AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I called my local electrical inspector and asked about the code involving LV cables, specifically A/V. His answer sounded like he didn't care one bit. What I got out of it was:

If it runs through studs, use in-wall rated.

If it just drops in an open bay, use whatever.

What kind of remarks have you guys heard concerning not using in-wall rated cables? Does this sound right at all?

·
Registered
149 Posts
When we had our house built last year our builder told us that we could run what ever lv lines we wanted and that the inspector would not even look at any of the lv lines (rg6, cat5, av, ect.) I was skeptical like yourself, so we ran high quality in wall speaker wire along with rg6 and many cat5 all througout our home. When it came it for the electrical inspection the inspector just grabbed the bunch of wire running down to the basement and said "are these all low voltage" the builder said yes, and he moved on to something else. He couldn't care less about them. He didn't even look if they were rated "inwall" or not. I would recommend putting "inwall" in anyway. You want a good wire in there that you know will last. But it sounds like you can get away with any cable in there.

The only thing we did on the house that the inspector made us change was the ceilng speakers in the garage. We had to prove that they were "fire rated". I couldn't find any documentation on it so I just took them out.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ya inspectors typically only care about LV in commercial applications

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

If this was cable being ran for a new install and stapled, running mutliple levels, through studs/joists, etc. I would run in-wall rated protected with nail plates.

However, this is a simple up one wall, through the attic, down another wall; all interior, non-load bearing walls situation.

Of course all of my CAT5e/RG6 runs are in-wall rated, but I'd rather not spend the 3x the cost for some A/V cables. I just had my first child so you could image what I mean

·
Registered
756 Posts
This definitely varies by location and/or inspector. We didn't think we had to worry at all about LV. The inspector showed up and checked out all of the electricians work, and then asked where the LV wires were. The inspector wanted a licensed electrician to pull those wires too.

I ended up pulling them myself under the electricians permit (with permission of the electrician of course), and made it look nice and professional and used in wall rated everything etc etc. For my projector, I just ran flexible conduit since my A/V cables weren't all in-wall rated. Everything passed, so I am happy.

I would highly recommend running some sort of conduit for your A/V cables, instead of just running them in the wall. This will leave nothing for your inspector to question, and give your the flexibility for being able to change cables out later on.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would go ahead and do the job right. You may get a different inspector next time who will care. You're only going to take this hit once so it's not like an ongoing expense.

BTW, my electrical inspector did check to be sure all my LV was in wall rated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.