AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post to AVS but I have been lurking the forums for a few weeks now in hope that I would come to some sort of informed decision on which way to go. My dilemma is to either get a decent 5.1 system now or hold on, be patient and gradually acquire a great 5.1 system.

My current set-up is as follows;

AVR = Pioneer Elite SC-07

TV = Panasonic 65VT50

PS3 Slim

EeeBox HTPC

R & L: Polk Audio Series 7

Center: Bose VCS-10

Surr: Cerwin Vega SA-150

Sub: YST SW-160

My room dimensions: 25x14 with 8 foot ceilings. There is a 5x11 ceiling opening for stairs on one end. My listening position is about 11 feet from the front speakers.

My usage would be 70%/20%/10% HT/Music/Games. That being said I'm far more critical when listing to music and usually listen in a 2.0 configuration.

As you can see I have a tendency to hold on to my components for a long time so it makes my decision making more difficult as I will likely have whatever I purchase for the foreseeable future.

I have a firm 3k budget (wife approved) and my first thought is to shore up my 2.0 with a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade. Then with next years budget I would get the Sierra Horizon and a new Sub (suggestions welcome). I would fill out the surrounds along the way probably with CMT-340s.

Another route I could take would be to get a 3k 5.1 system right now and be finished with it. This approach would please the wife most

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,336 Posts
I would go slowly and:

- start with a new sub (or two);

- then upgrade your mains and then your center (or all three at the same time); and

- finish up with the surrounds.

For suggestions on subwoofers, you should start a thread in the Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers sub-forum. Include this bit of information...
Quote:
My room dimensions: 25x14 with 8 foot ceilings. There is a 5x11 ceiling opening for stairs on one end. My listening position is about 11 feet from the front speakers.

My usage would be 70%/20%/10% HT/Music/Games. That being said I'm far more critical when listing to music and usually listen in a 2.0 configuration.
...as well as a specific budget range or ceiling for the sub(s) purchase.

Since you're looking for accuracy, you will likely be steered toward Rythmik, but there are plenty of other good options (including PSA, SVS, HSU and Outlaw).

-- Edit --

I just noticed that you're a local guy...
...so you will most likely want to consider something (SB12-NSD, dual SB-1000s, etc.) from SVS, since they have an official Canadian distributor: sonicboomaudio.com.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.