AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From top to bottom are my original question to Sony, followed by their (mostly) canned and condescending response, finally my follow-up question back to Sony.

--Gerald C

-----------------------------------

Quote:

Product Category 1: Television

Product Category 2: HDTV

Model Name: 53HS10

MESSAGE: I currently own the 53HS10 set, and I have read several recent news articles about new digital connection standards for the next generation of HDTVs (IEEE 1394, DVI, etc.). My concern is that my current set will become obselete very quickly because it only has analog inputs for HDTV signals. I bought this set with the assumption that Sony would not participate in its obselesence by introducing and supporting new, incompatible standards. Other manufacturers such as Mitsubishi have promised their customers an upgrade path for future digital HDTV connection standards. Does Sony plan to offer a similar program for sets like the HS10's?

Sony's response:
Quote:
--- Custserv <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for contacting SONY.

At this time there is no industry standard which would designate a TV as being HDTV-ready. Some manufacturers may use this term to designate their TV's that are 1080i capable, since 1080i is the highest resolution of HDTV signal currently available.

Sony currently has non-HDTV TV's that are 1080i capable. They are the KP53HS10, KP61HS10, KP-53XBR300 and the KP-61XBR300.

All Sony current TV's will be able to receive HDTV broadcasts via an HDTV converter (aka a HDTV set top box). TV's which are not 1080i capable would be connected to a downsampled (most commonly a 480i) output of an HDTV converter to receive an HDTV signal, which is better than the current signal sent out today by most cable companies.

FAQs which may answer your questions regarding HDTV.

Digital Television

Q1. Should I wait to buy a new TV set until the digital TVs make their debut in stores next year?

No. While only DTV sets will enable consumers to fully enjoy the superior video, dramatic multi-channel audio and other benefits of digital TV broadcasts and services, consumers can still enjoy digital TV broadcasts on televisions being sold today for these reasons:

Today's TVs are "future ready." High-performance TVs -- like Sony Trinitron and Videoscope big screen sets -- have multiple A/V inputs, including S-video and component-in, and are particularly well-suited for digital video sources.

The transition from today's analog sets to digital TV sets will take at least a decade. Initially, digital TV broadcast

programs will only be available in 10 cities (about 30% of the U.S. population).

Today's TVs are feature-rich and affordably priced. As with all new consumer electronics products, the first digital TV sets are priced very much higher than comparably-sized analog TV sets.

Q2. Will DTV make my current TVs obsolete?

A2: No. Today's TVs will display analog or digital broadcast transmissions for many years to come. Even if analog TV broadcast terrestrial transmissions are discontinued in 2006, as the FCC targets, DTV converters will enable consumers to watch digital TV broadcasts.

Consumers also can continue to enjoy watching VHS videotapes, DVD programs, and cable TV and DSS programs on their current TVs for many years to come.

Q3. Will I be able to watch digital television broadcasts on my current TVs?

A3: Broadcasters are transmitting programs in both analog and digital, known as simulcasting. If DTV broadcasts are available in your area, you will need to add a DTV converter to today's TVs to view digital TV broadcasts as they become available. These DTV converters are available from a number of manufacturers. You can continue to enjoy cable, DSS, VHS, DVD and DV programs on today's TVs throughout the transition to digital TV broadcast programs and beyond.

Q4. Will I be able to use my existing video source components with DTV sets?

A4: DTV sets will have video inputs capable of accepting current video sources, such as VCRs, DVD players, DSS systems, etc. Sony strongly supports backward compatibility and providing consumers with access to available content and programming.

Q5. Will the new digital TVs work with current speakers and sound systems?

A5: Yes. Consumers should consider adding Dolby Digital surround sound components to take full advantage of digital TV broadcast transmissions (as well as DVD).

Q6. If I want to buy a television set today, what features will help ensure I'm ready for DTV?

A6: Consumers should consider buying televisions with the best possible picture quality. DTV converters and broadcasts will maximize performance of analog sets. Consumers should also look at sets that have multiple A/V inputs, especially S-video and component video in.

The answers to many customer questions may be found at:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/custserv.shtml

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group

Customer Information Services Center

CV8R
my response to the above:

Quote:
Your canned answer did not address my point about the 1080i component analog inputs on the HS10 sets become obselete with the introduction (supported by Sony) of devices which only have digital DVI/1394/HDCP outputs. Please address this specific issue. I am a technical person, and I don't need the general tutorial about digital TV and HDTV. I fully understand the technology. If you, as Sony customer technical service, do not know the answer to the specific question I am asking, you really need to do the research, then provide your customers who have purchased these sets with the straightforward answers.

--Gerald Cameron

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Wow! Sony really ensures that their canned responses are up to date, don't they? Not only did they totally ignore the substance of your question (involving digital interfaces replacing analog component video), but they included information (only ten cities having HD/digital television) that is several years out of date.

Really pathetic...

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

Quote:
At this time there is no industry standard which would designate a TV as being HDTV-ready
I wonder if this one was drafted by the lawyers. There is, in fact, no such thing as an "HDTV" set. We've never marketed our sets as such. Just 1080i sets. Cute.

Agree the rest of the stuff is filler.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
That response furthers my conviction to stay away from Sony products. They are acting as MPAA allies in an effort to not only make everyones HDTVs obsolete but also their OWN Sony customers who buy one of their "future ready HA HA HA" HDTVs. What a load of crap!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gerald, good job on the letter. Let us know when you get a reply back with the 2nd letter. I'm interested and would like to know. I'm an owner of the KP-65XBR10W as well.

If it's just a few people e-mailing them then it won't matter to them. We should have lots of people e-mail them so they'll know this is a serious issue and not to be taken lightly.

If someone has some words to say to them then address it to them.

Here is the E-Mail address: [email protected]

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

[This message has been edited by cow736 (edited 07-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cow736 (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Someone forgot to check their 'canned' response expiration date. That's rancid!

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have called them and they assured me my equipment would still work with any new copyright standard (They just forgot to mention that it would not be true HD as it would be totally down-rezzed going into my component video inputs!).

Here is the letter I just sent to them:

I recently purchased this set and have been reading ALOT of articles confirming Sony's participation in the DTCP copyright protection scheme methodology.

According to this new agreement, HDTV users would have to have DVI/Firewire interfaces on both their TV sets and STB's in order to view DTCP high definition programming (virtually all PPV movies and other higher profile programming) Your brand new 65-xBR10W has no firewire or DVI intercface, only component analog video inputs. Will you upgrade this set so it will work with this new protection scheme when the time comes (which sounds soon)? Sony always boasts its products' future upgrade compatibility qualities so I was hoping this is what you meant. Thank you.

Kent Oberlin

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sony's products are 2nd class. Their service is one of the worst. They don't need to look at their Sony station sales to blame their current revenue (and stock price) decline.

I have Sony HDTV and used to have SAT-HD100. I've returned SAT-HD100 because they refused to honor the product warrantee by refusing to fix the unit - if I don't have direcTV, Sony won't fix the unit since the fix is delivered via only DirecTV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not up to date on this problem, but I guess the reason for the STOP DVI/HDCP! is that it will mostly be used to encypt television programing?

My question is, will it also look alot better?

why they go with a analog format in the beginning and analog componet inputs, when obsiously a digital format for television will not degrade etc..

I would be happy to see a digital HDTV format, but would be upset that they dont think of **** in the beginning and my HDTV only has amalog component inputs.

If Toshiba would upgrade the inputs I would be happy with a a digital format I guess I am saying.

Or am i missing something, maybe alot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gerald,

Can you please be sure to post Sony's response to your reply back. I do not forsee you getting a response which will give me a feeling that Sony is going to support their customers, however I would be interested in reading it. As a KP-XBR5710W owner, I can not say that things are looking good. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
In the face of certain knowlegde of pending copy protection problems I suspect the above rosy Faq statements will get Sony sued someday.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gerald,

I hope you don't mind that I used your message as bases for my e-mail to Sony's customer service ( we're on the same bandwagon ). I modified it to my specific case and I have let Sony know that I already know about future analog input compatibility issue, which will not be able to display a full resolution picture. They should know that HDTV owners are knowledgeable about their TV's and digital standards and it'll hopefully prevent naive responses from their customer service ( wishful thinking ).

I recently purchased 65 XBR10W set, and I have read several articles about new digital connection standards for the next generation of HDTV (IEEE 1394, DVI, etc.). Will my current set become obsolete very quickly because of its analog inputs for HDTV signals? I bought this set with the assumption that Sony supports its customers and offers future proof technology and would not participate in its obsolescence by introducing and supporting new, incompatible standards. Other manufacturers such as Mitsubishi have promised their customers an upgrade path for future digital HDTV connection standards. Does Sony plan to offer a similar program for sets like the 65 XBR10W. If not, I will return my TV set to the dealer. Please, provide me information on plans pertaining to the upgrade, not on compatibility of analog inputs, which will be capable of displaying only downgraded 480i or 480p resolution, with these new digital connection standards. I paid a lot of money, for being able to watch highest resolution picture ( 1080i ) and supporting standard that will make my TV capable of only displaying lowest resolution is not acceptable.

Sincerely,

Mariusz Filonowicz

[This message has been edited by mariusz (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
OK! I got a response from Sony and here it is:

Thank you for contacting SONY.

You may purchase many items directly from Sony by visiting the Sony Style

on-line store at the following website:
http://www.sonystyle.com/home.undefined.html

You may also purchase manuals, parts, and accessories directly online from

the Sony Direct Accessory and Parts Center at the following URL:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/

If not available at either Sony Style or the Direct Accessory and Parts

Center, Sony authorized online dealers are listed at the following URL:
http://www.sel.sony.com/cgi-bin/SEL/...gi/aid_list.pl

Also, following are our authorized mailorder dealers:

J&R Music World NY 800-221-8180

Crutchfield VA 800-955-3000

Focus Electronics NY 800-223-3411

Computability WI 800-558-0003

Planet Video MI 800-247-4663

Berger Brothers NY 800-262-4160

Camera World OR 800-222-1557

Sound City VA 800-525-3325

You may obtain the location of your nearest Sony Authorized Dealer on our

website at the following URL:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/locator.shtml

If you need more information on a particular product:

Please follow this path.

Go to the following URL:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/

Open the "all product categories" box at the top of the page and select the

product category you are interested in.

Click "go"

For information about Sony authorized dealers, you may visit the following

URL:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...thIntWhy.shtml

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group

Customer Information Services Center

CCKA

What the hell are they talking about and why did I get this POS autoreply type of message. If you look above at the message I wrote them they answered NOTHING I asked and this reply is crap. I rewrote them and told them to shove it up their.....Well... I almost said that

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dish in it out:

Yes, I know, I work for Columbia and can't do a thing about this issue.

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gee ... I have the 57" 16x9 XBR and I sent Sony an email about this topic and have not even gotten a canned response in over a week ... guess they didn't like my email. I invited them to look at the amount of registered equipment I have with them if they feel my business is not important to them. 4 ES receivers, 2 HDTV's, 4 other XBR 27" or better analog TV's, 3 DVD's, 2 HD100's, multiple CD changers, SuperVHS recorders, Laserdisk, cassettes, amps - All ES line stuff! If I was as non-responsive to my customers as they are to me I would be out of business!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond:
Wow! Sony really ensures that their canned responses are up to date, don't they? Not only did they totally ignore the substance of your question (involving digital interfaces replacing analog component video), but they included information (only ten cities having HD/digital television) that is several years out of date.

Really pathetic...
that's nothing, you ought to ask them for a .PDF manual on one of their products. "they've never heard of .pdf but for 40.00 dollars they will send you a photocopy of the manual" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mariusz:
I hope you don't mind that I used your message as bases for my e-mail to Sony's customer service
I don't mind at all. Also, I have not yet heard back from Sony on my second request. Maybe the customer service people called the lawyers....in which case we'll never hear anything more. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ever tried READING one of their manuals?!

They've come a long way from the days of "please to put honorable battery to compartment out,"but still leave something to be desired.

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
182 Posts
Chiph. . .

You think you're having fun with email to Sony, simply

wait until you need repair from one of their service centers.

The last time I took a VHS player/recorder with a piece

of topic tape lodged inside - $155.00 minimum charge to

accept it in their service center.

From your list, it appears your a great candidate for their

"minimum service charge".

Hummer

------------------

Brown Trout - 18 3/4#

You should have seen the one that got away!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.