Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After discovering this forum and reading as much as I can over the past few days, I have decided to buy a ReplayTV. I was just curious as to what other people's opinions are about what I should get.

In light of SonicBlue's situation, I am waiting to make my purchase. From everything that I have read, it seems that ReplayTV is superior to Tivo, however, Tivo is not in the same situation as SonicBlue.

Basically, I know that I want a Personal Video Recorder, however in light of the current situation, should I hold out and see how this all plays out? If SonicBlue were not in their current situation, I would go out and buy one right now.

It is getting tougher and tougher for me to resist temptation from going out to Best Buy and picking up something right now, but I just want to make sure I am getting the best thing on the market. I'm sure everyone has felt like this about something from time to time.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah. If you have Time Warner cable, look in to renting one of their DVR's for $9.95 a month. I have friends in San Antonio Texas who got it and love it.

LB

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
For someone just getting in to the game, I would tell you to wait a few weeks to see what happens. I am not even close to being a naysayer, I just know how much I depend on these machines to spoon feed my tv to me, and if something bad *does* happen, well...

If you never had one to begin with you won't miss anything if it ceases to exist as its established self.

That said, I have two more Replays on order, and the next time I see a good sale there will be more coming my way. With Denon/Marantz most likely in the picture, high end devices with ReplayTV technology are a good bet in the coming years.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I love my RTV about 90% of the time. That 10% it seems to want to wig out and not cooperate. Just like my kid, two cats, and wife. I still love them too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Both products offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

I've now tried both offerings at home. I had also read a whole lot about what people said about each product. You could read user comments and comparisons for months if you desire, but there is simply no substitute for trying out the machines on your own. Period.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
wait until the end of the week to see what comes out of the auction. if you're itching too bad, i guess you could buy it now. from best buy you could probably take the replay back within 30 days, in case we're all screwed here.

i bought my 5040 3 months ago. if i were looking to buy it now, i would wait until D&M tells us whether they'll keep the current units going or not. they might screw only lifetime customers, or only customers with the monthly subscription. they might remove features such as commercial skipping and "send show", they might stop offering service altogether. they might do all, any, or none of the above.

D&M is the company that seems to have bought ReplayTV at the court auction today.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BPP
I was just curious as to what other people's opinions are about what I should get.

In light of SonicBlue's situation, I am waiting to make my purchase. From everything that I have read, it seems that ReplayTV is superior to Tivo, however, Tivo is not in the same situation as SonicBlue.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!
You asked for opinions! :D

I too would wait until we hear more details about the auction outcome and what the buyer will do.

Where have you found "from everything that I have read, it seems that ReplayTV is superior to Tivo." In what way? Most reviews I've seen say the opposite.

Not to be a troll here, but I have two Tivos and I love them. I've also played w/the Replay 5K series for awhile. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, and you can take a look at DrStrange's comparisons at http://www.pvrcompare.com/ . Why not buy a Tivo now and return it in 30 days if you don't like it? :D

Tivo's conflict management and scheduling and is far superior. To me, a to do list and recording history of what will record and what won't (and why) is important. I also don't like Replay's goofy guaranteed/non-guaranteed system which mixes together priority, conflict, and space managent. Replay also has no suggestions engine. Also, Tivo's stability is far superior. I've over 105 days of uptime on one of my Tivos and have been over 150 days before.

I will concede that Replay does have some cool features like Internet show sharing, auto commercial skip, and the easy ability to get video off via dvarchive. I personally believe that the buyer will be forced to remove the show sharing and lock down the networking more to make video extraction next to impossible negating some of its advantages. If you don't care about these features, then I wouldn't bother w/Replay since aside from these, I don't consider it "superior".

I will also concede that Tivo's financial situation is also a bit troubling. They still have yet to make a profit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your opinions! :)

I guess I should have explained my personal wants/needs a little better. I wasn't expecting so many quick responses. Anyways....

1. I live in Portland, OR. I have digital cable from Comcast, (they bought out AT&T Broadband a few months ago, and are transferring to their service). At present, it looks as if they do not offer their own PVR system.

2. I have a cable modem and networked computers in my house. I would like to be able to connect the PVR to my computer and even "share" my recordings with my PC, or another PVR unit to be purchased later on. In the research that I have done so far, it looks as if ReplayTV is the only one that can do this somewhat easily.

3. I need a PVR that is easy to program and schedule recordings. Again, what I have read points out that ReplayTV's menu and schedule system is easier to use than Tivo, but that could just be the writer's opinion.

4. I have read about various bug/glitch issues with both Tivo and ReplayTV. It seems that both have their issues, so there could be a tie here.

5. If I would like to upgrade my storage capacity by dropping in a larger hard drive, it seems like it is easy to do in the ReplayTV. Am I wrong about this? Anyone?

6. ReplayTV seems like they have a lot more "cool" features that Tivo does not have now, but could very well have in their next product releases. Functionality and features are very important to me, however I would not sacrifice stability for them.

These are my dilemmas. Every time that I go to my friends house and see his unit (Dish Network PVR), I salivate and drool and get the immediate urge to go out and buy one. I probably will wait until the end of the week to see how the SonicBlue thing turns out before I make my decision.

To everyone that responded and that continue to respond to my post, thank you very much. Your opinions mean a lot to me, and they will affect my buying decision.

I hope to have a Tivo/ReplayTV by this time next week. Hopefully, you guys can help me out in making my tough decision on which one to get.

Sorry for my long-winded post. Thanks again!

Keep those responses coming!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwerdna
...Not to be a troll here, but I have two Tivos and I love them. I've also played w/the Replay 5K series for awhile...
This is all you need to know about this guy's post.

If you're only comparing the Replay to the TiVo, it's really more like deciding between a PC and a Mac back in the mid-to-late 80's. The one with more customizability (Replay) is also prone to more trouble, but you can use it the way you want to use it.

Also, check with the TiVo guys about some of their "shortcut" keys, like the 30-second skip. Even if you don't use Commercial Advance, Replay's 30-sec skip is instantaneous at the touch of one button. Additionally, if you want to skip 25 minutes ahead, you just press 2-5-skip, and voila! - it's 25 minutes further ahead. Then, if you're like me and you sometimes won't watch a recorded show for a couple weeks or if you want to store it for a longer time, you've got nameable categories for easy location as opposed to "Now Playing", with all recorded shows in one long list.

There are a lot of things to like about the TiVo as well, just as there were a lot of things to like about the Mac. You can just "tweak" more with the Replay.

Go ahead and wait till the news is official, but don't think TiVo is the only other option. Even if my 2 Replays don't take me to the next level, I'll always be looking for more customizeability out of my next DVR.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BPP
Functionality and features are very important to me, however I would not sacrifice stability for them.
If that's the case, then I, for one, would wait to buy a new ReplayTV until after a software update has been released. Among a couple other annoyances, I had to reboot the 5080 on several occasions --during typical operations-- and it certainly appears that my unit was not unique. Being a PC user, I just figured this was par for the course.

Having used a TiVo for a couple weeks and noticing that it hasn't locked up, I too am thinking that stability is more important than features.

·
Registered
260 Posts
To respond to BPP's points:

2. Yes, Replay has the advantage in terms of sharing your recordings with your PC. Video extraction is non-trivial on a Tivo. But, I'd wager that the new owners of Replay will have to get rid of that. As for sharing between two PVRs, Tivo can do that now w/the HMO option as long as they're in the same household. But you have to pay extra to enable HMO on Tivo. :(

3. Tivo is the winner in this category hands down. You'll have a lot of guesswork and weirdness w/Replay in comparison. Replay's conflict resolution rules are weird and there's "to do list" to see the effect. Here's an example of weirdness http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ge#post904000. Read DrStrange's response further down.

On Tivo, on your second show, if you tell it to record all eps of the 2nd show, it WILL bump up the priority of the second show. Tivo also has a season pass manager that let's you prioritize what wins and loses at any time. As I said, you can see what Tivo will and won't record as a result. With Replay, there is not "to do list".

4. Tivo is way more stable than current gen Replays.

5. Both are hackable for extra storage. I do believe the tools to do this on Replay are user friendlier. I've hacked one of my Tivos (went thru procedure twice since the extra drive I added the 1st time developed bad sectors).

6. Again, Tivo's stability is better. Boy, DishPVR is a POS! If you think that's great, you will LOVE Tivo (and possibly Replay).

My oldest Tivo is over 2 years old. It has NEVER crashed or locked up. Neither has my newer one. But, I will admit, it has gotten into a bad state where I did need to reboot to fix it. This happens once maybe every few months.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KCKTX
If that's the case, then I, for one, would wait to buy a new ReplayTV until after a software update has been released. Among a couple other annoyances, I had to reboot the 5080 on several occasions --during typical operations-- and it certainly appears that my unit was not unique. Being a PC user, I just figured this was par for the course.

Having used a TiVo for a couple weeks and noticing that it hasn't locked up, I too am thinking that stability is more important than features.
i've had plenty of lock-ups with my 5040 as well, including one that prevented a Farscape rerun from recording. it really pissed me off. also, the ethernet port seems to work randomly; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't i have to reboot so it works again. those are my two only complaints after 3 months of everyday use.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon

If you're only comparing the Replay to the TiVo, it's really more like deciding between a PC and a Mac back in the mid-to-late 80's. The one with more customizability (Replay) is also prone to more trouble, but you can use it the way you want to use it.
There's some truth to this statement but at the same time, that's totally NOT the case for Replay when to comes to be having real control and predictability of what will and won't record.

BTW, regarding "customizability" have people written/ported or compiled their own apps to run on Replay boxes? If yes, I'm not aware of any. There's plenty on Tivo http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=78635 (unfortunately you I'm pretty sure you need a Series 1 unit though for most/all of this).

Quote:

Also, check with the TiVo guys about some of their "shortcut" keys, like the 30-second skip. Even if you don't use Commercial Advance, Replay's 30-sec skip is instantaneous at the touch of one button. Additionally, if you want to skip 25 minutes ahead, you just press 2-5-skip, and voila! - it's 25 minutes further ahead.

There are a lot of things to like about the TiVo as well, just as there were a lot of things to like about the Mac. You can just "tweak" more with the Replay.
Tivo has 30 second skip. It's activated by Select-Play-Select 30 Select. It's active until you reboot or enter that code again. You then hit the ->| button to skip in 30 sec increments. For a list of the other "backdoor" codes, see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=26530.

As for skipping 25 mins into a show, Replay wins there. Tivo only lets you skip to tick marks (for most shows, spaced 15 mins apart), while you are FFing or REWing, if you press ->| it'll jump to tick marks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.