commercials. Unlike others I just do the "cut out commercials" method, not the "copy and paste" method. I have found, like Rich says, that very occasionally I'll get a funky cut and have audio sync problems. So I review every cut, (Play back 2 seconds, play through the cut a few seconds,) to check them, and if there is a problem, undo, and move the beginning or end cut point by 1 frame. That clears up the problem. (Which side, beginning or end is trial and error. If one doesn't work, I undo again and do the other.) Then I save the resulting stream, using all the default settings. Womble then only re-encodes the cut points.

Step 2: Next I run ULEAD DVD Workshop. I haven't seen anyone else mention this software before, but it works great for me. of course I'm doing motion menus so it may be overkill for others. I only use this program to write out the DVD structure, not to burn the disk. This way I can check the structure out with PowerDVD before burning. Often I will also burn a DVD-RW and test it before committing to DVD-R. (I have only done 4 DVD's so far to DVD-R, as I get more experience, I'll be a little less cautious.)

So far I have burnt 2 compilations of Stargate SG1, 4 episodes per DVD (Medium quality,) with "first play" video, motion menus for selecting your episode and 9 chapter points per episode. Also I have compiled a couple of discs of Blues Clues for my son, 6 episodes per DVD, also with motion menus.

For the SG1 motion menus I use the 1 minute Theme/title intro segment from each season for the background video, cut and saved with womble, and 20 second clips from each episode, also cut and saved with womble. DVD Workshop then makes a 1 minute motion menu with 20 second repeating buttons. (Button video repeats 3 times.) I also title the buttons and the menu with static text.

--Matt

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Did DVD-lab give you any indication as to where it found the GOP error? Like a percent or something ?
nope...it just has that status bar when compiling, so i have an idea of when it happens (about a third of the way in), but nothing exact.

Quote:
I'll think about this a bit and get back to you later tonight. Don't despair. I really think there's a solution.
sounds good to me...i'll be around.

sturmie

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For mmcmains: Yes Ulead's products are okay. I got several of them. A lot of the confusion is because of all the variations of programs that people are using.

What is an important point (IMHO) is that IF your system is A-OK and all things normal then ANY of the popular programs should work.

I've used the ULEAD product with no problem. Ditto for the new DVD-Lab. And of course the good old SpruceUP. I used DVD-It, and played with some of the high end Spruce Technologies stuff (way outta my price range heh heh)

All of the work with my ReplayTV. I find myself asking this:

Why do all the variations of program all work for me?

Why do I never have any kind of audio sync problem?

Why can I author 3000, 4000, and 5000 ReplayTV Mpegs without a problem. Even samples sent to me that were un-usable to others?

I still say that about 90 percent of the common problems are system specific and THAT's why guys are going bonkers trying to find something wrong with mpegs or software, when there isn't really a problem with them. There ARE problems with the ReplayTV mpegs of course. But they don't show up that often.

As I recall, one of the guys in another thread had a constant audio sync problem. He sent me the video he couldn't get to work. I fixed the first header and that was all. Then sent him back a copy of the DVD I made from his source. He still had trouble with sound sync when he tried again to author a DVD after he saw how well my copy turned out. Still no luck.

So, he reformatted his hard drive and very carefully re-installed his operating system from scratch. He is now happily burning DVDs with NO trouble at all.

Does this mean everyone should start over with a new op. system? I don't know. But I've been doing these VCD, SVCD hybrid stuff and DVDs for more than a few years now. And I'm still using the same old system (A windows 2000 pro system). BUT, it is a dedicated system used only for my video capturing and editing and authoring. Maybe that's the final solution for some of you guys. I can justify the expense of a 2nd computer because video is a big part of my hobby. I do a LOT of archiving and experimental work with stuff. (Divx; is something that is most interesting as of late) Been converting ReplayTV mpeg to Divx; with pretty decent results.

Well, I'm rambling again. Sorry. I still say there's a lot of problems that can be caused by the computer system/operating system environment.

If Ulead's product works fine for you I'd be willing to bet everything else would as well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, like i said....Ulead Media Studio 7 worked to re-encode the individual cut MPEGs, but when i did the entire 12gb file, it throws the audio out of sync (progressively worse). looks like my only choice at this point is to cut the enitre file into sections (ie, pre-game, first quarter, second quarter, etc) and then re-encode each of those sections. cutting into sections will keep the GOP errors, but re-encoding will get rid of em so that DVD-lab will accept it.

only problem is, i don't know if i want to do that and waste all that time if Oscar is working on having DVD-lab accept all RTV files natively. i could spend a ton of time cuttin/re-encodin while risking quality loss, when in 2 weeks Oscar may have it fixed - he has a copy of the PREGAME.mpg to test w/ right now.....thing is, i really wanna get this game onto DVD tho :). decisions, decisions.

sturmie

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There must be something really weird with your Mpeg. In all the years I've been using ReplayTV mpeg I have NEVER once had to re-encode any of them to make them work. Yes, fixed headers, and cut out bogus frames and such, but frankly if I had to re-encode I'd take up something else to waste my time with.

But I understand your particular problem and recall this was a "one of a kind" capture you are trying to preserve. (I've been there and done that too) It's always the "special" ones that have the problems. heh heh.

Have you tried patching ALL the headers to read say 8 mb/s and then using womble to demux and then feed it to Ulead? I think you did try patching the first header .. but wonder if you've tried all of them?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
actually, the first thing i tried was patching all the headers in the PREGAME.mpg, but it still choked during the compile. after that, i demuxed the MPEG in Womble and then dropped it into DVD-lab - same thing. u are correct when u say that this is a "special one"...it means a lot to me to get this on to a good looking DVD....i can do it w/ Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 fine, but it's just not as cool and professional looking as it would be done in DVD-lab, which is why i don't want to waste my time doing it in DMF now and then have to re-do it in DVD-lab when the full release comes out.

sturmie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for all ur in depth suggestions.

I use U lead's DVD Move Factory 1, I was able to burn few DVD's after editing with Womble. But for some reasons at the end of making a Title set folder with DVD MF, it always asks for double the size of the MPEG files (as HD space) that are being burnt, I presume, it always reencodes my files hence taking atleast 2 to 2 1/2 hours for making a Title set Folder.

I will try the patching of the headers , if u could kindly , give us in one line steps of sequence of the proocess from the step of editing in Womble, like Do u demux first or edit first, and when to patch the headers.

I tried Spruceup ( the nonexistent version), initially, I had my WIN XP crashing everytime i tried making menus, later , It would reject some of the RTV Mpegs saying , not valid format.

Also, is DVD Maestro equivalent to Spruce Up?

Thanks

Jingcha

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For Sturmie,

I think you mentioned that it chokes partway though the compile. Is that still correct? Also does it fail at the approximately the same place?

Maybe you just have a couple glitched frames somewhere. I had a similar problem with the Sci-Fi showing of "Taken". Episode #5 had some damaged frames that just wouldn't let it compile. It was the only one of all the 10 2 hour episodes.

Do you have SpruceUp? Here's what I have done in the past. Demux your video. Bring in the video asset to SpruceUp. If it hits a problem it should pop up and give you a window showing which GOP has the problem.

Once you know that, you can use other tools to locate in and around that GOP and by slowing scrubbing through those few frames maybe actually see a frame that is all screwed up. Then cut out that frame(s). Might be something to play around with.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For ingcha:

Compiling a DVD Title Set to your hard drive should only take minutes. Most of the time my own are 3 or so minutes. The reason it's taking so long for you is probably because it's re-encoding the mpeg from scratch. It's doing that because DVD MF didn't like something in your mpeg and decided to re-encode it to fix it.

Although I haven't played with DVD MF in a long while, I seem to remember something about having the ability to NOT allow it to re-encode. In other words just compile the TS even if the mpeg is not up to MF's specs. Yes, you'll stand a chance that it will make a title set that is un-usable. But then maybe not. Could be DVD MF is TOO precise in it's requirments.

I'd also think the double file size needed would be because it's re-encoding. It's probably using a work file or maybe creating a whole 2nd file during the re-encode.

As for how I do my stuff, you'll have to remember that I don't have the header problems or sound sync problems with my RPTV mpegs. So I don't have to do a whole lot. Here is the miniumum.

1. Scan the thing with Womble's GOP fixer and let it fix anything it finds. Usually doesn't find anything but those PTS errors. I fix them.

2. Bring it into Womble and copy the wanted sections to the clip board. Then bring those clips back onto the workspace merging and optionally adding some special effects.

3. De-multiplex with Womble.

4. Open DVD-Lab, SpruceUp, DVD Movie Factory (or what-ever I'm playing with) and import the video asset.

5. Build the DVD and save the Title Set to my hard drive.

6. Use Nero to burn the DVD.

All this (not counting the actual burning of the DVD) takes 20 to 30 minutes tops.

If a header problem exists:

Now if I get to the point where there is a problem when I try to create the title set. VERY rare but does happen and I found it happened with many of the RPTV series 5000 samples I've received.

After doing all the above, I patch the first header to show 8 Mb/s using DVD-Patcher. I just work with the already de-muxed video stream when doing the patch. Then I again import the asset and compile the title set.

If there is a broken frame (blocks etc)

I use SpruceUp with elementary streams. If the problem is a really screwed up frame, SpruceUp will tell me which GOP it is. I write that number down and then use BitRateViewer's GOP / Timecode display to see the exact hour/minute/second of the bad GOP/Frame. Then it's back into Womble and scrubbing around until I find the bad frame and cut it out.

If the problem area doesn't show as a visable glitch. (this could be a broken GOP or something that Womble's GOP utility couldn't handle. Now that gets a little time consuming. I use the same technique with SpruceUP to find the GOP area. Then I cut the video into two parts just before the error. Then import the first part. If it goes okay I know the problem is going to be somewhere in the beginning of the 2nd half. I then do a trial and error until I find the (hopefully) only a few seconds of problem and cut it out saving it to the clip board. Then I re-encode only that clip with the Womble's encoder. Then assemble them all back together and do the Title Set compile. I once had a one hour movie that had something like three glitches in it. It took me about an hour to find them all, but was worth it as like Sturmie, it was one of those things I could never reproduce.

Other notes, All your editing should be done with program streams. Not elementary video and audio. You would only de-mux as the last step before importing it as a video and audio asset in your DVD authoring program.

Whew .. I GOTTA put all this stuff somewhere so guys can get some ideas from it. Those are the most common things. Remember, 90 percent of my replaytv Mpegs can be dumped into just about any DVD authoring program in their raw form. I'm using a ReplayTV 4080 unmodified here with my own program for off-loading. Plus I always work in Windows 2000 Pro and have all the latest service packs, Main Board Bios, and Direct X. I always use a dedicated 4 drive RAID 0 array and both the op system drive and the RAID are NTFS. I also have removable data drives that I use from time to time as well. I don't know what else to say?

Also of note (and I can't stress this enough) I've been able to burn dvds from samples sent to me with very little work needed to fix them. Usually the header problem (RPTV 5000 series seem to have this problem more than others) or messed up GOP and PTS errors, which Womble takes care of. The point is, those guys who sent me those samples tried everything I've mentioned and could NOT get them to work.

HEY Sturmie .. Why don't you send me your video and I'll just fix it so you can edit it? You'll probably have to spread it over a few DVDs as data discs in the RPTV Raw format. If I can't fix it, then you KNOW you really have one heck of a problem !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.