AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to take the plunge and pick up a JVC 30K. I'm hoping some kind person could tell me what accessories I need like cleaners and preferred brand of tape.

Thanks for the help.

Ted

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ted,

Grab a couple of Maxell VP-100 head cleaning tapes. You can find them at Wal Mart and K-Mart for about $5 each.

Do you have plans to put together an HDTV recording setup or are you going to go strictly with D-Theater?

For recording I have had great success using Fuji Consumer Pro S-VHS tapes recording in D-VHS mode. A two hour tape is about $4. I also get great results with TDK XP SuperPRO S-VHS tapes again recording in D-VHS mode. For D-VHS tapes I have used both Maxell and JVC DF-300 tapes and for very long movies like Apocalypse Now Redux I use the JVC DF-420. The only D-VHS tapes I have ever had problems with is Panasonic. I've had so many problems with them on the JVC deck I no longer use them.

Hope this helps.

--Jerome

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerome,

Thanks a lot for that... I was thinking there was a heavier duty cleaning system required for very occasional use...

I'll be recording. So really all of the tapes listed are about the same and avoid the Panasonic. Great info!

Thanks!

Ted

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jeff, its actually pretty easy to clean the decks without having to send to JVC. Now, I shouldnt have to do this but since JVC is not saying they have an issue, I guess they must not.;)

dave

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When my Dad has cleaned my decks, which has been twice now, I probably have used them for another few hundred hours before needing cleaning again. I use 50 % DVHS, and 50% Fuji Svhs. It would be interesting to see what type of tape one is using for folks having problems.

This could be another factor since we have read here a number of times that SVHS tapes is more coarse than DVHS.

Dave

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeez, It couldn't be as simple as brand of tape, could it? Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Ted

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Just doing data collection. I dont remember anyone asking this question.

Its one thing to work, its may be another for how long.

Dave

·
Registered
858 Posts
All the cleanning in the world will not fix the pinch roller problem and the brand of tape has verry little to do with the JVC problem. My panasonics just keep going with verry little cleanning and maintenance.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jeff, they are different parts. Panasonics make no difference in this discussion. Again, what tapes are people using. They may work fine in the panasonic, but maybe they dont in the JVC. Isnt this possible? We cant leave any stone unturned.

Dave

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I have used that Maxell 100 nonabrasive cleaning tape a few times when playback problems started surfacing with total success and perfect playback thereafter.

A few weeks ago I hooked up the JVC via 1394 to my then new Samsung 165.

Tonight, playing "Spygame", I initially tried to play it via 1394 through the 165. It wouldn't work and then I realized that D-Theater encoded tapes will only play back through 165 via the 165's component video output - but I only have the RGB video output connected. I do have component video output connected from the JVC. So I used that. But I was getting those funny digital thingamagics. I used the Maxell 100 but still started getting the digital nasties. Then I thought to myself, I still had the JVC set to the I-Link. I changed the channel to a local analog channel, hit Play, and bingo, the tape played back fine thereafter. Could I have discovered something???

(Heck if I know)!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrichards
All the cleanning in the world will not fix the pinch roller problem and the brand of tape has verry little to do with the JVC problem.
Jeff,

You hit the nail right on the head. The brand of tape and cleaning has nothing whatsoever to do with this problem.

My deck came back from the service center 8 days ago. Guess what gang? A few hours ago it started doing the same thing it was before I sent it in. (Please don't ask me if I cleaned it.) Playback has random red and green pixel streaks through it. So it will need to go back to New Jersey on Monday. Hell, at this rate I should consider moving to Pine Brook. At least that way it would be convenient for me to take my deck in for its required weekly servicing.

And for anyone else reading this, please, spare me the tape brand and cleaning theories. All of my tapes, including D-Theater, aren't playing back right.

It is not dirty heads nor is it a dirty capstan nor aliens from outer space infesting my deck. The next thing you know someone will be telling me that I need to get out a Oujia board or have a Tarrot reading done before recording because it works great for them. It's a piss poor tape transport design that is prone to failure. If your deck or decks haven't crapped out yet then consider yourself very fortunate.

--Jerome

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is anyone using the Maxell VP-201 " Pro Head Cleaner" tape? It is a non-abrasive wet brush type. I haven't opened the box yet and may return it if is not recommended for the JVC30K. Any comments would be appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Art, so far I only talked to Merek and a higher manager once. At the time, my cleanings had fixed the problem. I didnt get any real good input from Merek, he said he was just told to look into this and was collecting data.

Well, when I call tomorrow, I will see what I get since I have my machines starting to crap out for the third time. If I dont get a decent answer, I will start calling the VP names I called before that really got the place rocking.

My goal is to get this fixed. Again, in my job for 23 years as a product engineer, I deal with this stuff all the time so I know what quality means.

I also know how I have had to deal with an installed base. Fixes may not be cheap, but our name was more important and having happy customers!!

Dave

·
Registered
858 Posts
Look forward to being without your deck for some time after you send it in. This is the worst time for service work. Also it will take time for them to figure out the problem and implement it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.