AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last three days basking in the glow of my new PLV-70 (grin), and now I'd like to get it a bit more formally set up. In particular, I'm trying to find product information for ceiling mounting. I'd like to have the lens about 12" below the top of the ceiling, and don't need a mount that can angle in any way.

I've seen a bunch of stuff on Chief mounts, but am having a hard time figuring out the exact combination of plates and poles and whatnot that I need. Can any other plv-70 owners let me know what they used to ceiling mount?

Thanks!

Jeff

PS: No dead pixels, no red push (as far as I can tell), and looks awesome at 108" :).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Congratulations on your projector! I'm very interested that almost 100% of owners are extremely pleased with this projector. Extremely. It's quite fascintating. It must be 1. a great projector and 2. those who researched it knew what kind of picture to expect and have matched themselves up to it quite well. That's good for all of us, and speaks well of this forum that can give everyone the kind of information they need to buy these things sight unseen and be enthusiastic when they see it.

I think "basking" is a very good word. :D I'm going to try to "bask" tonight after the kids are in bed!

The only thing you need to order from Chief is the mount that is specific for the Sanyo PLV-70. We got ours through our projector vendor and got a discount on it. :) You should ask your vendor about that. The ceiling plate and extension pole are needed, but those are local hardware store items. When you get the mount, there will be a plate with a threaded hole. We took this (well, a friend did) to our local guy store and had a pipe cut and threaded to fit. Ours was very short, but we still needed a way to attach the mount to the ceiling plate, and the pipe is it. The ceiling plate just needs a matching hole that you can screw the pipe into, and holes that can have screws put through, into your ceiling joists. I'm sure there are lots of styles. Ours is quite small, 6" diameter I believe.

You have the mount in hand before you get the pipe and ceiling plate. The mount is in two main pieces. One has the hole, then the other piece screws into the base of the pj. The mount is made exactly to match up. There is a release built in so it can come apart quite easily, or you can put in an anti-theft gizmo that comes with the unit.

Now, there are guys who make do it yourself mounts, and show how they do theirs in the DIY forum. We aren't DIY people, for the most part, so we did it the slick and expensive way, and it works very well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am in the same boat. I just got a quote from Sarah at PP for a Peerless mount at about half of what I've seen elsewhere (cables too!)

I'm torn between a ceiling mount and building an alcove in the rear wall (which is where the mount would be anyway) I am building a riser for the couch that sits against the back wall and I worried about getting those people too close to the PLV-70. It can be a little loud in quiet passages.

I guess I need to go to one of the other forums and hang out for ideas.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this mount made for my plv70. I traced the bottom of the unit onto paper, punched in holes where the screw holes were, and passed it along to one of those guys who knows everyone. He had the metal piece made (weighed about as much as the PJ), then bolted everything else into place. Above the drop ceiling are two of the black pieces holding the pipe into place. Its very sturdy and not about to come down. I'm in the process of finding something to hide the pipe, wires, and cut-out in the ceiling tiles. Total cost was under $75.

border592

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was supposed to be a picture attached to that last post. I'll try it again, but if its a no-go, I'll email it to whoever wants it.

border592

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for the input -- for those others who run into the same issue, I bought:

(A) a Chief RPA-985 (the part that connects to the projector),

(B) a Chief 6"x6" ceiling plate (connects to the ceiling),

(C) a 10" length of 1.5" pipe, and

(D) 4 bolts/washers/nuts to connect the ceiling plate to the ceiling.

My projector is upstairs, so I didn't need have to deal with a drop ceiling.

Other than the crawl into the attic, it was pleasantly easy to get the projector mounted and going.

Thanks again,

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.