AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Some of you may remember me as the person with the wacky borrowed i1 Display LT, which was reading no red and green off the charts. I'll give you my current problem and then some details.

Problem: I know there'll be some public censure for this, but while dinking around in the service menu on my Panasonic TH-42PX80U, I messed with the cuts and drives without recording the default factory values. Even after searching exhaustively for other users' settings (with the same TV), and service menu defaults, I've come up dry?

Can anyone help? Although it affects all sources, my main source is PS3 via HDMI (RGB color limited).

Please let me know if you need more information! The color is pretty bad - red is purple, and green is glowing.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Did you change your sd settings or just the hd? If you didn't change your sd values, they are most likely the same as your original hd ones.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What adrman mentions is a possibility, though I can't necessarily vouch for the reliability of that solution...but it would surely get you closed than you are now. What I will tell you is that my understanding is that each TV is adjusted at the factory to account for the variations from unit to unit--therefore even if you and I had the same model of TV, our original SM settings would not necessarily be the same.

If you've given up on the calibration thing completely, then using some method to get back to close is fine I guess (e.g. using someone else's default SM settings, or using someone else's "calibrated" SM settings) The best way to solve the problem, however, is to calibrate it, then you know it's right. I'm happy to help you as best I can either way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, drrick. I'm quite interested in calibration, and I think I'm tech-savvy enough to get it done well; however, I am doing this whole thing without a budget, and the meter I borrowed appears not to work.

I've put some other feelers out for meters (rent / borrow), but have found that very few places make their meters available for rent. I am not able to buy a meter at this point.

So for now, I want to get things back to watchable until I can chase down a free or rental meter.

I appreciate the willingness to help - this forum is a fabulous resource / infection (meaning that without this forum, I might not even have known that my picture would benefit from calibration. In the same boat with my stereo system... our reach should exceed our grasp, I guess

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts