AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching my ReplayZones and the unit said that the following Zones are "unavailable":

X-Zone

Music

Family

The others are ok.

Any idea why this happens?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although I haven't checked specifically, I noticed today that I don't have the Music zone available, but I do have the Movie zone. This is after I installed a larger hard drive, but I don't really know if that has anything to do with it.

RFH

·
Registered
381 Posts
When are they going to let you search within a Zone? Try recording only baseball games for teams from New York. This is definitely one area where Tivo is better.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am also missing the music zone..

In the movie zone, I noticed the LETTERBOX and the all the ratings categories are missing..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Same here, but I also noticed that in 243 Zones, Net Connect won't work! I hit select over and over and over and nothing happens. Every other option works.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nevermind, it just connected on its own and now it works again.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Quote:
In the movie zone, I noticed the LETTERBOX and the all the ratings categories are missing..
I was upset for a minute that the above categories were missing. They are my favorite searches, but then I found them in the "more, more, more" zone.

They seem to be reducing the emphasis on the replay zones little by little. I remember there used to be a ton of them. I wish they would put my favorite one back: searches according to Oscar winners. -mk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sports and Sitcoms are both chopped at the first page. Some of the info is available under More, More, More, but not all of it.

My showstopper did not connect last night, due to a recording conflict, so I did a manual connect this evening. I watched as two of the "Zones" were updated displaying changing percentages. I think they were 12/16 and 13/16 but I am not 100% sure. ReplayZones is broken now. My guess is that these two zones are corrupted.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have two original units a 3060 and showstopper which have been connecting on schedule. As of Saturday I noticed many sports replay zones are missing including BOXING. I don't like this one bit and I hope it is a simple glitch in their system.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have never fully understood how Replay Zones works. Does it have to be actively maintained by Replay staff, or does it simply perform automatic keyword searches? It doesn't seem possible that it could accurately find something like "Oscar Winners" using only keywords.

If Replay Zones is a labor intensive endeavor for SONICblue, I can understand why they might want to phase it out. I just hope it doesn't disappear entirely. Personally, I have always found it to be a pretty cool feature.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The zones shouldn't be heavily labor intensive. Some of it may already be sorted into categories by whoever they buy the guide data from in the first place. If not with access to the right databases and a some decent programmers it should not be too hard to create.

Anyways I doubt they would do away with the ReplayZones. It one of the features they tout plus the competition has a similar feature (that I think is slightly better).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Each zone corresponds to a 'suzuki code' (I have no idea where that name comes from), which is simply a number. More than one zone can use the same number, in which case they're really the same thing, no matter what the user interface says.

The channel guide downloaded each night includes, for each program, a list of suzuki codes. Presumably Replay assigns the codes -- they're not the same codes TMS uses for genres . Not all Suzuki codes used correspond to currently-existing zones; presumably some of them correspond to zones that used to exist but have been removed (but that still work, for people who set up ReplayChannels for them when they existed). Some of them appear to match numbers used in the pause ad system -- I think they are/were intended for use with targetted advertising. Some of them are PPV-specific; I've never figured out what those are for.

http://www.molehill.org/twiki/bin/vi...lay/SuzukiCode -- the codes I've found names for, and my guesses at some of the others based on the channel guide data.

http://www.molehill.org/twiki/bin/view/Replay/GenreCode -- the TMS genre codes; it looks like this list may have been used as a starting point for assigning the suzuki codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a manual connect today and the ReplayZones downloaded alot of info. They appear to be back to normal on mine now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.