AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy my first projection unit.

13 X 24 foot room, rather dark, will have to use a pull down screen, 110"-133"

16:9 diagonal.

Primary purpose for unit is DVD movies and HDTV broadcast, along with some analog tv.

Picture quality is very important. The only unit I've ever seen is a Panasonic AE700 with a 133" Da-Lite screen and it was impressive. I was concerned however with the short warranty.

Could someone please give a short list of projectors and screen manufacturers to consider? (Projectors under 3000)

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I started out in the same place you are now about two months ago and I'm still looking. My first comparision was between the Optoma H79 and Sony HS51, but after lots of reading and going to the HT store and viewing less expensive models I'm looking at the Optoma H27 or Infocus 4805 (I don't like the M1 connector). I've decided to go for the low cost model now, get two or three years out of it, and hope three chip DLPs drop in price by the time I'm ready to move up. I'm playing the leap-frog game. I personally think this is the best strategy based on the rate at which new technologies are hitting the market. It reminds me of the evolution of the PC during the mid 90's. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that's something to think about, but how much would you pay in picture quality?

Also, is there something in between the attractive price of the INFOCUS 4805 and the resolution and HDTV input of the Panansonic AE700?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosier
I guess that's something to think about, but how much would you pay in picture quality?

Also, is there something in between the attractive price of the INFOCUS 4805 and the resolution and HDTV input of the Panansonic AE700?
The Z3 sounds like it might be a good fit. 3 yr warranty, 720p and priced between the 4805 and the AE700.

As far as PQ goes, it really depends on setup and user preferences. Some people actually prefer the 4805 to either the Z3 or the AE700 despite the lower resolution.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The folks who own the 4805 will argue their picture is just as good or better than PJs costing thousands more. It will come down to personal choice. I opting to save cash now, upgrade from my 27" TV to something way better, then upgrade again in three years. Buying low cost now will put me at an average of $600 dollars per year before upgrade. I'd argue that if you buy a 3-5K machine you will still want to upgrade in three years and your average yearly payment will be 1K-1.5K. Is the PQ so must better to justify the extra cash. From what I've seen the answer is no. Check out the screenshots here of the Optoma H31 and 4805:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567747

·
Registered
105 Posts
My vote is for the Infocus 4805, bright enough to throw a very large picture.

The richness of the colors and picture quality are amazing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.