AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone knows of a thread already on this, I apologize.

I simply would like to know whether I should use a DLP pj with 800x600 native resolution or pay more and get a 1024x768 pj. DVD playback is of course important, but so is PC projection (web / games).

Does it matter what the native resolution of a pj is, or will either one scale up (in the case of 800x600 -> 1024x768)?

I'm going to be using the AIW 8500dv with std. cable input plus DVD playback in a 12x15 room on a DIY screen probably around 3x6 or 4x8.

Rgds,

John Wehman

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You should probably state your price range, as that is of course your determining factor. But I'm assuming you are going for a less expensive model. Two of the best lower priced models are panasonic L300U and the sony HS10. Another even lower priced unit is the sanyo PLVZ1. I would begin your search for a projector with those models. If you want to stick with DLP a cheap one that is decent is the InFocus X1.

Try not to focus only on the resolution. As that is only one of the many factors in choosing a projector. For example if you have a smaller room, you'll want one with a shorter throw like the 300U. Or if you have alot of ambient light and you watch TV/DVDs/gaming with the lights on, the PLV-70 is a great projector but it is twice the price of those cheaper models I listed. Or at least get one with as many lumens as you can afford, if that is a problem. If DVDs are a priority, then you might want to consider one that was designed for the 16:9 ratio. The sony HS10 is native WXGA 1366x768 Pixels, great for 16:9. Also you might want to consider whether or not DVI-HDCP is an issue for you.

And as far as your other question goes, no the PJs don't scale up. If you get a 800x600 res, thats the max you'll ever get.

Start by looking here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_pt_l300u.htm

When you are ready to buy, check out the prices listed on the links on this website. I bought mine from an affiliate and did not have any problems at all.

That should at least get you started.

Personally, I would always pay more for the higher resolution, for DVD playback, web or gaming. My FP is 1368 x 768 and I always have it at that resolution whether it is for web, PC apps or DVDS. I do make it 800x600 when I'm playing games that use that resolution. The only reason I would have purchased a lower res FP is if I only watched alot of 4:3 TV, and then 1368x768 on a FP wouldn't have made alot of sense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.