AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I appreciate the help for new HTPC builders in this form, and have read through the posted HTPC guides. One question that I had which was not so clear was pertaining to building a HTPC that would perform typical HTPC tasks (playing ISO files, Hulu Plus, etc.) as well as play Netflix files. I know that a lot of other set-top boxes play Netflix and Hulu nowadays, but I have a special case where my wife can only watch TV and movies that have either captions or subtitles, and most STB do not output captions.

So, I am looking to build a barebones HTPC (no wifi, no 3D, no HD tuner or record capabilities) that would be able to play DVD iso images and HD streaming content from services such as Hulu and Netflix (I hear Netflix might make the difference in component selection since Silverlight seems to be processor-intensive; can anyone clarify?) Based on these requirements, can anyone make any recommendations on particular processor and/or graphics cards that I should look into?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
as of right now Silverlight cannot reliably do HD well on an Atom/Ion setup. I have read conflicting stories about how AMD Fusion handles it.

A G620 processor and an H61 chipset motherboard will probably be the cheapest combination right now that will give you exactly what you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.