AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere on the net about a Thin Client device being developed by ReplayTV. There is also a picture of one on the 5xxx series boxes. From the little info I could gather, it was a device without recording capability that could play shows from another ReplayTV unit in the house. And I believe ReplayTV was hoping to sell it for $100 or so.

Anyone know how far along in development this device got, if at all? It sounded like a perfect solution for the TV in the bedroom.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your idea is pretty much what I have in mind but what I am thinking of was much more than just an idea and was actually under development by Sonicblue. On the ReplayTV 5060 box I just purchased from Costco last week is a picture of a unit that looks very similar to a 5xxx series except it appears to be thinner. Under the picture it says "Thin-client".

A search on Google turned up this excerpt from a review of the 5000 series RTV at TechTV's website dated Dec 2002:

Quote:
...Sonicblue informed us that it is working on a thin client, which would provide a more cost-effective way of streaming throughout the house.
Here's the link: TechTV ReplayTV 5000 review

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It was mentioned at one point last year. But I thought it was slated for the 2nd half of 2003, so with the buyout, who knows...

·
Registered
916 Posts
I saw this on the box when I bought my 5080 too, and would be interested in it as well. If they didn't make this available, I would settle for a discounted subscription fee on a second unit. I would pay $200~$300 for another unit for a second room, but another $250 for a subscription, that hurts...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcsommers
Not a Replay, but.......

Try this - http://www.prismiq.com

Its prices in at $250.

Regards
Neat device, but why can;tthese companies just put outa product that requires no 'server' software. I mean I can share the directories I want on the network, why isn't that good enough, they always want you to install something on the pc?

It confounds me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
SB did promise a thin client device at CES this year. It was slated for 4th quarter 2003. They even had flyers printed up about it, and talked about it in a press release.

The survey that SB conducted several weeks ago also talked about the thin client. I rated it high on my list of new product features in the survey.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcsommers
Not a Replay, but.......

Try this - http://www.prismiq.com

Its prices in at $250.

Regards
Wonder if it will play Replay mpegs from DVArchive? That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
Neat device, but why can;tthese companies just put outa product that requires no 'server' software. I mean I can share the directories I want on the network, why isn't that good enough, they always want you to install something on the pc?

It confounds me.
I agree with you completely, but one of the reasons I heard was that alot of this "server" software also indexes all of the served media. This reduces the amount of work and network traffic the thin client needs to generate.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I still have this on my list of must haves if they do end up releasing it. For $100 I was sure to buy one. I put a 250 GB drive in my Replay and don't really need another one. And while DVArchive is great, I think this little box would be nicer for just playing back to another tv.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Put me on the list for buying one if they come out. Maybe have two versions, one a wired model and the other a wireless 802.11b,a,g model.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I ordered that prismiq thing. I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My son uses his notebook (14 inch XGA) or TVOut in his bedroom or anywhere in the house/deck/yard/basement. We now have 802.11g and he streams from my PC which gets all the shows using DVArchive. Performance overhead on my PC = < 3% :) Awesome.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmaver
I ordered that prismiq thing. I will let you know how it works out.
Got my Prismiq yesterday. Only got 1/2 hour to play with it last night, but initial impressions:

1) Software is usable, not buggy, but not refined yet. Things are a bit slower than I expected, but it all works. I have a few ideas for things to improve already. :)

2) It plays 70% of my DVArchive pulled replay mpegs with no problems without having to fix them up at all. I assume the others will play if I gopfix them. I will try that tonight. This is a big bonus, since I can now stream to a tv without a replay box. No QuickSkip/Instant Replay buttons. :( and fastforward/rewind were mediocre, but that might be the speed of my server. I will try a faster machine tonight.

3) Finally can see what mp3's are playing. I have a rio reciever, which has a better method of auto-categorizing mp3's, but it has this little LCD screen, so you have to be up close to change it or see what is playing. This is up on the tv, so it is much better.

4) It is really convenient to surf the web from the tv, check showtimes, directions, email. Need an HDTV to have a picture perfect experience, though. Not enough resolution for my comfort, but usable.

5) Photo viewer is much easier to use than the replay's.

6) Free keyboard is a must

7) Plays music while you do other things which is great.

Overall, for $250, very worth it as a music/photo server or a video player if you don't have a replay at a TV. I would recommend it. I will update this if I discover anything else.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you have a Playstation2, this is close to what you want:

QCast Tuner

The software is $50, but you also need the PS/2 ethernet adaptor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.