Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!

Could anyone provide instructions that I can provide to someone to build a frame to hold a Sintra material board? The screen is to be a 52X92 and the Sintra will weigh approx. 20-25 lbs. and will be either 1/8" or 1/4". I would like velvet wrapped on the border. How much over the 52X92 should the Sintra be to have 52X92 viewable? I am not handy so I am trying to find someone to do the frame and they have no idea on how to do it exactly to the point where no one is willing to quote a cost as they don't know what they're in for. If I could provide a good working parts list and instructions it would help me very much.

Now as far as mounting it, the wall it will go on is brick from the floor to 45" and bricks laid pointing out make a shelf of approx. 6" and then the other 45" up to the ceiling is a rough textured wall. I am thinking the way to mount this would be to have wood attached to the brace and this wood would lie on the shelf and could be bolted into the brick shelf from the top. How best to level it? Shims? Would getting it squared real nice be difficult do you think? Any ideas?

Thank you for your feedback!

bedo

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would tell them that it's just like a picture frame, with an opening 52x92, and a frame width of 2 or 3 inches. Depending how heavy you want it to be they could make if out of 1x3 or 2x4 or something along those lines. Tell them you want mitered corners with biscuit joins, and removeable corner braces that screw on after the inner screen goes in.

I would coat it with velvet or paint it yourself. Probably cut down on costs.

You should only need 1/4" in each direction for the material to go into the frame, so make the inner screen material 52.5x92.5 or so. (Depends on how they make the frame of course).

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bedo
I am not handy so I am trying to find someone to do the frame and they have no idea on how to do it exactly to the point where no one is willing to quote a cost as they don't know what they're in for. bedo
you know screen companies do this. Why don't you call Jason or Daniel at AVS and ask what Da-Lite screens cost. you should seriously consider how simple it's gonna be if professionals make your screen. Many DIYers probably wish they just went this route after their disasterous project never really worked or turned out like they expected. Often times costing so much in their time that no price tag could ever make up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
derrick,

Thank you, I think that will really help! Much obliged.

As for Tryg... :p

Yes, you are the voice of reason and when all is said and done I realize I will be pretty darn close to the cost of a Dalite pulldown (and that is with no roadblocks!) but what drives me is the concept that this diy would be higher quality PQ with Digital Grey Lite sprayed on Sintra than a Dalite pulldown. I have a friend that is a pro painter and will spray the board so I've got that going for me. If the frame is done well then I think the cool factor will be off the charts as far as I'm concerned! The WAF factor is considerably lower with the diy and you should have mentioned that as well, Tryg ;) so it ends up being a wash. In my lucid moments I realize I should think more about taking the easier road but hope springs eternal...

:D ;) :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.