AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all... ok, i am ready to take the plunge and set up a HTpc for my '99 mits 50803 (first-gen hdtv)... i already have a beefy computer to use for it (tyan dual 1.4GHz athlon MP's w/ 1024mb ram) and need to know what other hardware will suit my application... i get digital cable from time warner and about 8 1080i channels from them as well, and would like to be able to input all my sources upconverted into the set in at least 480p, preferably 540p for dvd's and still get to watch my hboHD in 1080i... also recording HD would be a bonus (i am assuming HiPIX here)... what hardware combo would suit my needs most? radeon and HiPix? don't care much about gaming, really just want to improve the lackluster images on my set... any advice and pointers greatly appreciated, thanks all!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
That computer is extreme overkill for your TV set.

That TV is 4:3 correct? It accepts 1920x1080i?

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Namlemez... yes, my set is a 4:3 that can produce 1080i/540p on its HD inputs and 480p on all the normal NTSC inputs if some tinkering is done in the service menu's... i know the computer is overkill horsepower-wise, but i was just given this mobo and cpu rig as payment for a job, and a HTpc is what i've been wanting to set up for quite a while... i gather the HiPIX card is best for HD and HD recording, but i have digital cable from Time Warner (i get my HD 1080i channels from them too)... can i use the HiPIX card, and what graphics card is best to mate with it? i also want to be able to play dvd's in 540p through the HTpx as well... i've read all the faq's here and done some searching but i cant seem to figure out what hardware would work best for my needs..? HiPIX and Radeon? i don't mind changing inputs on the set from time to time as long as i can still reach all sources, and all are in at least 480p format, digital cable upconverted and all that... any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hey Corey can you help this man?

Ah'll try man, ah'll sure try. DaiSho, man ya really got a piece der. Ya say ya wanna be able to watch the HDTV output of yer Tame Warner Cable HD channels on yer computer. Now wa in the hell would ya want to do sumtin lek dat? Boy, dats not going to fly in Texas ya no dat. Dats why ya hav da spaciale cable box frim Tame Warner. Dat box, ah'm ma gettin side track here wur's cilla? Dat box uses QAM fer HD, end not 8-VSB, so ya can't feed da signal to one o dem fancy AccessTV cards in yer PC fer decoding. So yer stuck with the Tame Warner Box fer cable HDTV, but dat ain't so bad. yaw god fering man ya say, wale dat's awright, ah'll still hep ya.

Fergit about HDTV frim Tame Warner on ya dumb terminal fer now, use it fer DVD playback. Git yaself one a dem Radions end sate up for 1920x1080i, Ah no, wat yer red, git yaself a copy of PowerDVD 3.0 end yer set.

Anybody no of a place to git yer leather dry cleaned round here?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.