AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As background, I was an UltimateTV user, and dumped it last week.

I was about to buy RTV 5040, and then came across too many negative posts about the lockup issues, DOA etc.,

I am getting tempted to check out Tivo.

Did anyone of you go thro' this similar mental exercise, and end up getting Tivo or RTV? (IMHO, Tivo is expensive, but seems like it's more stable)

thx

-phani

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love the Replay's potential - but I'm on my second Replay 5040 (we own two units) failure now, and obtaining warranty service has been a disaster both times.

Would I buy anything from Replay again? Nope.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had a great experience with both of my 5080 replay units. I bought them over Tivo because of the commercial advance and built in networking. I'm very glad that I did. My wife and I love them.

The one time I needed to speak with customer service was to change my billing info. The Indian man spoke great English, was friendly, and helpful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a ShowStopper 3000 with DTV and have had almost no problems with it except for having to replace the hard drive and it will occasionally not tune to the right channel when recording.

When the 4000's were announced I bought one immediately expecting it would be better than the 3000. Was I wrong. The picture quality was terrible and the overall reliability was poor. I then returned the 4000 after no one at Replay would commit to fixing the probs and the poor picture quality. I'm now glad that I did as I saved myself a lot of aggravation and $1,000 on top of it.

When DTV announced the HDVR2 DirecTivo's I bought one of these and am extremely happy with it. It records 2 show at once while watching another and the unit works reliably. Since getting the DirecTivo I rarely use the ShowStopper because with the 2 tuners it can record almost everything scheduled without any conflicts and I no longer have to worry about the occasionally mis-tune that happens with the ShowStopper.

David

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would not buy a refurbished unit. If I bought a ReplayTV, I would buy a new unit. Significantly fewer problems...

You might also wait a month or so for the release of 5.1 to see if people are a little happier with it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm assuming your still a DirecTV user since you had UltimateTV. You'd probably be happier going to DirecTivo rather than Replay. If you do go with a Replay, you'll notice the lack of a second tuner, worse picture quality and no to-do list. I believe the DirecTivo is about $225 and about $5-6 a month (unless you have total choice and then it's waived).

Now that I say that, there are many happy Replay owners who have DirecTV (myself included). Like it was mentioned earlier, ReplayTV is more unstable, but has some great features (networking, commercial advance, ect.)

I believe they still have the 30 day trial, so try it out for a few weeks and see how you like it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phanibod
As background, I was an UltimateTV user, and dumped it last week.
Why did you dump your UltimateTV, did you leave DirecTv or did your box just die? If you are still with DirecTv, you should definitely get a DirecTiVo receiver. They can be had for as little as $114 for existing customers (check on the UltimateTV forum) and will give you two tuners like you were used to having. If you left DirecTv, go to www.pvrcompare.com for a good comparison.

/carmi

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let me add: if you do go with a DirecTivo, consider trying to look for a used Series 1 instead of a new Series 2. It's my understanding that certain hacks have not yet been successful with the Series 2 (the shell and everything that that lets you do)

If I had DirecTV, I'd definitely get the DirecTivo, for the obvious difference in quality with not having to decode and re-encode, and the two tuners. But for plain antenna use, I ended up with a ReplayTV 5060.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My .02 cents-

I bought a returned Showstopper (Panasonic 1000) from a Sears outlet and repair service center. I put in an 125 hour hard drive and have had no significant problems for over a year. Occasionally, like once or twice a year, there is a freeze-up, but I unplug it for a couple of minutes and it works fine.

When I was considering buying a Replay, I spent alot of time reading the posts in the forum, and the negative reports made me hesitate. But the most posts are about problems, looking for some trouble shooting. I thought I would post my good experience to encourge buyers to go with Replay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll go ahead and join the chorus -- I've got an old 3030 that I hacked extensively (it's now using an external drive chassis and a 120Gb drive). I love it, I love it, I love it.

I was tempted, oh so briefly, to upgrade to the 4500s. I held off on that. I was then tempted, oh so briefly, to upgrade to the 5000s. I held off on that. In both cases, the high price (I paid $300 for my 3030; the new systems at the time were going for about $500 including lifetime activation) was a factor, but the horrible experiences told here about reliability and, more importantly, about the difficulty of getting good customer service, kept me with mine. It's a little more of a hassle to get my shows on the computer, but that's OK with me.

I think, unfortunately, that means I'm one of the "don't get a ReplayTV" folks.

-roy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.