AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
FUD ! I always wanted to post that. :p

Mr Murdoch is a cold hearted Businessman. He will do whats ever is best for his bottom line. And if that means dumping Tivo and pushing his own Sky box, then that's what he will do. An DTivo customs can yell to the high heavens and it will not make one bit of difference to Mr. Murdoch ;)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I thought the Murdoch majority thing is still up in the air (or maybe I misread the info). I'm so out of the loop.

Murdoch did say he wanted every customer to have a PVR, I think it would be better for him to use his own products.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What PVR does he 'have'? (Showing my own ignorance there.. :) )

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
FUD I wanted to report that too.

ironically, I suspect tivo might be a good stock to have from now to March 04. That was a pretty big dip in stock price with christmas comming up and DirectTV inconclusive. All it can do is go up or stay the same I figure. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't mention Tivos name in the report so the stock would fall before they buy more stock for themselves. Most stock buyers are 'copy cat' buyers and very predictable. When standing outside the box it's easy for highly liquid investors to take advantage of sudden stock rise or falls...if your simply familiar with the real details. There's nothing illegal about not mentioning Tivo in a report. From my side I'm just guessing, but my confidence is moderately high.

with generic PVRs brinking over the horizon, I don't have the highest hopes DTV would use Tivo, but with the sudden stock drop and negitive buzz, cashing out in march after christmas $$ gains and hope gains seems safe.

Everyone buy Tivo stock !

cow

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
Everyone buy Tivo stock !
Do you think I can trade-in my SonicBlue stock for Tivo stock :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
Do you think I can trade-in my SonicBlue stock for Tivo stock :)
Wait about a year and maybe they'll be worth the same amount. :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
How proud would we be of DNNA if they were secretly negotiating a deal with Murdoch to move in on Tivo's turf. I know, this is a highly unlikely scenario, but it's nice to dream. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
We know that both RCA and APEX have hard-drive based recorders on the marked.

RCA already makes DirecTV equipment.

So how hard would it be to build a box to combine the two using only the DirecTV programing guide and have DirecTV be able to collect that monthly fee currently going to TiVo?

--David

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
DavidEC, big nod. I'd think if tivo was IN, they would do it for low steady profit.. capitolizing on the mass production of their existing design, and try to benifit from the even larger name recognition in the future. Thinking tivo should be sure 'Tivo' was on each DirectTV top set box unless otherwise impossible. Tons of people still don't know what a Tivo is. I wonder if Tivo slinged it's name around enough if they could benifit from many clueless people like AOL did.

cow

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that DirecTV is going to go with their own HiDef PVR, is what I had heard from some users.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by indy_dude
I think that DirecTV is going to go with their own HiDef PVR, is what I had heard from some users.
If they do, I wish them luck. I know the problems ReplayTV users have with there 3rd generation units, and I know the problems of Ultimate TV from friends who used to have those units....

I wonder what DirecTV would bring to the market other than their name? I'm sure that every DVR company is working on a HD version of there box - why should DirecTV bother?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.freiman
If they do, I wish them luck. I know the problems ReplayTV users have with there 3rd generation units, and I know the problems of Ultimate TV from friends who used to have those units....

I wonder what DirecTV would bring to the market other than their name? I'm sure that every DVR company is working on a HD version of there box - why should DirecTV bother?
Well...as much as I adore my ReplayTVs, they aren't as seamless in use as say DirecTiVo. Also, there is a huge advantage to keeping the data stream digital rather than convert digital to analog and then back to digital. So unless DirecTV finds a manufacturer that is willing to work with them making an all-in-one unit, it makes a lot of sense for them to develop one on their own.

Just my lousy $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sky TV (Murdoch's UK satellite system) offers Sky+ for PVR'ing the sat signals. A number of manufacturers make the boxes. Google sky plus to see a bunch of them. The sky website offers a link to the sky+ products (a Flash show, unfortunately).

Tivo was supporting Sky+ at one time but seems to have faded from the UK. Murdoch would play manuf. against one another, there would probably be two or more makers of any DirecTV PVR, it would be a matter of branding, not technology, as to whether the Tivo name (better known in the US) is attached to a DTV PVR.

I thought the News Corp takeover of DTV was still being discussed in Washington? Or is that a done deal and I can begin being depressed right away?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
 http://cableworld.com/ar/directv_sha...ares/index.htm

DirecTV also will boost penetration of DVR-enhanced set-tops; the company plans to introduce a competitively priced DVR set-top by the end of 2005, and deploy at least 1 million a year after that. By drawing on the “technological talents†of NDS and BSkyB, and spreading research and development costs over a larger subscriber base, News Corp. estimates DirecTV will save approximately $60 million a year in subscriber acquisition costs.

With NDS expected to supply DVR technology, investors in DirecTV's DVR partner TiVo were spooked, sending TiVo shares tumbling last week on the prospect of it being left out in the cold. NDS will also play a large role in interactive applications the company expects to deploy by the end of next year.

Although declining to comment specifically on NDS, Austin says she is enthusiastic about DirecTV's TiVo boxes. “We're very focused on DirecTV with TiVo,†she says. “We don't think DirecTV with TiVo is something you have to give away,†she adds, referring to EchoStar's announcement last week that it will begin giving new customers a DVR-enabled box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.