AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

(Sorry, Due to my post count, I could not link any of the items)

This is my first post here so I hope I can get a lot of great feedback.

Background and Purpose:

So I work for a Charity and recently we are in need of setting up our training hall with an Audio and Mic system. We use it for training, events, Veteran groups, etc. We play light background music, audio from videos, and people speaking.
The room is 50'x50' (2,500^2 Ft) and 20' high ceilings (50,000^3 Ft.) We have a drop ceiling with some thick heavy duty panels.Room next door is our Electrical/Network Closet where we plan to house all the hardware. Between the 2 rooms is a cinder block wall.
Our Budget isn't the highest of limits but you will get an idea as you see what we are looking at.

Speakers:

So as mentioned above, we are looking for some decent sound but doesn't need to be top end. We have purchased for now 4 pairs of Pyle PDIC81RD. They seem decent with the capability being loud when needed and not super expensive so we can get a few more for such a large room. With this we also purchased the Pyle Bluetooth receiver (PWA15BT) to be able to control the volume from the wall.
I would sincerely appreciate any feed back on these speakers or suggestions.

Also considering using Back Cans on the ceiling speakers to help direct the sound a little better for the room.

Mic System and Inputs:

To begin, we are looking in the future to mount a short-throw projector on our ceiling near one of the walls. With it is various cables including HDMI. I would like to have the projector also Output its audio to the Speakers.

Mics: We are stuck in a boggle and not sure where to go. With this we will also take other suggestions if you can give some details and 1st hand experience with it.
We are looking at 2 systems right now. Our goal is to be able to have 4 speakers at once talking/hooked up. We are looking at the Shure BLX combo series. We want 2 Lav's and 2 Handhelds. We would end up getting 2 of these Dual channels to complete our goal. Someone else we consulted has suggested looking into Bogen UDMS800-HH and UDMS800-BP. These are less expensive than Shure but I am unsure of Quality as this is the first I have heard of them.

Also taking thoughts on a Mixer as well..

AMP/Receiver:

Basically, I have nothing on this yet. I need it powerful enough to be able to support the Pyle speakers above but would like it to also possibly to support up to 12 speakers and not just these 8. Room to grow is always a nice thing to have. Taking suggestions heavily on this with consideration to the Speakers.

Again, thank you all for helping review and giving any feedback in this for us. This is not my area of expertise... I prefer the Servers and Network...
Sincerely.
Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update -
Provided we get approval from our President, we are going to go with these Shure Combo set: Shure BLX1288/CVL

amazon.com/Shure-BLX1288-Wireless-Handheld-Microphone/dp/B00IVPFO5C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473259520&sr=8-5&keywords=Shure+BLX

We are still looking for a Receiver and mixer at this point in time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Read my posts on this thread, most of it applies to you as well.

You've already bought the wrong speakers, and are on the way to purchasing the wrong electronics. If you can't hire a consultant (budget for equipment but not for consultation or professional design), you've got some studying to do.

I'm going to warn everyone about the Bogen document linked to below. MOST of the information in it is accurate, but the most important part, calculating the number and spacing of speakers, is completely wrong for many applications, and ignores the characteristics of the speakers themselves. It will get you in the ballpark, but generally results in too few speakers spaced too far apart for a high quality system optimized for music and/or minimal microphone feedback. It's also a bit brand centric. When I design these I'm using the right pieces for the job, not all from the same manufacturer.

With the above proviso, here it is, read and understand.

I realize that my post on this subject, and there have been many, end up sounding snippy and vague. These things are horribly misunderstood, though, and people seem to categorize sound system design and installation along with plugging in a lamp, when really it's more like wiring or plumbing a house (in some ways more complex). They always pick speakers first (backwards) then try to power the whole mess with a consumer receiver (won't work well at all), and always, always, always under budget.

Reactions: LccTech

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Again, you don't want a receiver at all, and the mixer may not be what you're thinking. Read the document, multiply the speaker count you calculate by 2, look at commercial sound speakers in the $25-$35 range, and look at 70V mixer amps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jaddie,

Thank you so much for all the information. It does help and actually seems easier to setup than the Home route we were heading. We still will need to determine how many speakers we will need to do but have an idea in mind. (12)

Would this 70/100V JBL system be a good start? It is a commercial mixer/amp. Is there a suggestion on which of the 3 would be recommended? (if you even think these are capable of doing the job)
JBL CSMA 240/280/2120
jblcommercialproducts.com/en-US/products/csma-2402802120

Since I still cannot link anything :(

I would probably just change the wall mounted volume control to be compatible with the same system and look at
JBL COMMERCIAL CSR-3SV-WHT
amazon.com/JBL-COMMERCIAL-CSR-3SV-WHT-REMOTE-CONTROLFOR/dp/B011OUW6QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473356556&sr=8-1&keywords=CSR-3SV

Just looking around the same site, Would these be some commercial speakers that could be acceptable?
JBL CSS8018
amazon.com/JBL-CSS8018-Commercial-Ceiling-Speaker/dp/B004W47Y36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473357415&sr=8-1&keywords=CSS8018

I would probably purchase Back cans and rails to ease of installment.

Please let me know if I understood this better than before :/ I'm thinking I have a better understanding but still fresh in this.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Jaddie,

Thank you so much for all the information. It does help and actually seems easier to setup than the Home route we were heading. We still will need to determine how many speakers we will need to do but have an idea in mind. (12)
You have a 20' ceiling, right?

Would this 70/100V JBL system be a good start? It is a commercial mixer/amp. Is there a suggestion on which of the 3 would be recommended? (if you even think these are capable of doing the job)
JBL CSMA 240/280/2120
jblcommercialproducts.com/en-US/products/csma-2402802120
I've used those, they're ok. The CSMA 1120 might be all you need, though.

I would probably just change the wall mounted volume control to be compatible with the same system and look at
JBL COMMERCIAL CSR-3SV-WHT
amazon.com/JBL-COMMERCIAL-CSR-3SV-WHT-REMOTE-CONTROLFOR/dp/B011OUW6QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473356556&sr=8-1&keywords=CSR-3SV
Why do you need wall-mounted volume controls?
Just looking around the same site, Would these be some commercial speakers that could be acceptable?
JBL CSS8018
amazon.com/JBL-CSS8018-Commercial-Ceiling-Speaker/dp/B004W47Y36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473357415&sr=8-1&keywords=CSS8018
Might, but I haven't run any numbers. The 20' ceiling is working against the speaker power capability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a 20' ceiling, right?
Yes we do.

I've used those, they're ok. The CSMA 1120 might be all you need, though.
Okay, that sounds good. I was thinking that might be enough but always better safe than sorry.

Why do you need wall-mounted volume controls?
This room isn't in use at all times, there are different things that will happen as well. We need to be able to control it in the room versus giving access to our network closet and hardware for everyone.
And if I think i get this right, with the CSMA 1120, we could add speakers into the hallway leading up to it for some ambiance music with another wall controller. (this would be a far after thought)

Might, but I haven't run any numbers. The 20' ceiling is working against the speaker power capability.
Well, that is why I was thinking Back Cans would help with moving the sound forward and out instead of being lost in the drop ceiling panels.

Thanks again for your help with this! This helps sooo much with knowing where to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts