AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search to locate a DVD player that will upconvert over components. This is a popular topic however, the previous threads mention DVD players which are outdated and no longer available.

I do have the OPPO 970 with the upconversion hack but some odd reason, with my Samsung LN-52A650 TV, when setting the output to 1080i on the OPPO, the message 'mode not supported' is displayed on the TV.

If anyone can help in getting that resolved, THAT would be awesome, and would be a preferred solution.

If not then, are there any DVD players currently available that can be firmware hacked to provide upconversion over component ?

Thank you !!

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla /forum/post/14201270

I'm in search to locate a DVD player that will upconvert over components. This is a popular topic however, the previous threads mention DVD players which are outdated and no longer available.

I do have the OPPO 970 with the upconversion hack but some odd reason, with my Samsung LN-52A650 TV, when setting the output to 1080i on the OPPO, the message 'mode not supported' is displayed on the TV.

If anyone can help in getting that resolved, THAT would be awesome, and would be a preferred solution.

If not then, are there any DVD players currently available that can be firmware hacked to provide upconversion over component ?

Thank you !!

Could you verify that the display accepts 1080i over component from any other source?

-Bill

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think that Oppo model was the last that you could even hack to make upscale over component. That's why only older models are discussed. As far as I know, there hasn't been anything you can buy new.

New players are required to upscale over HDMI.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Buy the Kingwell 6900i at the KingWell Technology website. $139. No freight or tax. Completely region and macrovision/HDCP free. Upconverts to 1080P. I've had mine for about 10 days now. Noticeable improvement in picture quality for every DVD I've played.

Arrived from Chine five days after I ordered it. So far...9 on a ten point scale.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/14201723

Doesn't that display have 3 HDMI inputs. Why are you using component??

Yes, you are right, I have three HDMI inputs on that TV however I have a component based 6X2 switcher. My outputs are that LCD tv and a 1080i projector with components input only.

To make everything switch seamlessly, I was going the component route for that DVD player so I can switch the outputs to TV or projector.

As a last resort, I may run two cables from that player. The component cable for the projector and HDMI to the TV and figure out the automation later.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/14201846

Buy the Kingwell 6900i at the KingWell Technology website. $139. No freight or tax. Completely region and macrovision/HDCP free. Upconverts to 1080P. I've had mine for about 10 days now. Noticeable improvement in picture quality for every DVD I've played.

Arrived from Chine five days after I ordered it. So far...9 on a ten point scale.

Thank you for the Kingwell recommendation. I did google that model and interestingly enough, kingwelltechnology.com website seem to be suspended (LOL).

Can you please provide a link that you used to purchase that DVD player ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You'd probably be better off getting DVDFab or another program and stripping CSS. It's what I opted for...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14202838

You'd probably be better off getting DVDFab or another program and stripping CSS. It's what I opted for...

It seems that my Samsung TV and the OPPO DVD player is not 'handshaking' somehow at the 1080i resolution with the component output. Interestingly enough, when using my NEC projector, this is not an issue when hooked up through component connectors.

Ripping DVD's unfortunately won't be of any help, in this case.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla /forum/post/14203245

It seems that my Samsung TV and the OPPO DVD player is not 'handshaking' somehow at the 1080i resolution with the component output. Interestingly enough, when using my NEC projector, this is not an issue when hooked up through component connectors.

Ripping DVD's unfortunately won't be of any help, in this case.

Does the combination work at 480i and 480p? If so, discs without CSS can be upscaled to 1080i without the hack.

But I would run HDMI to the TV.

-Bill

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla /forum/post/14202737

Thank you for the Kingwell recommendation. I did google that model and interestingly enough, kingwelltechnology.com website seem to be suspended (LOL).

Can you please provide a link that you used to purchase that DVD player ?

Thanks !

Unfortunately, you're right. I had saved the Kingwell web address as a bookmark. I went back to it just a few minutes ago and got the same response you did: "domain suspended." Go figure. I'm certainly glad that the player is working well for me and I don't need to take advantage of their 30-day unconditional return policy.

Just before I settled on Kingwell, I started a thread with much the same objective as yours. One of the responses identified Helios as a brand that

offered models with component upconvert capability. You might want to check my thread and/or the Helios brand for possible solutions. Good luck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/14206064

Unfortunately, you're right. I had saved the Kingwell web address as a bookmark. I went back to it just a few minutes ago and got the same response you did: "domain suspended." Go figure. I'm certainly glad that the player is working well for me and I don't need to take advantage of their 30-day unconditional return policy.

Just before I settled on Kingwell, I started a thread with much the same objective as yours. One of the responses identified Helios as a brand that

offered models with component upconvert capability. You might want to check my thread and/or the Helios brand for possible solutions. Good luck.

I did look at the Helios line. On their website, the product is out of stock. Wow, didn't realize it would be THAT much a challenge trying to locate such a DVD player. I'm seeing writing on the wall, to soon upgrade my projector so it has an HDMI connector.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Does your projector not upscale that well? I'd just do what you mentioned earlier (HDMI to TV, component to projector) and let the projector upscale the image, using the player to only deinterlace from 480i DVDs to 480p.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/14207556

Does your projector not upscale that well? I'd just do what you mentioned earlier (HDMI to TV, component to projector) and let the projector upscale the image, using the player to only deinterlace from 480i DVDs to 480p.

Yes, in short of buying a new projector right now, and trying to find a DVD player that will upconvert over components, using two cables - HDMI to LCD TV, and component to Projector will end up the best solution, for me.

As a sidebar, its disappointing to see that you've made an expensive investment, (Projector ~ 2.5K) only to realize it was obsoleted by a newer technology, in a very short time frame, rendering it useless for the most part.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, it sucks, but that's the nature of technology. It's not like they're ever going to put the brakes on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Kingwell Technology website appears to be back up and running. Just out of curiosity, I used the bookmark I created when I bought the 6900i from them and the site came right up. They're still offering the 6900i for $139, no tax or shipping charges.

I've had the product in use for about three weeks now. I can tell you the upconvert to 1080i through my TV's component inputs produces a significant and very pleasing improvement in picture quality. Contrast, especially in night scenes, appears to be better. Colors are more vivid. Facial tones are crisper. It ain't Blu-Ray but it's a substantial improvement over my other player/recorder's(Toshiba) 480P. If you're still looking to upconvert through component, give it a shot.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have the Helios and it does an adequate job of upconverting over component. I bought mine from a Canadian dealer they listed on their website. Paid $125 CDN for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts