AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Funny stuff. Now I'll have to record the Ellen Show... didn't know there was such a thing. I do like her and her humor.

By the way, if anyone knows exactly how to do what is described in that clip, please let me know. I have an Ipaq, and I'd LOVE to watch Replay content on it!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Don't know, but I've been enjoying that capability since the 4000's got their 1st network extraction applications, almost 2 years ago now. It's still the best thing about Replays for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Heh. That is pretty funny. I'm still trying to work out some of the kinks in this process myself. From what I've seen, the following thread on Dr. Divx might be a pretty good single step method to get from big Replay file to not so big divx file for portable use.

Also, since Ed did chime in, you might also check out his thread here . He's referring to viewing on a specialized Archos portable video player, but similar results can be achieved with most newish, high-end PDAs (like the girl is doing in the clip). You just need to find a divx player for whatever device you have and figure out the optimal format (resolution, frame rate, encoding rate, etc) for your specific hardware. Space is typically at more of a premium in PDAs, so it might take a little more work than the 80G dedicated players .

Daniel

PS - Be aware that this encoding process will take considerable CPU time.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Even my wife laughed at that!!!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrecks
ReplayTV was discussed on The Ellen DeGeneres Show today.

View a clip here.
WHAT A HOOT!

Thanks for sharing.

if only people knew how easy it was! It's easier than finding a way to stop all the AOL CD's from coming to my house....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Originally I used to edit with womble, then use TMPGenc to transcode to MPEG1. I then used PocketTV enterprise edition player on an iPAQ 3875 with great results. Use a CF jacket and a 1gig card and you can hold a few movies on your PPC.

I also played with the free Windows Media Encoder to make wmv files straight from Replay MPEGS (Medium quality).

I've moved on to the Archos Player and Dr Divx because it's just a much more stable, single step process. The Archos holds a TON of video, at a higher quality level, especially audio, good audio really makes it all work!

As far as CPU time, it does take some. Using DrDivx, just que up 10 shows, go to bed, and it's done in the morning.

I just love Ellen, her comic sense and timing is perfect, great clip.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Rempalski
Originally I used to edit with womble, then use TMPGenc to transcode to MPEG1. I then used PocketTV enterprise edition player on an iPAQ 3875 with great results. Use a CF jacket and a 1gig card and you can hold a few movies on your PPC.

I also played with the free Windows Media Encoder to make wmv files straight from Replay MPEGS (Medium quality).

I've moved on to the Archos Player and Dr Divx because it's just a much more stable, single step process. The Archos holds a TON of video, at a higher quality level, especially audio, good audio really makes it all work!

As far as CPU time, it does take some. Using DrDivx, just que up 10 shows, go to bed, and it's done in the morning.

Have you figured out a way to use Dr. Divx to convert an entire folder at a time without first loading up each show..then doing a batch convert?

cow

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
No, I haven't and it would be great if it could be done.

I do find that many of my shows have some some underscan vertical white bars on the sides that I trim off when "loading" them into DrDivx. I also usually just trim the beginning to the actual start of the show, but not bother with commercials or the end (for some reason, the end trims are not accurate at all most times). So this "preview" and que does ensure that you get what you want.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
It's scary that I have two exact pairs of the silver sony noise-cancelling headphones that the asian in the video was wearing. They are powered by a single AAA battery (I have a 30 min nickel metal hydrid charger) and act as a amplifier for the headphones. They give great sound and draw less power from the PDA. Great noise canceling power.

She's up on me cause her PDA is also a phone with a camera. I can't afford that. It is nice to be talking on a cell phone and writing on my PDA at the same time..comes in handy.

Liz said I should date her. I said I had already thought about that.

cow

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:

It appears that Ed is from somewhere even further in the future.

·
Registered
78 Posts
She must be a member of this forum...notice the use of the "Replay...it's like Tivo" statement (although she forgot the "but better" half of the phrase).

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I prefer the Sony noise cancelling Ear Buds (also use 1 AAA) as I don't like to carry a big set of Silver "head-bongos" that dwarf the PVA/PDA/Phone/whatever device I'm watching/listening on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
No, I haven't and it would be great if it could be done.
Damn. I fiddled around with Dr Divx last night and was very impressed with how user friendly it makes the whole process. Automated/scheduled batch converting with it was going to be my next step.

Ideally, I'd like to

1) Schedule Replay to record show X.

2) Schedule DVarchive to d/l show X after it finishes recording.

3) Schedule DVarchive to export show X to a staging folder.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Selma Bouvier
She must be a member of this forum...notice the use of the "Replay...it's like Tivo" statement (although she forgot the "but better" half of the phrase).
hehe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I picked up a Archos 320 last week and have been copying my DVDs since. I upload the copyed .avi onto my PCs for storeage. I should have gone for a bigger drive but since I do upload the file it really don't matter much. I do have 60% of the unit loaded with MP3s. I have a membership with netflix.com so now I am looking for "Mass Storeage". Anybody get ideas?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Great clip!

I love that this is done. Either her or her husband is a member here. Sounds like it's her project/process. I'm really curious if she came up with her own method or another. Regardless she's using tools created by members here. I think everyone involved with the tools deserves a round of applause.

{clap} {clap} {clap} =)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
dbonds, I hope you can figure something out.

I'm putting together a Snapstream PVR Server to capture the TV content that I want to make portable as it has an automatic capture-then-convert to DivX mode.

PeteRod, You can EASILY swap the drive out with a bigger one at any time. Use this link,

http://shanebrinkmandavis.com/homepage/Archos/AV300/

It couldn't be easier to change drives or batteries, the Archos has a great mechanical design.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.