AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, make the same as Samsung do in the Samsung KE55S9S. They improves motion resolution up to 1080 stripes without flickering and without unnatural motion rendition in 24/30 fps video.
Now you have only 600 stripes (in ec9300 only 300, because increasing to 600 unnatural motion rendition in 24/30 fps video).

·
Banned
425 Posts
There's a lot of room for improvement when the pixels can theoretically be switched on/off at 100kHz. Flicker's probably not something we'll have to worry about once they set about solving this issue the right way (no human I've ever met can perceive flicker on a CRT scanning at 120 Hz). I get the impression that LG just took the motion smoothing off its LCDs and decided that was an adequate solution. Perhaps because the pixels don't get bright enough to do anything but sample-and-hold without a noticeable drop in brightness?

I think these displays are already plenty bright, and I'd really like that option even if most customers would never use it because it dims the picture too much for their tastes. It'd be the same thing as Panasonic's 48 / 96 Hz modes, a lot of people hate them because they flicker but it doesn't bother me one bit. Not only does it improve motion, it also makes film content look like it would on a traditional projector. :cool:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I get the impression that LG just took the motion smoothing off its LCDs and decided that was an adequate solution.
There's probably some truth to that. As far as I know LG, never offered backlight scanning/strobing on their LCDs either so it would be a new development for them to offer it on OLED. What made it less practical for them on LCD was also the fact that their higher end models used edge LED's aligned on the top and bottom borders of the screen instead of on the sides like everyone else. I think that LED arrangement is less optimal for backlight scanning.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm against BFI. Flickering damage eyes and brain.
your going to need to produce something a bit more "scientific" then 2 computer monitor review sites for me to believe that. Neither of which mentioned anything about brain damage by the way....

Did you even read either of those articles?

"PWM is not the actual problem. It is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem occurs if the blinking/flickering is indirectly perceptible by the human eye when the PWM is running at too low frequencies."

TVs have been flickering since they were made..all CRTs flicker......

Your far more likely to strain/damage your eyes from sitting 2 feet from a computer monitor thats too bright then from one that's "flickering"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts