AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent a message to Pioneer about my concerns regarding my fear that my set will soon be obsolete because of the DVI standard. The message I sent and the response follow. It seems to me that we wouldn't be able to use the component inputs on the TV as he suggests from my understanding of this new standard. Anyway, here is my message and his reply:

Original Message:

Hi,

I have a Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD and have been very happy with it.

I was not happy to hear recently that a "new standard" has been developed that incorporates copy protection and will in essense make all existing HDTV sets obsolete (at least in the sense that they won't be able to display much of the HDTV content out there in the near future.) (I beleive this new standard is refered to is DVI).

I held off until HDTV came out before getting my widescreen TV so that I could get many, many years of use out of it, and now it looks like the industry is trying to obsolete my new TV immediately!

Is Pioneer going to offer any kind of upgrade for their HDTV sets to prevent them from being obsoleted? What can I do to prevent my very large investment from going down the drain?

Thank you.

Sean Dudley

----------------------------------

Reply from Pioneer:

For the current sets, future connectivity will be made through some type of set-top box (Satellite reciever or Digital Cable box) and then the signal sent to the monitor over standard component video connections.

1394 has its bandwidth limitations, so it is not the answer for HD content.

DVi consumer standards have not been finalized, probrably with-in the next year.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
What do they see in the specs that allows analog compnent outputs that all of us cannot?

·
Registered
44 Posts
They sent me the exact same message. I guess its there general response to the problem. I too have just purchased a 510 and am really disgusted by this. I hope someone does something about this interface problem. lets keep our fingers crossed.....

Jackipp

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
As I read it, this is a dishonest reply. The issue is not bandwidth, it is copy protection.

I think that they would be better off to simply come clean on what is happening.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Altho I hate to admit it, the only agency that can stop this nonsense is the feds.

Write your congressman now.

------------------

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee L:
What do they see in the specs that allows analog compnent outputs that all of us cannot?
They see years of transition for DVI to take hold. All PVR & D-VHS solutions in the near term will need to include analog component or there will be NO market.

It is not all or nothing at an immediate cut-off.

Tim

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
As I read it, this is a dishonest reply.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity"

I think you read too much into the reply.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone know if the new Elites will have the new inputs?

When I called Pioneer the only info they would tell me about the new elites is that they had a built in tuner. The csr had no idea what I was talking about when asked about DVI or 5c.

I love it, spend 5 grand on a new set and throw it away in 1 year, we are indeed turning into a disposable society.

Jackipp

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nobody has the new inputs or outputs. It's only been a week or so since this has become a topic. These interfaces have to incorporate encryption/decryption circuits.

[This message has been edited by bluedevils (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Nope, this has been a topic since January, when the HDCP specs were first leaked. There are plenty of threads on point going back 6 months.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since there is a slot for a HDTV tuner in every Elite Pro, along with a RGB input, why couldn't Pioneer come out with a DVI firewire input, etc. that would go into the slot? From what I read it looks like the component inputs would work with the 1934 for decoding.

For those with AV receivers like the B&K 307 that has the firewire input, would that be sufficient for the new signals?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys,

One question - if they make the new sets with built in HDTV tuners will there still be a need for firewire or DVI inputs on the new sets?

Jackipp

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metamatt:
Since there is a slot for a HDTV tuner in every Elite Pro, along with a RGB input, why couldn't Pioneer come out with a DVI firewire input, etc. that would go into the slot?
If Pioneer were to offer some sort of module to allow digital input, that would be the obvious thing for them to do. I would think that the slide-in module wouldn't violate the HDCP and DTCP licensee agreements as the analog outputs (assuming that is even how the module interfaces to the set), wouldn't be accessible when the module is installed in the TV.

It's good to be informed and concerned about the recent annoucements regarding DVI, HDCP, etc., but IMHO, it's still way too early to spend a lot of time worrying about whether your HDTV is obsolete because it only has analog inputs, and the set's manufacturer has no upgrade plan. Sony is announcing sets with Firewire, but meanwhile Dish and DirecTV say they're going to build STBs with DVI outputs. By the time I'll want or need to buy an STB or HD-DVD that will require a digital interface on my TV, I expect to have gotten at least four or five years of life out of my Pioneer Elite, and be ready to buy something new.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I agree with jhue. I am not worried that my HDTV monitor will be obsoleted anytime soon. This conversion will take a LONG time, and even then it isn't clear what kind of content may require downconverting.

Quote:
One question - if they make the new sets with built in HDTV tuners will there still be a need for firewire or DVI inputs on the new sets?
Yes to support display of non-OTA HDTV sources.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

[This message has been edited by Rich Peterson (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackipp:
Yes, if want to receive more than just OTA HDTV. You might want to connect a cable TV box, a DBS receiver, or a high-definition DVD player.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bluedevils:
Nobody has the new inputs or outputs.
Maybe we're talking about different inputs, but the JVC D'Ahlia has the DVI/HDCP input.

It would be cool if the Pioneer tuner slot could take a module with a DVI input, but I suspect it wouldn't fly. If you could just slide the tuner out of the slot and get power to it, you'd have an instant DVI to analog decoder, which is just what they don't want you to have.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I read something different between the lines of Pioneer's response.

Yes, a DVI box may in fact have component analog outputs. They just can't be at full HD resolution. So you could hook a DVI receiver up to your Elite, just don't expect to see HDTV.

Pioneer Elite does have that tuner slot and my guess is that they will simply make a DVI equipped module. So in a sense, they are future proofed to some extent.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike:

[BIt would be cool if the Pioneer tuner slot could take a module with a DVI input, but I suspect it wouldn't fly. If you could just slide the tuner out of the slot and get power to it, you'd have an instant DVI to analog decoder, which is just what they don't want you to have.

[/b]
Given that the retail price of their existing tuner cartridge is $2400, it would probably be more cost effective to just buy a new TV with the digital inputs when they come out http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.