Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well the tax return has arrived, its time to finalize my decisions. I know I want to go with AMD and I know I want to go with the via chipset. I'm still in the air on 2-3 mobo's, thats basically depending on which memory I choose to go with, probably gonna go with ddr 2100 as the 2700 doesn't come with too many good recommendations.

Anyhow, I want to go with a radeon video card and seperate capture card so I can continue using dscaler. I'm wondering which radeon card would be ideal. I'm planning on purchasing from newegg.com

TIA,

Rosco

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Any particular reason you want VIA? VIA systems always seem to have more troubles in the HTPC arena, though I'm sure that they are just fine in less stressful situations. Maybe I'm behind the times and now VIAs are all happy tunes, but that's not been my understanding.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Quote:
VIA out performs SiS and Ali, it is also much more stable.
It won't do you much good to go a hundred miles an hour straight towards a crash. Its not all about performance in the HTPC world. If you don't have the right components for this particular job, you might have plenty of speed but annoying quirks and jerky video and audio glitches and any other number of things.

You can do whatever you want of course, just don't say you weren't warned.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not a dedicated HTPC. It will also be my primary pc. I use it well beyond *regular* htpc uses. Therefor performance is important to me.

Now, with all due respect, might I once again bring to mind the topic with-which this post was originally started? Radeon??

-Rosco

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that the 7200? I noticed the 7000 didn't have a fan, which is always nice. A fan isn't an issue for me, I'd just get that passive heat sink.

Which model?

-Rosco

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
X,

Hadn't planned on it. Gaming isn't of much interest, at least not to a great degree. I am into some strategy games, nothing too intense. However I do plan on watching a lot of movies, dvd rips included. As well I plan on giving pvr another shot. So when I say performance is important; it refers to in the future I don't want to require more processor power. I have the money now, and I wan't to do it right the first time.

-Rosco

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Ross2K:

___Since in a 2 paragraph opening post of a thread about “Request for Radeon Recommendations†you made mention of the ATI Radeon in 9 words or less, I believe the rest of your HW is open game for comment as well considering you chose the first paragraph to discuss your CPU/chipset choice directly. In other words, Dean had every right to mention that you have been warned and did so quite tastefully I might add. I do recommend that you remove the superfluous paragraph and wording as well as sticking to the topic at hand in your request if that helps focus the conversation somewhat.

___And for my addition … If you want performance and reliability, any number of P4 based chipsets and a high frequency P4 will more than suffice for both your need for performance DT as well as a reliable platform for an HTPC. Even the PIII/Celeron III on an I815EP-B would more than suffice for just about any DT performance item you may consider today given the Radeon’s you will spec are ~ 2-3X slower than the fastest gaming cards. It is similar to hobbling a Dodge Viper w/ 15†Snow tires from the local Sam’s Club. I am sure you caught the point of that statement ;)

___As for the Radeon’s, you will probably want to consider the passively cooled “LEâ€, DDR Retail, passively cooled 7200, or even a PCI based Radeon. The 7200 SDR’s I have purchased have come without fans and I cannot tell you why there are those that have received 7200’s with them. In any case, the passively cooled “LE’sâ€/7200’s are the best choice for the HTPC’er IMO.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
IMO after reading many posts, trying a radeon 8500, and a 7500. i got the radeon 7500.

Having decided that... you then have to consider "Powered by" or "ATI built" Most (probably all) suggest ATI Built. However these are hard to get in some places as i understand ATI not building them anymore.

I would have to bow to xcel's experience and say go for the 7200... i didn't because these are not easy to get in Aus..

My reasearch led me to believe that you don't touch the 8500 (some would disagree) the 7200 and 7500 are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased the ATI AIW Radeon 7500. My previous card (AIW Pro) would not do custom resolutions. I am very happy with this choice. The RF remote control is handy, I prefer the non-interlaced modes (1920x540p, 1584x540p, 960x540p, 920x500p ...), and I couldn't give up the tuner/capture capability. With my older system, and AGP 1.0 slot, the nVidia card would not work.

Hitachi 60SDX88

RCA VHDC300 ($82 incl. shipping Spectravox.com)

ATI AIW Radeon 7500

No DVD-ROM yet ... Recommendations ..?

Powerstrip 3.0

328MB Ram

45GB HD

And my old K6-2/300 is still going strong!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.