AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I will have an addition made to my home that will provide me the space I've wanted for a deluxe theater as well as a gameroom. This space will be over my garage. Single family, all brick home on 1.5 acres. Neighbors are not a concern. Quiet neighborhood. The theater is what I'm trying to decide on and design at the moment. The only dimension of the room that is fixed is the width at 21 feet. Entry would be from the back of the room. All of the walls of the theater would be external walls except the rear wall. I would like to have three rows of seating. I have up to 15 feet of ceiling height. I would like at least 150" diagonal screen (16x9).

Video Equipment:

DirecTV HD Receiver

1080p projector - yet to be purchased

Blu Ray Dvd: LG BD370

Audio Equipment: (7.1 sound)

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-25 (150 w/ch x 7)

Speakers: Center DefTech CLR3000; Mains Deftech BP2000TLs, Surrounds Deftech BPX (2 pair)

Sub: Infinite Baffle (Eight 15" IB woofers in a manifold in the attic) driven by separate amplifier.

Objectives:

1. A high quality video and audio experience for movies and television.

2. Comfort (Temperature and Air Quality)

3. No distractions from things like HVAC.

4. Stylishly Themed Theater (I will take care of this part).

Areas that are not a concern:

Sound Isolation from the rest of the house.

Listening to music.

Questions are as follows:

Dimensions:

What would be the proper dimensions for this dream HT? My thoughts are that with a 150" diagonal screen, that the eyes (or back) of the first row would be at 15', the second row at 22', and the third row at 29', which would put the back wall (or length of the room) at 32'. Allowing for 6" on each side for columns and 3' aisles on each side, that would leave 14' for seating on each row which should just fit 6 seats on each row (using Berkline Ritz for example).

HVAC:

I plan to run a dedicated HVAC unit to this space. How do you keep these as quiet as possible?

Insulation:

Looks like I will be using a combination of closed cell foam, insulated batting, and radiant barrier to thermally "isolate" the space from the garage below. The home is in the Dallas, TX area and it gets hot here. I will be hiring a professional to take care of this aspect, but input is welcome.

Sound:

What issues do I need to concern myself with here? Will I need an additional pair (or more) of surrounds? I'm allowing 3' from the back wall to the back row of seating. Is this sufficient? I will be installing sound treatments including bass traps and acoustic foam (much of which I already have).

Video:

Is 150" diagonal big enough for this room? Recommendations for a projector that can throw that size of image are appreciated... DLP preferred.

Construction:

If I am not concerned with isolating sound from the rest of the house, do I need to worry about such things as double studs? Do I need to install double drywall?

Other:

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi SMB,

Didn't think a drawing would be necessary for a rectangular box, but I have some drawings that I'll scan and insert.

For now, I've attached a picture of the house as it currently is and a picture of the garage. The new theater will be over the end of the garage.

Thanks in advance...

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla /forum/post/18240290

Hi SMB,

Didn't think a drawing would be necessary for a rectangular box, but I have some drawings that I'll scan and insert.

Seeing the actuall planned viewing distances will make it easier to answer your questions on screen size.

As for keeping the HVAC quiet connect your dedicated HVAC system up to the room with true acoustical duct and isolate the compressor and air handler units from the room with soundproofing techniques.

See FlexmasterUSA.com look at insulated duct product 6m or 6b

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
First off it looks like a beautiful home!

One of the things I think you may want to consider is sound isolation. You mention this is not a concern and my guess is that you say that because you believe that you won't bother anyone else when watching a movie. Have you thought about the fact that others might bother you? For instance a neighbor mowing his lawn or using power tools, someone using a nearby shower/appliance/room, or some other mechanical in the area? Sound isolation is just as much about keeping the outside noise out as is it keeping the theater sound in!

If you are really interested in the highest audio and video quality have you considered hiring a pro to assist in the design of the room. Someone like Dennis Erskine, Bryan Pape (bpape), or Terry Montilick for instance?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys... I've attached drawing schematics of the planned space... To answer/respond in order:

BigMouthinDC: The compressor will be outside and the air handler will be in the attic, but not close to the room. Thanks for the info on acoustical duct. No, I haven't considered continuous 2.35. I don't know if that would be worth the money to me. That requires a lens attachment to your projector in order to keep a consistent aspect ratio, correct? I don't know if that is terribly important to me.

In2Photos: First, thank you for the compliment on my home. I don't think that noise coming in will be an issue. Part of that space right now is my current theater and there are absolutely no noise issues despite a complete lack of isolation techniques. 3 of the 4 walls will be exterior walls, which will all be brick and heavily insulated. There will be no windows. The adjoining rooms, as indicated on the drawing, are a powder room and equipment room.

I know I need to move the seating in the drawings to allow the three feet from the back wall. Probably make adjustments to the drawing tonight.

Bonus Space with dimensions.pdf 14.9287109375k . file

Bonus Space with furniture.pdf 15.8564453125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I'm trying to design this with the assistance of the AVS community. If it becomes too unweildy, I may hire a professional, but there are many, many projects that I need to attend to, so I'm trying to do as much as I can myself in order to stretch my funds as far as possible.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla /forum/post/18240290

For now, I've attached a picture of the house as it currently is and a picture of the garage. The new theater will be over the end of the garage.

Nice house, Todd. Do you have an actual moat around it, or just a drawbridge with railings leading to the front door?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought about a moat, but then got worried about dragons... ;-)

Actually, I live in one of the few areas of the DFW metroplex that has hills and topography, so water routing and drainage techniques are required if you want your foundation to stay in one place. I designed the horseshoe driveway and ballistrade approach to the house as well as the decking and swimming pool in the back. We have done a LOT to the home... It was basically a big white box (inside) when we first got it.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
That is a lot of screen area to light up. You'll need a ton of lumens. If you mostly watch scope movies you might be better served with less of a blowtorch projector and a scope screen and external lens.

I am not in love with the two entrance approach. I'd move the rack to the corner and maybe put access to the back in through the bath. I know you don't care about sound isolation, but it seems inelegant. I am sure the bar is a priority to you, but it takes away opportunities for some of the dramatic entrances you can see on this forum (e.g. IndyGreg's).

Do you really want all that seating? Do you have big gatherings? Or are you filling the space? You might want to look at Indygreg's thread for his desk seating.

I'd think hard about getting Dennis involved. This is a huge space, and there are a lot more opportunities than most of us who shoe horn our theaters in get a chance to do. Although, on the flip side, you have Big posting here, perhaps you are a napkin away.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found some pics here that I forgot I had... pic of the garage during the day; a pic of the subwoofer; and a pic of the pool just for fun (I'm ready for warm weather again)...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed about the screen size... It is a concern about the lumens. With the width of the room fixed at 21' though, I thought anything smaller than 150" diagonal might look out of proportion... but I'm all ears for input about this.

I am a tremndous fan of symmetry, so the two entrance approach is appealing to me asthetically, but more importantly, it allows egress from either side of the room while watching a movie, which causes a lot less disruption.

The intended use of the space is primarily functional, but the gameroom is big, so I have options... I've never considered an "entrance", and I'm not quite sure what you mean by the term, but I'll definitely go check out IndyGreg's.

We enjoy hosting parties like the Superbowl and love having people over for movie nights. One of the thoughts was to make the theater only two rows and thereby make the gameroom even larger than it is, but I would really like to have everyone in the same room when possible for specific events, so I really like the theoretical idea of the 3 row theater and will go that route unless it causes too many problems with the audio and video aspects of the theater.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm not well versed in IB subs but won't they make your attic thump in a way that it could annoy the neighbors? I would reconsider doing 6 seats/row for one of the rows, if you are watching a movie by yourself you would want to sit dead center, am I correct? How will you have the equipment rack positioned in the equipment room? It is nice to have access to the front and the back without requiring a pull-out rack. It also seems like you have an abundance of $$$ so why not build the theater the right way with the full monty of sound isolation and equipment, your equipment seems midrange for a theater of that size. Check out JTR speakers for a real theater speaker. other things to consider: AT screen, Star ceiling, 11.1 and higher futureproofing, and many others that I will surely think of in the near future. don't buy the equipment until the theater is 95% done. Also consider your "powder room" only opening up to the game room, this will remove the wasted space of a hallway and the acoustical leak the extra door in the theater would create.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla /forum/post/18241915

Agreed about the screen size... It is a concern about the lumens. With the width of the room fixed at 21' though, I thought anything smaller than 150" diagonal might look out of proportion... but I'm all ears for input about this.

I agree you need to scale your screen to your room. I was just thinking about the lumens

As an example of scope being less, here, is a comparison to a 143" 2.35 screen. This will give you an identical size for your scope movies, but your surface area is only 7367.60 inches vs 9614.24 inches for the 150" screen. The difference is in your end set up you don't have to allocate lumens to the 2300 inches or so of black bars. In which case, maybe you can go bigger with your scope screen?

http://www.displaywars.com/150-inch-...143-inch-235x1

If its more used for HDTV, then maybe you want the 16:9 ratio.

Quote:
I am a tremndous fan of symmetry, so the two entrance approach is appealing to me asthetically, but more importantly, it allows egress from either side of the room while watching a movie, which causes a lot less disruption.

One alternative is if you space your rear seats from the wall their audio would improve and it would allow space for people to walk. Depends on your seating desires.

Quote:
The intended use of the space is primarily functional, but the gameroom is big, so I have options... I've never considered an "entrance", and I'm not quite sure what you mean by the term, but I'll definitely go check out IndyGreg's.

Its not performance related, just flair. Fun flair though.

Quote:
but I would really like to have everyone in the same room when possible for specific events, so I really like the theoretical idea of the 3 row theater and will go that route unless it causes too many problems with the audio and video aspects of the theater.

Have you looked at "the getaway"? Would you want to merge the entertaining spaces? Obviously an acoustic compromise, but a killer entertaining layout.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1022589&page=2

·
Registered
525 Posts
Issue: 6 "ritz" recliners comes out to 17.25' wide using their narrowest numbers

I had some free time between classes so i whipped this up with visio. You can see that even the berkline 90's at 36" wide causes problems

Todd_zilla.pdf 25.5087890625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Loving the feedback guys, so thanks again... Responses:

"I'm not well versed in IB subs but won't they make your attic thump in a way that it could annoy the neighbors?"

No. The sub has been in place for years... No problems with the neighbors, but I'll get rid of the neighbors before I get rid of the sub. They will have to pry my IB powerhouse from my cold, dead hands. It's contained in a big attic with a lot of insulation... not an issue.

"I would reconsider doing 6 seats/row for one of the rows, if you are watching a movie by yourself you would want to sit dead center, am I correct?"

I don't think 12 - 15" either way makes that big of a difference in a room 21 feet wide, but something to consider... My wife usually is with me for movie watching.

"How will you have the equipment rack positioned in the equipment room?"

Right now, I'm thinking that it will be centered in the back of the room like I currently have set up. See the attached image of the existing media room.

"It also seems like you have an abundance of $$$..."

Not by a long stretch... would I be doing this myself if I had an "abundance" of $$$??? I guess "abundance" is a relative term, but I do most of the work myself to save $$$... There is a laundry list of other things to be done... Finish out the gameroom, retile a balcony, new countertops, tankless water heaters, sprinklers, landscaping, etc, etc, etc...

"so why not build the theater the right way with the full monty of sound isolation and equipment"

What do you consider the "full monty" for these things?

"your equipment seems midrange for a theater of that size."

I guess this is also a relative matter, but I like the equipment just fine... If it doesn't measure up once installed, I'll replace it... The receiver is considered by many to be in the company of the best receivers and I guarantee that my sub will outperform ANY production sub sold on the planet... I did look at JTR and don't see where they are a whole lot different from a price or configuration standpoint from my Deftech arrangement. Speakers are a very subjective, so to each his own... I like my speakers, but will change if they don't meet the requirement.

"other things to consider: AT screen"

Sacrifice in video quality... No need for it since there will not be speakers behind it... Although they look great, I've never heard an in-wall I liked better or as well as freestanding... Not likely.

"other things to consider: Star ceiling"

Already in the plans, but this has no impact on audio or video that I know of.

"other things to consider: 11.1 and higher futureproofing"

Good idea and will be incorporating.

"don't buy the equipment until the theater is 95% done."

I already own most of the equipment and it is in my current theater.

"Also consider your "powder room" only opening up to the game room, this will remove the wasted space of a hallway and the acoustical leak the extra door in the theater would create."

Possible, but not probable. That means only one egress route when watching a movie and that can be disruptive. Plus, as mentioned earlier, I like the symmetry.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DC,

Good point on the 2.35 saving lumens... I'll have to explore that.

"One alternative is if you space your rear seats from the wall their audio would improve and it would allow space for people to walk. Depends on your seating desires."

Agreed... the back row of seating will be 3' from the back wall, so I could center the doorway and it could be a walkway... I would need to redesign the gameroom substantially though... I'll play with that...

"Have you looked at "the getaway"? Would you want to merge the entertaining spaces? Obviously an acoustic compromise, but a killer entertaining layout."

No... Absolutely not. I think it's beautiful and very tastfully done, but not what I want functionally... There will be no bar in my theater... that's part of what the game room is for. If they want to chit chat, watch the 55" TV in the bar area... If they want to experience a movie, come in the theater. I hate distractions during movie watching. For sports it's no big deal...

1 - 20 of 168 Posts