Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm very new to this ReplayTV stuff. I just got a ReplayTV 4500 and I would like to download some shows to my mac (running OSX 10.2.2) I have DVArchive. What do I do in the network setting in the ReplayTV and OSX.

Thanks Arri:confused:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hmm.

You have no network? How do you get ethernet to your computer and to your replay?

Or are you using modem dialup for the replay?

In Windows, the way to use DVARchive without broadband is to use IVS on your computer and trick the replay into using the computer is a gateway to the internet.

I have no idea how to do that on a Mac.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Arri, it would help if you explained your configuration better. Do both the RTV and the Mac dial-up via modem for Internet access? Are the ethernet ports on each box available?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replayer TV is using the modem.My mac has a cable modem. Both the ethernet ports on are available. I have ethernet cable hooked from ReplayTV to the Mac. I have a standard ethernet cable and a cross-over cable. Does the cable modem have to be hooked up still? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, a few ideas:

1) Connect the Mac to the Replay via the x-over cable. Assign each device it's own arbitrary IP address. [10.0.1.1 for the Mac and .2 for the RTV, e.g.] Use 10.0.1.1 for the router address. Then fire up DVA and see what happens. I think it should work like that. Remember, you'll need to swtich the Replay over to Ethernet mode [from Modem-mode] before this will work.

2) And this is probably the better answer. Buy yourself a cheap router that will allow your Mac and your RTV to share the cable modem connection. This will also mean that the Mac and RTV are on the same LAN and will just find each other [once you get the network sorted out]. I think a refurbed NetGear RT314 can be had pretty cheap these days [check NetGear's site].

3) Throw an AirPort card in your Mac. Get a LinkSys WET-11 for the Replay. Use the Jaguar's Internet Sharing feature. This has the advantage of being wireless, but streaming from the Mac to the RTV may not work so well [due to bandwidth constraints]. Alternatley, you could buy one of the new snow AirPort base-stations instead of a wired router. This way, the Replay would be on Ethernet, adn the Mac(s) could be wirless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
madSkeelz

This is what I did. I have a Xpeed's X320 SDSL Ethernet Modem from when I had DSL with NorthPoint in the old days. I hooked up the x-over cable from the cable modem to the Ethernet Modem as well as the RTV and Mac. All is working now. But the upload speed from the RTV is only 14k, as if its going through the cable modem. Do you no how I would by pass the cable modem or what ever and get the true upload speed from the RTV.

Thanks again

·
Registered
731 Posts
Make sure the Mac and the RTV are using interal, non-routable IP addresses. [IE, use your router as a DHCP server]. If the Mac and RTV have IPs starting with 192.168.., that should prevent the traffic from going outside and then back in. The traffic should stay on the LAN.

If it is staying inside the LAN, read up on the DVA documentation regarding transfer speed throttling and what-not. [But yes, it should go much faster than 14kBs.]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.