Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All-

Here's a brief report re: the Panamorph party which was earlier today. Besides me, fellow forum members Man E, RGB and Bart were also in attendance.

The Panamorph is real, and does everything it is claimed to do. It is actually a bit smaller than I had pictured in my head. The anodized parts are quite attractive and it is solidly built. As RGB mentioned in his initial post it is relatively lightweight which will make ceiling mounting a piece of cake.

I took a few pictures which you can view here:
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/kkaramanian

We put the Panamorph through its paces with The Fifth Element, Vertical Limit, Frampton:Live in Detroit, and a racing video game that Man E had brought. (For the record he seemed lost without his steering wheel).

Mated with the Mitsubishi XGA LCD, the Panamorph did a wonderful job compressing the image and packing the pixels even closer together. This was readily apparent with A/B demonstrations. We also observed a noticeable increase in brightness when the lens was in place allowing full use of the projector's native panel. RGB actually attempted a "split screen" by taking a picture with the Panamorph only half in front of the projector lens on a scene from Vertical Limit to demonstrate the difference.

Setup and adjustments appear to be a breeze. We were constantly moving the lens in front of and then away from the PJ, and were able to get things back to perfect in a jiffy. There appears to be a lot of flexibility available with the placement of the Panamorph in front of the projector lens. In other words, there was no real change in the image quality and/or shape when the Panamorph was moved closer or farther away from the projector lens. (We were moving the Panamorph a good 8" from the PJ lens and still getting the same image.)

There is only a modicum of barrel roll on the bottom of the image (when the Panamorph is used on a table), but it's so small it's not even an issue. RGB may have tried to photograph it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's undetectable when he posts his pix.

Bottom line: The Panamorph is a winner.

Thanks to Shawn and Shaun (the office manager) for having us.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Good timing - I logged on right after you posted this http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

You didn't happen to see any completed pannys near any cardboard boxes did you?

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super bowl, world series, final 4 have all come and gone. My question now is - which will get here first, my $600 tax rebate or my Panamorph. Given I paid $600 for the panny, I think I'm on to the real conspiracy here....

Glad you all had fun. And I archived that picture of Shawn just in case we have to send America's most wanted down to Bermuda to catch him.

Any comments on change in black level with and without the panny? This is one of my big concerns.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
492 Posts
Kirk

Thanks for the update. Really sounds like a winner. Now if I can only remember my Geometry, so when it is installed, I can figure out how to set the scaler. Oh well, there's always trial and error

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kirk,

Sorry that I missed your call today. I would have liked to cruise out there with you but I was visiting family. Thanks for the photos and details of the visit.

I can't wait to see the unit in person, almost as bad as my wait for gamma adjustment thru Dilard (coming soon).

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bummer! Sorry I missed it. I was so close (had my car keys in hand!) Then my wife decided it best we all spend a day at the lake. Thats a bit hard to argue with. Glad to see things went well and sorry I did not get to meet you fellow forum members.

Jeff

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for taking us there - great post. Nice to see that there really is a "Shawn" and what he looks like.

I emailed Shawn a couple of days ago and he promptly responded - I was really impressed! With luck mid to late August for me!

Once we have the product the delays will quickly be forgotten.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Carey:

I just opened the pics up, no problem. Try again.

Kirk:

It's real--wow! Thanks for the pictures. So nice and compact! Should be easy to set up. Any problem with light spill between projector and lens?

Dan

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan-

I didn't notice any light leakage between the projector and the Panamorph. In fact, Shawn explained that he added a plate underneath the aperture in the rear to specifically combat that problem. Man E makes reference to this plate in his review- something about it also working well as a heat deflector for front-venting projectors.

Kirk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.