AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will be forced into buying a Dish Network PVR soon. I want to be able to record HDTV (from sat. and off the air) and the Dish DVR921 appears to be the only way to do this.

Do any of you out there have Replays and a Dish PVR as well? Can you tell me how bad if at all bad it will be to have to go from Replay to a Dish PVR? What will I not be able to do with the Dish PVR that I am doing with my Replay?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Well, lets see...

You loose:

IVS

Ethernet

DVarchive

Show-name detection for time slot recording

field upgradeability

ReVue

You gain:

DVB bitstream captured HDTV - no encoding.

How it works? It records based on a timeslot. Even though the 'event timer' shows you 'tru calling' at 9pm on thursday, it will record ANYTHING that shows on that channel at 9pm on thursday...

John

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns

You loose:

IVS

Ethernet

DVarchive

Show-name detection for time slot recording

field upgradeability

ReVue

You gain:

DVB bitstream captured HDTV - no encoding.

How it works? It records based on a timeslot. Even though the 'event timer' shows you 'tru calling' at 9pm on thursday, it will record ANYTHING that shows on that channel at 9pm on thursday...

John
I don't use DVarchive and could deal without ethernet connection (as the dish updates over the sat. and I never buy PPV so I don't need to connect)

Show detection would be hard to do without. I'm not sure what IVS and ReVue is so obviously I don't use these either.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
ReVue allows you to quickly edit out the commercials and create a commercial free mpeg that you can use to author DVD with, or if you have a DVD player that deals with them, copy raw to a CD-R or DVD for archiving and viewing.

IVS is the internet video sharing... the ability for someone to send you a show you missed due to conflict, or because your kid knocked the blaster eye off of your dish box...

John

PS - Show detection was the killer for me. I just won't have a DVR without it.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Note that single-record channels for RTV are solely based on the time slot too. i.e. if you schedule a single-record of show A at 9pm on ch 1 and then there is a schedule change where now show B is on at 9pm on ch 1, the RTV will record show B. So, in effect, single-record channels for RTV are the equivalent of a manual-record. Obviously this is not the case for show-based channels - for these the name of the show is checked.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The name of the show is checked and the Replay will adjust its start time if the slot has moved an hour in either direction.

For me, DVArchive and in home networking are the two killer items. I love being able to watch any show on either box or my DVArchive server from the family room and the bedroom.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech

For me, DVArchive and in home networking are the two killer items. I love being able to watch any show on either box or my DVArchive server from the family room and the bedroom.

Wish I had of checked these out. Now it would only serve to frustrate me when I get my 921 so I don't think I will use them at this point. I do have my Replays on a network but I have only used it for connection. I'm using bridges not hard wire and I could never get the two replays to see each other.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sundance
Wish I had of checked these out. Now it would only serve to frustrate me when I get my 921 so I don't think I will use them at this point. I do have my Replays on a network but I have only used it for connection. I'm using bridges not hard wire and I could never get the two replays to see each other.

Thanks
Well...you know that you could use the 921 just for HD signals and continue to use your ReplayTVs for regular signals.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sundance
Show detection would be hard to do without.
You can run TV_CHECK once or twice a week and it will alert you to reprogram your Dish PVR. That's what I do for my VCR and Replay (show detection often causes conflicts that need to be resolved manually)

Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.