AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am moving to a new house soon and finally am getting a room for videogames/movies :D . I want to get a projector + screen and am new at this so I am looking for some advice on what to do here. I have read quite a few threads in this sub and but still wanted to get some additional advice in case I am missing something.

The room is small with a window and closet (room sketch attached). Ceiling is 9'. I have 3 theater chairs that will be placed along the exterior wall so viewing distance will be ~ 10'. Walls can be painted if required.

From reading around here I have settled on Benq W1070 + maybe one of the following 2 screens that are "106 diagonal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10829&cs_id=1082910&p_id=7968&seq=1&format=2

http://www.amazon.com/STR-169106-Si...=1429736954&sr=1-1&keywords=silver+screen+106

Main usage is console videogames, netflix, amazon, and HDTV shows/sport with some movies sprinkled in the weekends. I am re-using some bookshelf speakers I already have and wanted to have the speakers on the sides of the screen.

Upon further reading I am now thinking of going bigger screen (maybe 120") by using a DIY AT screen, removing the door and installing a sliding door or something so I get back the 30 inches of space the door opening/closes takes. I should stop reading!! :cool:

Some initial questions :D:D :

1. Is the projector a good choice for my usage model? I think I meet the spacing and throw requirements based on a website calculator I checked.
2. Should I go 106" or bigger? Instinct tells me to maximize that wall space but unsure if > 106" is too big for my room
3. I want to at least match the IQ of the current set I use (70" Sony LED TV R550A) and have minimal input lag
4. Do I have enough space for a ceiling fan? I am thinking of ceiling mounting the projector.

Some room pics I took with my phone:

http://imgur.com/XSF3k6m
http://imgur.com/SqmMOje
http://imgur.com/6jgLyWu
http://imgur.com/r4nZGja
http://imgur.com/otcvvEr

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have a small gaming/theater room as well (10x14). I'd recommend a 106" screen. I had a 120 and it literally stretched wall to wall. While it was awesome at first, I got a ton of reflected light off the side walls. Plus, it just looked too big in a small room. I downsized to a 106" screen and love it, perfect size for the room and gives me about 4" on either side of the screen before the side walls (so less reflected light). You also should think about painting the walls and ceiling darker in order to eliminate reflected light. I used black cardboard panels I bought at Walmart and taped them to the ceiling, less permanent than paint. And get some nice dark curtains for the window.

As for projector, for under $1K, get the W1070. It's the best value and gaming projector in it's price range (just make sure you're not susceptible to rainbow effect).

If money is not an issue, get the Sony HW40es, hands down the best gaming projector you can get for under $3K. Better blacks and colors than the W1070 and whisper quiet fan. Either way, you'll have a great gaming room. Congrats on the new house.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Go diy and paint a screen on the wall, if you want bigger it's easily done or you can buy bigger and hang in front.

I've always found I'm quite a bit more competitive in FPS games on a smaller screen. It's easier to survey the whole screen.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a small gaming/theater room as well (10x14). I'd recommend a 106" screen. I had a 120 and it literally stretched wall to wall. While it was awesome at first, I got a ton of reflected light off the side walls. Plus, it just looked too big in a small room. I downsized to a 106" screen and love it, perfect size for the room and gives me about 4" on either side of the screen before the side walls (so less reflected light). You also should think about painting the walls and ceiling darker in order to eliminate reflected light. I used black cardboard panels I bought at Walmart and taped them to the ceiling, less permanent than paint. And get some nice dark curtains for the window.

As for projector, for under $1K, get the W1070. It's the best value and gaming projector in it's price range (just make sure you're not susceptible to rainbow effect).

If money is not an issue, get the Sony HW40es, hands down the best gaming projector you can get for under $3K. Better blacks and colors than the W1070 and whisper quiet fan. Either way, you'll have a great gaming room. Congrats on the new house.
I will probably get my feet wet with the W1070 and upgrade if Black levels and fan noise bothers me.

Yeah, walls are going to be painted and window will be treated to block light. Was wondering how the Sony HW40es compares to your Sony 70" W830B LED TV. I believe that TV is a newer model of mine and can use your comparison as a reference if I ever want to upgrade. TIA

Go diy and paint a screen on the wall, if you want bigger it's easily done or you can buy bigger and hang in front.

I've always found I'm quite a bit more competitive in FPS games on a smaller screen. It's easier to survey the whole screen.
Have not decided on the screen yet. Issue with painting a screen on the wall is that you can't hide the speakers behind it. I like how a screen looks without speakers on the side but I am still undecided on speakers on wall vs behind. :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
Was wondering how the Sony HW40es compares to your Sony 70" W830B LED TV. I believe that TV is a newer model of mine and can use your comparison as a reference if I ever want to upgrade. TIA
Friend of mine just picked up the W1070 last week and has been blown away by it. Has it in a basement with 1 small covered window. Says the blacks and colors are very good and the fan noise doesn't bother him. Even mentioned his slim Xbox 360 is louder than the projector lol.

As for picture comparisons between the HW40es and the W830B, they're almost identical. Only difference I've seen is the TV has more of a glossy image due to the glass screen. But picture quality is about equal on both. That's what really sold me on the HW40, it really does look as good as a huge LED TV on the wall (FWIW - my previous projector, Epson HC2000, did not look near as good as the Sony W830B).

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I will probably get my feet wet with the W1070 and upgrade if Black levels and fan noise bothers me.

Yeah, walls are going to be painted and window will be treated to block light. Was wondering how the Sony HW40es compares to your Sony 70" W830B LED TV. I believe that TV is a newer model of mine and can use your comparison as a reference if I ever want to upgrade. TIA

Have not decided on the screen yet. Issue with painting a screen on the wall is that you can't hide the speakers behind it. I like how a screen looks without speakers on the side but I am still undecided on speakers on wall vs behind. :D
Installing a "pocket door" is not a minor undertaking. A much simpler project is to reverse the swing on the door so it swings outward rather than inward.

With the W1070 and a 10' throw distance from lens to screen, 120" will be the max size possible with the zoom lens all the way in. I would build a DIY spandex AT screen that size with white over black miliskin spandex. I would also build black velvet masking panels that can do double duty -- mask the top and bottom black bars when watching scope movies, or mask the bottom and sides down to a smaller screen for gaming if you want. With the W1070 mounted 10' from the screen, the zoom lens go go from the 120" extreme down to 92" just by moving the zoom lever all the way from one side to the other.

With an AT screen on the left-hand wall, you will need very thin -- possibly even in-wall -- front speakers or you will not have the total distance you need to get a 120" screen. Remember the W1070 is 12" deep and has cables attached to the rear, so it will take up a minimum 14" of your 135" room depth. That puts you right at the limit of being able to fill a 120" screen. If you want to use existing speakers, I think the 120" AT screen is not going to work.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
These days a "barn door" is often used, which is a surface-mount sliding arrangement (not hidden, like a pocket door).

Making an outswing door is probably easier, though.

I would say 106" is about right for that room.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installing a "pocket door" is not a minor undertaking. A much simpler project is to reverse the swing on the door so it swings outward rather than inward.
Thanks for the tips. I learned a new "keyword" today :D . "pocket door" I have not looked into those but yeah they need a little more effort. I was thinking of something simpler like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectrum...ccordion-Door-EX4896WH/100465668?N=5yc1vZc5ii

Reversing the door may also be an option but it may interfere with a bathroom that is adjacent to this room at 90 deg.

These days a "barn door" is often used, which is a surface-mount sliding arrangement (not hidden, like a pocket door).

Making an outswing door is probably easier, though.

I would say 106" is about right for that room.
I've seen barn doors in home improvement shows :cool: but they will definitely look out of place there.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Old House finally sold!! :D

Getting ready to make a move and pull the trigger on a PJ. Since the original post, the price on the 1070 has gone slightly higher and hovers around 7 Benjamins. I was wondering if I could benefit from a short throw model for about $230 more. If I go with the 1070 and do ceiling mount, the projector would be sitting right above our heads/chairs and am worried about fan noise being directly above and annoying me. :)

Going with the 1085ST, I would get freedom to mount it to the center of the room and still be able to project ~ 110" and hopefully get reduced fan noise.

Would I "lose" anything else by moving to this projector choice?

Any final feedback on whether it makes sense to go 1085ST vs 1070? TIA.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Get the W1070. The noise is emitted from the front/back/sides, so having it directly overhead actually directs sound away from where you are sitting. Short throw models are great for the unique setups that need them, but longer throw provides a bit better of an image due to optics gets the projector out of your line of sight, and should reduce noise very slightly overall.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get the W1070. The noise is emitted from the front/back/sides, so having it directly overhead actually directs sound away from where you are sitting. Short throw models are great for the unique setups that need them, but longer throw provides a bit better of an image due to optics gets the projector out of your line of sight, and should reduce noise very slightly overall.
Thanks for the feedback. With the savings I could get a good ceiling mount! Any recommendations?

{goes to search for ceiling mount :) }

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I have very specific projector mount recommendations:

Get the Chief RPMAU or RSMAU

This is a universal mount, and the RPMAU will be the last and only mount you will ever buy, or ever want to buy.

It is better than ANY mount on the market which I have used, which probably is about 20 or 30 different mounts, including the next best Peerless PRG-UNIV mount.

The is the RSMAU in silver:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/InFocus-Chi...484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487e87fc54

Manufactured by Chief for InFocus, hence the model name IFRSMAUS - At $99 shipped, it's a deal.

Put a 1.5" plumbing flange on your ceiling, then some 1.5" steel pipe from Home Depot, and you are set. You can hang from this thing, no problems, and it will last forever. Very easy to adjust.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

This is a universal mount, and the RPMAU will be the last and only mount you will ever buy, or ever want to buy.

It is better than ANY mount on the market which I have used, which probably is about 20 or 30 different mounts, including the next best Peerless PRG-UNIV mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/InFocus-Chi...484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487e87fc54

Manufactured by Chief for InFocus, hence the model name IFRSMAUS - At $99 shipped, it's a deal.

Put a 1.5" plumbing flange on your ceiling, then some 1.5" steel pipe from Home Depot, and you are set. You can hang from this thing, no problems, and it will last forever. Very easy to adjust.
Thanks for the recommendation. So do you control the height using the flange/pipe? If I have a ceiling fan on the way I may need to go a lower so that the fan does not obstruct the projector. Sorry about the noob questions but it is my first projector. :D

Also for my projector choice...is there any difference in going RPMAU or RSMAU?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

+1 to this. I cheaped out and got a "heavy duty" adjustable mount with no knobs or levers for micro-adjustments, and spent HOURS AND HOURS touching one side of the projector, touching the other side, touching one corner, and back to the beginning trying to get it level. I was ready to throw it out the window. As I installed it into my concrete ceiling with these bolts that will literally be there until the end of time, I couldn't switch it out.

Do yourself a BIG favor and get the one suggested.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. So do you control the height using the flange/pipe? If I have a ceiling fan on the way I may need to go a lower so that the fan does not obstruct the projector. Sorry about the noob questions but it is my first projector. :D

Also for my projector choice...is there any difference in going RPMAU or RSMAU?
The pipe is standard 1.5" plumbing steel pipe from Home Depot. Projector manufacturers (Chief/Peerless/Others) sell 1.5" threaded pipe themselves, but it's the same stuff. 1.5" threaded pipe. You can get it from half an inch to over ten feet long. You can buy it in lengths up to about 18" from Home Depot.

I typically measure about 40 times, then buy one piece of steel pipe, and it works great. Since the W1070 has a tiny bit of lens shift, I shoot for the center of the lens to be about 3.5" above the top of the screen, then buy a pipe which gets me within an inch of that distance, and it seems to work very well.

They do sell pipes with adjustable drop, but I prefer the fixed ones as it provides the most solid base to work from.

There should really never be a ceiling fan in a room with a projector. The light will reflect off the ceiling fan, significantly, and distract from the movie. Also, the ceiling fan must be high enough that the projector can be below it and still hit the screen correctly. As said, the W1070 must be above the top of the screen by about 3".

The RPM can hold up to 50 pounds, the RSM can hold up to 25 pounds. The W1070 is about 6 pounds. You will be fine with either. While I lean towards the RPM over the smaller one, I wouldn't shy away from the RSM.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I've always found I'm quite a bit more competitive in FPS games on a smaller screen.
^^^ This might be a good reason to mount the projector almost as far forward as you can while filling a generously large movie screen. Then you can simply reach up and zoom (and refocus) the projector down to a smaller size for certain games that might call for it.
You could have a 120" image for movies and switch down as small as ~95" if you need to with just the zoom control.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

I could not find any more on ebay and the one you linked it's gone. I am trying to find one via online retailers. These have same name/model:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SMAUS_RSMAUS_Mini_RPA_Elite.html/prm/alsVwDtl

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680080-REG/Chief_RSMAUW_RSMAUW_Mini_RPA_Elite.html

I see the same model number only with an extra "S" and "W" which I presume is for the color designation. Are these the same you are recommending?

Also when mounts are installed what do most people choose for the mount color? I have white ceiling and the benq is white + some silver. I am leaning towards white. Any recommendations on color for best blending in? Thanks in advance for taking the time to help a noob in projector world.

New toys are on the way except for the mount. :confused:

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Yes, those are the small Elite mount, and are the same. W = White, S = Silver.

This is also on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU...174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b1463d25e

I would probably get this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-Epson...255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee0409c0f

An I would just use a drill and some washers to make it into a 'custom fit' bracket to save myself $50-$100.

or this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIEF-RPMB0...664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259490a640

The first eBay one is the ideal universal mount, and likely will sell for $100 or less.

The second one is the one I would go with if I had to have something. It takes about an hour to modify the plate to work with a different projector than what it was designed for, but once modified, it works great. Also, it comes with a ceiling plate and a short extension pole which you can use, or not, but at $50, it's a great price.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yes, those are the small Elite mount, and are the same. W = White, S = Silver.
Any advice on the color? All the ones you linked are black. Black in my ceiling would look out of place and stand out and I guess be an eye sore. BTW, I have changed rooms due to WAF. :) So all this will be installed in an open space family room. Not sure if a picture will help but I can see black not passing the looks test. Still very helpful advice given to make final decisions. Now I need to decide if I want the bracket mount in Silver or White. :confused:

Screen + projector arrives around the end of this week. Can't wait!!! :grin:
Thank you for all your advice. Very helpful.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
No advice at all on the color! :)

I always get black and have always used black, but they do make it in silver and white for a reason. They just don't pop up on eBay that often.

The silver one is $125 on B&H Photo, and the white one is $140.

You can still get a steel plumbing flange and 1.5" pipe from Home Depot and spray paint it flat white to match the room if that's what you are thinking of doing. It works well, and isn't crazy pricy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts