AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any facts to back me up but I would suspect that Microsoft dominants the software-based PVR market. Who is in 2nd place? I'm not sure maybe Snapstream's BeyondTV? Or MythTV? Sage? Meedio? I think the market is very fragmented at this level.

I believe the best ReplayTV can hope for is 2nd place. And even then I don't think they can stay relevant but for 3 or 4 more years. After that Microsoft will have a near monopoly on software-based PVR's. There will always be a few who insist on running an open-source PVR so that they are not crippled by DRM but Microsoft will have an 80-90% market share.

ReplayTV will start the race for 2nd place with zero customers. It will be a hard climb. I think there is one thing that can make the climb easier.

** Deep integration with existing hardware-based ReplayTV's. **

Essentially, the software would be a software-based PVR and an official DVArchive (or WiRNS) replacement.

I think many ReplayTV owners would be interested in this product. Personally, I find DVArchive and WiRNS extremely useful but a pain in the a** and would love a stable, professional, supported replacement from ReplayTV.

This gives ReplayTV an immediate customer base that could rocket them into a 2nd place position quickly. Plus it offers a migration path for existing ReplayTV owners.

I see it like this.

ReplayTV PVR Software with free channel guide

Your typical PVR software. Record, Pause, Rewind, etc.
Price: Free with a Hauppage TV Tuner card or purchase for $49.95 from the ReplayTV site.

ReplayTV Media Center add-on

Plays, organizes, and manages your CD's, DVD's, MP3's, Divx movies, Photos, internet radio, etc. ReplayTV gave away the PVR to the Hauppage customers and this is how they would try to upgrade them.
Price: $29.95

ReplayTV Legacy Integration Add-On

Allows you to stream from PC to Replay and vice versa. Allows you to move ReplayTV shows to the PC. It would do many of the things that DVArchive and WiRNS already do. The only reason they will offer this is to take advantage of their existing customer base and to offer a migration path to existing users who might otherwise bolt to another brand.
Price: $19.95

Of course, I don't really expect this. But we can dream can't we?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too. If ReplayTV was serious about competing in the software-based PVR market it seems like this would give them the absolute best way of succeeding.

But I seriously doubt it will happen. I hope it does though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iommi
Will ReplayTV Media Center add-on allow me to play MP3s and divx shows on my replay? Do you take VISA?
I'm assuming no upgrade to the ReplayTV so the answer is "No". But you could play Divx and MP3 from your new ReplayTV PC.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren Dahl
I think many ReplayTV owners would be interested in this product. Personally, I find DVArchive and WiRNS extremely useful but a pain in the a** and would love a stable, professional, supported replacement from ReplayTV.
Out of curiosity, what about DVArchive do you find to be a pain in the a**? I've heard DVA discribed a number of ways, but other than someone frustrated because of a network problem, not that way and it's piqued my curiosity.

Gerry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
Anyone familiar with this unit?

http://sewelldirect.com/onair-usb-hd...mo=onair051221

wonder how it would integrate....
That's a prety sweet unit. doesn't do 1080i res, but still not bad at all. Question is, how is the software? Does it integrate into a guide? remote control? that could make or break it. That combined with the replay software would rock, as almost any cheap computer with a usb2 port could handle it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
Anyone familiar with this unit?

http://sewelldirect.com/onair-usb-hd...mo=onair051221

wonder how it would integrate....
Problem is it is OTA only. I really want something that will be able to receive OTA or QAM (cable) and handle the premium channels too (currently, the few cards that can get QAM cannot get HBOHD, SHOHD, etc as they are premium and encrypted). Most of my watching is the premium HD stuff and until the cable companies release cablecard 2.0 (which they are doing everything in their power to slow/stop), I don't think it'll be possible to get HDTV premiums. And by that time, I'm sure the FCC/MPAA/RIAA will have sealed things up so much that either 1) you won't be able to do this on anything like a PC or 2) you'll only be able to do it on a specifc "DRM certified" PC.

What ever happened to fair use? (yeah, I'm really disappointed in my congressman (John Conyers) for being involved with this digital hole crapus)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduprey
Out of curiosity, what about DVArchive do you find to be a pain in the a**?
Sorry Gerry. I love DVArchive and use it all the time. Your efforts are much appreciated and you have added to the value of my ReplayTV immensely.

But DVArchive does have a few problems that I have to struggle with every time I rebuild my system. I can't remember all of my frustrations but here are the two that come to mind.

1. It requires an older version of Java. Once I install the latest version of Java DVArchive seems to try to use this version and causes chaos. It's a solvable problem but nonetheless it is a still a problem after each rebuild.

2. It sits in the taskbar. I want it to sit in my system tray. I realize their is another piece of software that will make it do this but it's just another unnecessary level.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What's the matter with using WinDVA? It handles the multiple Java problem well, and gets it to sit in the tray. It also allows you to specify more memory. Everybody wins.

As a Windows programmer I tend to build monolithic solutions that try to be all things to all people. As a user of multiple OS's I appreciate tools that help me overcome other issues. If I could add one feature to DVA, it would NOT be Java 1.5 support or Tray support - those problems have already been solved. My favorite new feature would be third party integrations so we could all share in the fun.

David Stidolph

AUstin, TX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.