Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, hope I don't screw it up :)

I have a replay 5040 and am using static IP settings to connect to my linksys router. I find that periodically (maybe every few days), the replaytv can no longer connect and update the schedule. When this happens I can no longer connect to it via DVArchive and whatnot.

The solution I've been using has been to enter the network setup area and re-apply the IP static address. This is all well and good, but the communications failure shouldn't happen to begin with.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks bunches.

- Chris

·
Registered
915 Posts
This issue has been reported to our QA group. If possible, use the ReplayTV via DHCP. If your router router assigns the same IP address to the same requesting MAC address, then you don't have to worry if you use Internet Video Sharing.

Lyndon

·
Registered
395 Posts
Anyone who has a Linksys router doesn't have the optoin of having it assign teh same IP address to the same requesting MAC address.

This problem has been in there since the very first release of the software on the 4000 (I have one from the first batch and reported the problem almost right away). I hope it gets fixed soon. Now that I have to 4xxx's, it is a real problem because I have multiple devices that have to DHCP and if I don't DHCP I lose the ability to stream between the two boxes after around 24 hours.

Sigh. If I can be of any help in tracking down the problem please let me know.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have an Imerge Sound Server on a Linksys wireless. The bridge & the Imerge both wanted to run the show when they were on DHCP. I put them on "assigned IP" & the router is now the boss & they play nice together. The Linux factor according to the Imerge tech can be iffy. Previously, the address changed every time there was a boot-up or a standby status. PowerLine failed in this LAN.

"I know nothing." Sgt. Schultz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lyndon-

I have a 5000 with a Linky router - same problem as described. When I try to set it for automatic, it always comes back to ask me for a static address.

I've always written this problem off to my topology of using a wireless bridge->WAP->router ... but my Tivo (on the same brige, WAP, and router) gets DHCP from the Linky and it seems to "hold" unless one of the pieces has a power failure or is reset. Even then the Tivo re-grabs the old IP again.

I am getting weary of remote-ing in the IPs every few days (I changed my internal network to 10.10.10.x to save my poor fingers!)

Thanks for any tips or advice,

mj

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pertinent:

FWIW, I have an old Netgear RT311 to which I have a 4508 and a 5080 connected using static IPs and I have not experienced this problem at all. I've had the 4508 for 8 months and the 5080 for almost 4 months.

Related:

I also used to use dynamic IP addresses and had no trouble. I only switched to static IP addresses to make 100% sure that I get the units' port forwared to the appropriate device. Even when I used DHCP, the RT311 seemed to always give out the same IP address to each device. I'm just being extra careful.

After I moved recently, I had to use the telephone connections to update the guide until I got broadband and at least every other day the 5080 would lockup. The 4508 was rock solid though. (Well, I should say that I had one 4508 go bad and SonicBlue replaced it about 2 months ago.)

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.