AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if Sonic Blue has considered a Replay unit that could be used only to view content recorded on another replay unit, sort of a streaming video player. The unit could be used to play recorded shows and images off a Main Replay unit, but would not need a hard drive or any of the schedule and search software. Basically a unit that would have a ethernet connection and audio & video outputs so shows recorded in the living room could be viewed in the bedroom or den. There seems to be a few Sonic Blue employees who participate in this forum and I would like to know their thoughts, as well as other members of this forum, if this is something that would be a useful addition to the Replaytv family.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here Here!

I agree - Sonic Blue should invest the time and money to develop a thin client so we can have a true client - server setup in our homes.

I myself would buy 2 or 3 of these for additional rooms in the house.

Sonic Blue .... are you listening????

Aaron

On another note - can't wait for the portable ReplayTV to come out!!!

Saw a close up picture of it recently - looks GREAT!!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
well the key for a unit such as this would be getting the cost down as low as possible. They would have to be able to sell it at $299 or less. Doesn't the box and/or instructions of the 5k series show a unit like this in one of the diagrams?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm only replying just in case a sonicblue rep might be reading this board.

Make one of these play-only devices for less than $100 and I will buy at least one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It would essentially be a DVD player with no drive, an ethernet card and however much memory is needed to hold the current stream in memory to decode it... can't imagine it costing more than cheapo dvd players would.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrl
It would essentially be a DVD player with no drive, an ethernet card and however much memory is needed to hold the current stream in memory to decode it... can't imagine it costing more than cheapo dvd players would.
Cheap DVD players benefit from economy of scale. There are dozens of DVD player on a chip hardware solutions to choose from. SOnic Blue doesn't have the luxury. It's not the same thing.

Now if they'd just shipped the 40 millionth PVR in North America (DVDs just passed this mark) they'd probably be in a position to do this.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Or maybe get Wal-Mart's much-ballyhooed $199 Microtel Linux PC as the thin-client player? :) I dunno if it has TV-out tho, probably not...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Unless someone actually tries to build it, no one knows for sure how much it will cost. Seems like everyone thinks everything costs less than retail to businesses and that R&D is free. Maybe this board is full of managers!

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's already here - it's called an XBOX. Put any MP3 or DiVX or similar content on your PC's hard drive, put your XBOX on the same network, and bingo - you can play it all at the drop of a hat. It isn't quite as elegant as the ReplayTV, but it's far more flexible. You can also watch DVDs and play games when not watching pre-recorded content.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Xbox? With a mod chip, yes, but without it is just an Xbox.

Cheers

·
Registered
452 Posts
BroadQ offers QCast for the PS2, which will allow you to play MP3, MPEG and DIVX. Although it is still under development, it is available today and works pretty darn well. No ModChip required.

·
Registered
116 Posts
While the xbox thing playing media from your PC is all well and good - I think what the majority of us would like is a little tiny box that would sit on other tv's in the house and allow us to access the recorded shows on the RTV - not the pc, thankyou.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to build a thin client. DVArchive/ReplayPC code provides a way to download guide data and content. The main problem is finding a suitable platform (who wants a PC droning away in the living room).

Allwell makes a pretty cool set-top box platform http://www.gctglobal.com/Products/Se...bvod3036n.html . It's inexpensive, fanless, has networking, mpeg2 decoder, AV-outputs etc. I had been thinking it would be fun to run Real Player on this box and use it to watch internet movies etc. on my TV, but it could be a good platform for a thin ReplayTV client.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Once DVarchive supports the 5xxxx I would use my PC for this purpose. I would set DVARCHIVE to sweep up new programs and store them on my PC.

DVArchive and PC combination, that would be sweet as the Server. At least then, you could throw Hardware to improve performance whereas a closed box like replaytv as the server is unlikely to have upgradeable hardware (except disk).

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was eagerly hoping that DVarchive already worked with the 5000 series. Does anyone know when it will?

In my house, the 5080 recognizes the existence of the other (PC DVarchive) servers, but I cannot send anything to them or export anything to the PC's from the 5080.

Is there ANY software that currently works with the 5000 series for downloading content to my PC? ReplayPC does not work either.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
DVArchive doesn't work with 5000s right now, but ReplayPC 0.4 does.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I just discovered ReplayPC 0.4 and am copying a file to my PC right now. I am not getting reliable guide information so it's hit or miss what I am copying. But I sampled a bit of it to see if it was usable and it was!

So now I have to experiment with RTVguide and the ReplayPC equivalent. Is it possible that the 5000 series guide format is still a problem for these utilities to parse?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The guide parsing program for the 5k is in the "alpha" state, it's working great for me, and I'm using Rich A's REplayPC front end flawlessly now with my 5040, if you ask Lee about the guide parser program he'll probably email you the new version to test around with as long as you let him know if it crashes on anything etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the hint. I will try to get hold of this alpha version. Where is the best place to provide feedback? The sourceforge site?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.