AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Linux drivers for HDTV video capture boards such as the MIT MyHD MDP-100 card are not available. I contacted MIT and they explained they cannot create a Linux driver until Teralogic in turn provides a Linux driver for the Teralogic Janus decoder, which is on the MyHD card. I sent an email to Teralogic sales requesting they do so.

Here is contact information for anyone else who cares to do the same (Teralogic is now part of Oak Technologies):

MIT
MIT Sales Email

Teralogic @ Oak Technologies
Teralogic Sales Email [

·
Registered
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aldheorte
Linux drivers for HDTV video capture boards such as the MIT MyHD MDP-100 card are not available. I contacted MIT and they explained they cannot create a Linux driver until Teralogic in turn provides a Linux driver for the Teralogic Janus decoder, which is on the MyHD card. I sent an email to Teralogic sales requesting they do so.

Here is contact information for anyone else who cares to do the same (Teralogic is now part of Oak Technologies):

MIT
MIT Sales Email

Teralogic @ Oak Technologies
Teralogic Sales Email [
It baffles me why companies don't provide Linux drivers for their hardware. Linux is growing so much these days and they're just not willing to acknowledge a lot of their potential market.

Tom

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah, it's not very clear what they are thinking, in terms of strategy for these cards. Linux drivers, leading to HD Open PVR devices, would be a good way for them to entrench themselves.

Once the ATI All In Wonder HDTV cards hit the market, it's going to be tough for these guys to compete (I don't know of any ATI plans for this, it just seems like an obvious next step for them).

I can see some companies being secretive about their IP in the device drivers. nVidia is a good example of this, complex drivers, in a highly competitive market. But, for the HD cards, all the value is in the ATSC tuners and the MPEG decoders -- the hardware. I can't imagine they see their device drivers as a competitive advantage that they must keep secret. If so, I wonder who they see as their competition?

Quote:
Originally posted by tbdombrosky
It baffles me why companies don't provide Linux drivers for their hardware. Linux is growing so much these days and they're just not willing to acknowledge a lot of their potential market.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tji

My point to Oak/Teralogic mirrors yours: Hardware requiring the device manufacturer to license Windows Media Center is at a distinct disadvantage when Linux HDTV software matures and vendors start putting together sub-$300 embedded HTPC devices to reach the mainstream. At this price point, the licensing fee is quite apparent, unlike in a $1000+ computer where it is hidden amongst other charges.

Tom

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've been sending these requests for a year and a half now. I'm not even asking for drivers, just for device specifications, and have offered all of these people to write the driver for free...and considering that's what I do for a living, I too am baffled why they don't take me up on it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The only logical thing I can think of is that if the source is out there it's easy for someone to copy their work and pass it off as their own. They could however produce binary drivers which is what a lot of companies do.

Tom

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It's not unusual for a '[email protected]' type e-mail address to not go anywhere useful.. So, maybe these requests are just not getting to someone who can respond. (I have also sent messages to these guys in the past, with no responses.)

Maybe we can get a direct contact from someone at MIT, or Telemann.. Maybe 'mkanet' can give an e-mail address for someone at Teralogic that can answer some questions. Maybe we can find someone who will say "piss off", and at least tell us why..

Or, maybe I can drive over there and bang on the door. Teralogic's HQ was in Mountain View, down the street from a Coffee shop I frequent (Red Rock Coffee).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
It seems like Teralogic changed their tune.. check out this old post from a Teralogic guy I found in a Google search:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-...2/29/0003.html

http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/.../msg00142.html

Of course, they also have their 'Cougar' platform, with Linux drivers already.. So, it would not be surprising if they have Janus drivers internally.

http://www.chipcenter.com/digitalcon...s/news290.html
So, would it be worthwhile for me to contact this David Auld guy? I'm sure I could write the driver in a matter of days, and would throw in MacOS X, and Solaris for good measure. Or is someone else already on it?

·
Registered
603 Posts
It would great if you would do that. Now there's really no reason to keep Windows (finally).

Tom

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here is the response I got from pc-dtv.com. Nothing of any substance..

I will respond back to him asking for more specific information on Linux drivers, hardware spec's, etc.

------

Hi,

first thanks for your interest in the HIDTV Pro.

Unfortunately not at this time, but we might offer Linux drivers in the future.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions about the HiDTV Pro.

Best regards,

Jens Wellmann

PC DTV Technologies, LLC

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I got a response. Nothing encouraging, but he is thinking about it. I told him we would do it at no charge, and he could do whatever he wants with it. Why they would turn that down, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Maybe we can point him to some of the Linux PVR sites, to show him where the Janus cards could integrate into some cool structures.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.