AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robert X. Cringely mentions on his website ( http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030410.html ) that tivo is now offering a $99 upgrade directly to the customers. It includes such items as streaming MP3's and Pictures from your PC to the tivo.

I could swear this was mentioned before on these boards as features we want and are willing to pay for. I know I would be.

That $99 upgrade is money directly in TiVos pocket too. Granted it would take away from a dedicated MP3 player but how popular have those been?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
portwojc

Thanks for your post and this link. I'm sure no one here knew about this until now.

BTW: Did you know SB/ReplayTV has filed for Bankruptcy ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I LOVE my dedicated MP3/WMA player and can't wait to get a next generation unit with better display features!

It most likely will be a CD/DVD network player, from Go-Video, but I'd consider getting a Replay upgraded to networked music.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I HAD NO IDEA! Those innovative people at Tivo....always pushing the envelope.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by portwojc
Robert X. Cringely mentions on his website that tivo is now offering a $99 upgrade directly to the customers.
Who else would they offer the upgrade to - people who don't own Tivos and only drive on Tuesdays?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
Who else would they offer the upgrade to - people who don't own Tivos and only drive on Tuesdays?
I think his point was that instead of coming out with a new version to sell through distributors, who would get a cut of the price increase, they get to keep the $99 themselves.

Kinda like those guys who email the losing bidders on Ebay and offer them the product directly at their losing bid price. They just cut Ebay out of the loop.

X.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xyzzy
I think his point was that instead of coming out with a new version to sell through distributors, who would get a cut of the price increase, they get to keep the $99 themselves.

Kinda like those guys who email the losing bidders on Ebay and offer them the product directly at their losing bid price. They just cut Ebay out of the loop.

X.
i know what his point was, just seemed a strange point to emphasize

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.