AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime my wife hits play on Oprah Winfry, our Replay 5040 locks up until loss of power. This has happenned on the last few days of Oprah, it has recorded over the old one but she cant watch it.

This same thing happened for a few weeks in a row on 20/20. You hit play, the menu goes away but thats it. When you come back, it has no Play from beginning option so something is very wrong here.

This happenned to anyone else? Could this be that it stores that show on the same part of the hard drive each time?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Does it happen the instant you press play? If not, you could try pressing play, the immediately press pause, and then 20-QS or something to see if it still happens (for S+G I spose..)

Have you transferred the show to your PC to look at it? Maybe there's some super-secret code at the beginning of the show to crash the RTV..

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hmmmm, I'd suspect this occuring naturally during Jerry Springer, but not Oprah.

But seriously, you may have a bad cluster (or many clusters) on the drive causing this problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something like this happened on my 5040 as well (I posted about it a few days ago here ). But, although I don't know what caused it, my problem seemed to go away when I deleted the shows in question that were causing the unit to hang. Have you tried deleting the oprah shows and the recording settings for it, and starting over?

On a related note, what settings does the factory reset affect? Does it delete recorded shows or automatic record settings? Will it reset all the channels that have been turned off?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bhorling
On a related note, what settings does the factory reset affect? Does it delete recorded shows or automatic record settings? Will it reset all the channels that have been turned off?
It returns it to a pre-setup state. All recorded shows will gone, all set up recordings will be gone, the channel guide will be cleared, etc. It wipes the slate clean putting the unit back to the way it left the factory.

-Gary

·
Registered
742 Posts
Does anyone know if the replaytv OS / program or whatever, marks bad sectors/clusters or whatever so as they are not reused. This is looking more and more likely that these problems are all related to something like this.... The symptoms, work-overs bring back memories from years ago when OS's never had this built in.... If this *IS* the case then a fix will likely fix a lot of the 5040 skips etc that we are seeing..

·
Registered
116 Posts
This sounds like the same problem I had - I think the front part of the program in question is corrupt and the RTV can't quite figure out what to do with it.

Try this test: do a 243-ReplayZones and turn on the position meter and then play the offending program.

I noticed certain shows would "lock up" my machine - or so I thought - the first few times I unplugged it - but then one time I left it alone, after 5 or 10 minutes, it snapped out of it - but the first 15 minutes (of a 60 minute show) were missing. After more experimentation, I find that it snaps out of it half the time, and the other half of the time it will reboot itself. I had a 120 minute show that was missing 29 minutes. I've never seen it on a 30 minute show.

I noticed this starting to happen more and more, and then I noticed that my unit's drive was full - after I freed a bunch of junk I wasn't watching, it hasn't happened since.

I wonder if there is a bug in the routine that reclaims space from already recorded shows?

I'm waiting for the 3 month mark before I punt this puny 40G drive out and put in a 120 or larger (pending approval from the CFO) - hopefully, I won't see this problem as often.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, seekins, that sounds just like my problem. I also only saw it only on movies (not on anything that was 1 hour or less), and it started happening when the drive was close to capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.