AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set to purchase the Panny LCD 50LC13 when my wife saw the Panasonic 42pa20u and said "we are getting the plasma...period!" I am in heaven. Now for the hard part. I can get the Panny from an online vendor for ~$1k less (NYC vendor) than I can get from a local establishment that provides provides top notch service. The vendor offers an extended Panosonic warranty. My concern is that certain posts warn not to deal with NYC vendors and that some manufacturers will not honor warranties that are not sold through their authorized vendor network. I have sent e-mails to Panosonic to verify with no response as of yet.

Having spent the last few days going through most of the forum notes, I don't have a good feeling which way to go.

Any feedback regarding on-line vendors and recommendations on who to best work with would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
AFAIK, the only mfr who flatly refuses to honor warranties for stuff purchased online is Fujitsu. However, many of the Panasonic plasmas sold online are so-called "commercial" models and have a "carry-in" warranty; i.e., you have to ship or deliver the unit to a Panasonic center for warranty repairs, vs. the in-home service for most B&M store sales. Your dealer should be able to tell you excactly what kind of warranty your unit will have.

I'm not sure what kind of "Panasonic extended warranty" your dealer is talking about. I don't believe Panasonic itself offers extended warranties, and if he is offering a warranty (extended or not) from some fly-by-night third party insurer in lieu of Panasonic's own 1 yr. mfr's warrantly I would be very suspicious.

Not all NYC vendors are necessarily bad, but I would certainly shop around a little outside NY, to save sales tax if for no other reason. There are dozens of posts on the Forum about various dealers, which you can find via search. IMO, most if not all of the dealers that advertise on the Forum are quite trustworthy, and many people have gotten pretty good deals from Dell if you have the patience to deal with one of the world's most inefficienet bureaucracies.

If you use a credit card, you should be pretty safe buying online and, as you note, you may be able to save hundreds if not thousands of $$$.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Steuert.

Mostly right, but wrong on a few points.

1.)Online dealers tend to sell either or both the Commercial and Consumer displays.

2.) As of February when I bought my PT-42PD3-P, Panasonic would sell you directly an extended warranty.

3.) There are extended warranty companies out there, such as Warrantech, that are far from fly by night. They are a publically traded company, and will happily tell you their ticker if you call em or look em up on the web. I'm not suggesting an extended warranty is a good investment. But Warrantech is not fly by night. They have contracts with major manufacturers for products.

4.) Panasonic provides the same warranty service for plasma displays no matter where they were bought: Sears or bobsplasmaspecial.com

On point 4, I was told this directly by Panasonic Customer service reps located in the Pacific Northwest during my numerous calls to them to check these details. In fact, I was told they were happy I bought a new plasma, and they don't discriminate. Search for posts under my username and you will find at length my story on purchasing my plasma online and the service I got from my retailer and Panasonic.

And lastly, Valvear, you probably read that NYC dealers were bad from *******************.com or I think it's plasmadepot.com. Turns out that they are based on the west coast, and all the sites they refer to as online resellers of plasma displays are in fact owned by the same entity as the owner of *******************.com. So it's a little case of misdirection.

I bought my display from Bestbuyplasma.com, got it delivered from NJ to my house in CA, and haven't had one iota of trouble with it. Feel free to search again for that company on this board, and you will again find my story on them. NOt all good, but not bad either.

That being said, I hear Lisa does a good job out of NY. Too bad I didn't here of her sooner...

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Can only add my vote for Lisa at plasmaextreme.us. It's the sale and after the sale service that make a difference.

And heck she's got fish AND beer!

Therese

·
Registered
109 Posts
Will you be installing this yourself? As an installer that provides extended warranties on plasmas I can say that it is worth it in some cases. The first case is that if you buy this and decide it is too much of a pain to set up or do an on/in wall installation, then a local dealer/installer will either charge you out the nose to install it or tell you they'll install it but aren't responsible if anything weird happens with it. Some won't even touch them.

The second point I'd like to make is that if something happens to the display it is a lot easier and faster to have a local company come replace it. We had an uncommon issue occur where a family's Pioneer went 2 times on them, we had never seen this problem and replaced both units on the days they went "kaput" with no charge. We found out after further testing that their line voltage was all messed up so we told them they would have to purchase a line conditioner to keep the extended warranty which they did (and we supplied at cost).

Now for those of you who are gonna say I'm bashing online sales...I'm not, I have bought more things online than I can count, but I get weary about it as the price gets higher. I also stopped doing it as much once the economy started having problems. You aren't helping your local economy at all by buying online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out bbb org

Because I am a new member it will not allow me to list the web address but jut put a period inbetween the web addresses and the suffix.

For example if you were to put in dtvcity com you would find the following

Additional Doing-Business-As Names:

Cableland

D T V City

D T V Express

DVD City, Inc.

L C D Planet

Plasma Depot

ProjectorChoice

You can tell that if you were to use the price shopping only from Plasma TV Buying Guide com that you would only be getting pricing from one vendor.

This site will also list when they became a member of BBB org and how many complaints they have had and the resoultion status of those complaints.

(note-I have purchased from DTV City with a good experience but at least knew up front who I was dealing with.)

Some other points to consider

Shipping-Check on the method of shipping. Because Plasma TV's are very fragile they should be specially shipped. Regular ground UPS is not the desirable way as the screen must remain upright during the entire shipping process. Also check if you will be allowed to inspect the screen at the time of delivery before sigining.

Visa-Check with your visa company as to the extended warranty and coverage provided by your visa card. My company will also let me create a one time use visa card for all online purchases. This allows me to set the ammount for the purchase as well as protects me form any card number theft.

Return Policy- Check the return policy and other fine print details on the vendor web site. Print a copy if you purchase from the vendor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only thing I can add to this is that if you are going to buy online, check out the links at the top of the page. All of these e-tailers are reputable but also help us directly by sponsoring this forum.

I took the plunge yesterday and purchased the 6UY from VA. The service was good, the price was good and the sales guy was very helpful with some small issues I had. Now since I haven't received the display yet, I can't comment on the product but I am happy so far.

There is an interesting thread that outlines the issues another member went through to buy a plasma screen online. I think that the thread title is "Anatomy of a On-line purchase". It is a good read and brings up some good issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the valuable feedback. I spoke to VA and evidently the units are selling like crazy since they won't have any units available for three to four weeks. They were honest and answered my various question in detail. With their competitive pricing and perceived service level I will most likely see what I can work out with them unless I find a great deal in the interim.

Once again thanks and I look forward to becoming a long standing member of the forum.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Valvear,

Since you mentioned you are specifically interested in the TH-42PA20U, they seem to be having trouble getting that model. From the beginning to middle of August they didn't have any and thought they'd be getting them in at the end of August. Apparently that didn't materialize either. I haven't heard of anyone here getting that model from them yet, although I could have just missed it. Several people on this board, including myself, cancelled orders there for the TH-42PA20U and got them elsewhere at sites that had them in stock. If they are still saying 3-4 weeks, you might want to consider this info in what you decide to do. This is in no way intended to slight VA, just that they seem to be having trouble getting this one particular model whereas others haven't.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ordered the 6UY yesterday afternoon from VA. Got a call today that it has already arrived locally and will be delivered to me on Monday!!! Paul at VA was very helpful, and I'll report back after it arrives on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wpwj40e
Can only add my vote for Lisa at plasmaextreme.us. It's the sale and after the sale service that make a difference.

And heck she's got fish AND beer!

Therese
What she said...

Harley

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sent Lisa a note and unfortunately they are not carrying the model at this time.

Will keep trying...........

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Search on 'dmart' in this forum. You should find at least 15 different members who have had positive experiences at dmartstores this year. My recent experience echoed those other experiences. I didn't have any problems, so I can't say how they would handle things if someone did. But they do go so far as to give you their cell phone numbers so that you can reach them if there is a problem. To me that is a better indicator than unreturned emails from an etailer. They responded to non-problem email questions promptly too. Their price is excellent too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.