AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The theater project started a joke- "It'd add resale value" I told my friends and family. (ha) also it'd ensure I didn't have a TV upstairs in the house, something I got hooked on for some reason.

Anyway, I was detailing it over in the 'DIY Screens' section since I was building the screen myself. This is a theater done on a budget taking into account the existing room, but is dedicated to only being a theater.

[cut and paste from other thread]

I have what some would call an ideal situation. I am single, and my girlfriend lives 4 hours away and loves watching movies. She's all for me building a theatre, as long as it's not on the weekends when she's monopolizing my time

The room in question is my downstairs family room. The room has no carpet because the basement flooded shortly after I purchased the home. I have fixed the water issues and despite the wettest summer in a long time here, have no more issues, however due to me being a worry wart, I am going to try to get by for a year without perminate flooring, to ensure the water issue is resolved, then i'm going to installed floor heating and ceramic tile, and obviously some rugs.

Room Demensions: 12x16x7 (PJ will be shooting the 16 direction)

PJ: Optima HD 20 mounted 14.5 foot back

Ambient light: Hardly any, tiny window in room which can & will be blacked out, stairs leading down to room let very little light, no ambient light hitting screen wall.

Proposed screen size: 123 inches diag (60 inches high)

This leaves the screen less than a foot from the floor, is that too little? (is my screen too big?)

Screen material: WilsonArt DW on 1/2 inch MDF

biggest concern is the 7 foot ceilings, with projector mount drop, meaning my screen will be nearly perfectly centered from floor to ceiling, is that going to b acceptable? I'm thinking it's okay, but i'm also thinking "Hells yes, huge screen!!!" so I could have cloudy judgement

The second part of all this, is do you all have any paint color suggestions, lighting suggestions etc? I've got full control over the room, and right now it needs help. It's got two very cheap round fixtures in the center of the room and one smaller round fixture which is supposed to look like it's at the bottom of the stairs.. my plan is to remove the fixture closest to the screen completely, replace with a sconce or two on the wall, and replace the 2nd centered round light (which is nearly directly over where the seating will be) with track lighting.

I've already started cleaning up and getting the room ready, had to remove a nearly 2 inch bow in the wall the screen will be on (eek!) but it turned out well.

Pics to make it all real:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's an update:

snapped some pics before the nyquil takes over- still battling a cold while doing this lol

Still drying on the walls so you can see some shine in some areas (will be flat when dry) one more coat on the walls and it'll darken up a bit too. It's a very dark blue with one shade lighter on the ceiling, so it's darker than it appears in the pictures actually. Will completely go away when the lights are off.

Speaking of lights you can see I've got the rear light out and an old work box in with drywall repaired, will add 2nd old work box later (am waiting to see if I can use a double gang or need two boxes with the HDMI wall plate I ordered) and the cable is ready to be back pulled when it arrives hopefully thursday.

Screen material is ready to be picked up at forma-top, so will snag that either tomorrow if I get a chance before bowling, or thursday. Either way need to grab the backer board to go with it, then will mount and hang the screen.

The projector mount, hdmi plates, and cabling arrive thursday the way it looks, so hopefully friday night I'll be wrapping things up for phase one and can focus on getting the little bedroom down there painted and carpeted before the party. Only thing I'm not sure on is what i'm going to put the ps3/xbox360/reciever on until I cut in my built in cabinets. Might have to get ambitious next week and get those built...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
screen arrived home

Finally decided to mount it on a 1x4 frame of hard wood and make it so it can be removed from the wall in case I want to.... enhance it with some paint later. the frame will leave 2 inches on each side of the laminate hanging off, for a floating look , and also somewhere to mount back lighting. Trying to get away with not having a border, we'll see if it works, if not I'll build a border lol.

I had a scrap off the end they cut off of the 5x12 sheet so I propped it up and shot the pj at it, what a difference! Can't wait to get this thing built.

Also, wall plates and pj mount delayed in shipping won't be here till monday
Oh well, still time to get all my loose ends tied up before the halloween party on the 30th.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frame built for screen, contact cemented onto screen...

(contact cement = nasty ****)

layin down contact cement:

Glued and weighted:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a little ambitious with the screen size I think..

screen going up tonight, obviously can't wait to get it up and get clear snaps of how it looks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay a couple pictures:

with 1/2 the can lights on (bought a crap ton of different bulbs and settled on these but need to go back and get enough for the rest of the cans)

Now, lights off- showing SD content (need to get some HD stuff qued up) with no lights on in the room. This is at 1:30 in the afternoon with light pouring in from upstairs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, snapped some better pictures of the setup, need to address sound next. The can lights are 3 down each side two against the outside walls the middle one pointed in for each can light. They are on a dimmer and don't hit the screen- on full blast (60 watts x 6) you can still see the picture clear as day on the HD20's "cinema" setting with brightness at 40. Dim them a bit and you can get up and walk around while still enjoying the movie or whatever's on the screen completely. The white balance and colors are off a little on some of these long exposure shots, but it's the best I will do tonight.

Also need to paint the wire hider, and fix up a custom plate for the HDMI and power stuff... get it lookin right.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that brings us up to date. Investment so far:

Paint - $100

Screen - $250

PJ- $860

Lighting - $120

HDMI Plates - $17

CAT6 runs for HDMI- $20 worth

MISC electrical (plates/switches/dimmers etc): $30

So about $1400 so far into without the 360/PS3/Receiver/Speakers which I had laying around already. Hopefully soon I'll be doing flooring, new trim and doors and then finally some appropriate seating.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Nice space and you are off to a good start! Go big or go home.
Is there a bezel around your screen?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
Looks great. You will be glad you went that big when you pop in a 2.35:1 format movie.
Thanks! I'm about 1/2 way through your thread (I think, we're still building a shed!?!?) and just love how yours turned out. If I had a bigger budget....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow
Nice space and you are off to a good start! Go big or go home.
Is there a bezel around your screen?

no bezel, screen hangs about 3 inches off the flat paint wall... I have a REALLY cheap and TERRIBLE mount for my projector, so it's currently impossible to get it positioned perfectly, but I don't notice the spill over yet. Not sure how I'd get a bezel on the screen actually, but we'll see if the need arises. I'm more likely to put a backer of velvet on the wall itself behind the screen I think.

One step at a time, it's slow going but it's usable and I LOVE it right now.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx
Thanks! I'm about 1/2 way through your thread (I think, we're still building a shed!?!?) and just love how yours turned out. If I had a bigger budget....!
Thanks, Then you haven't got to the part where I put in a bigger AT screen, spent a small fortune on a new projector/lens and built some new speakers. Consider those some of my "things I'd do differently" if I'd only known.

·
Registered
333 Posts
How are you liking the black walls? Debating if I go flat black on my upper half of walls. Ceiling is already in the flat black. I have gray material for the bottom half.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman /forum/post/19627287

Awesome setup! But cmon... american top gear isnt NEARLY as good as the original!

Agreed, but the PS3 was on wireless and wouldn't stream the 1080p stuff very well at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmove /forum/post/19628317

How are you liking the black walls? Debating if I go flat black on my upper half of walls. Ceiling is already in the flat black. I have gray material for the bottom half.

Walls are dark blue, ceiling is a shade lighter. Tough to tell in the photos I know but it's a really nice alternative to black IMHO. I'll see if I can dig out the color swatch so you can see it in person at Home Depot if you'd like

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like the floating screen. Since you mentioned that your girlfriend likes watching movies, my only suggestion would be to upgrade your racing seat to one with a loveseat configuration.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman /forum/post/19629363

I like the floating screen. Since you mentioned that your girlfriend likes watching movies, my only suggestion would be to upgrade your racing seat to one with a loveseat configuration.

Yea.. that's sort of next-ish... I'm on a serious budget with the racing season coming up, car is in for some motor work so $$$ is tight for a while.

The floating screen is one of my favorite choices so far. I really like how it turned out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay so I'm starting to look at seating as the engine for the race car looks like it's going to come way under budget (fingers crossed). I've decided I would like to attempt 2 rows of seats.

Here's what I've got- a 13 foot wide room, by 16 foot deep. I've only got 7 foot 2 inches to the ceiling, and the pj is 15 foot back. The hiccup is that the stairs enter the back L of the room and there are 3 other doors- one on the back wall and two on the right.

So, if I want this to work I think I have to crate an isle/hallway behind a riser platform and on the right of the riser platform to give access to the doors. I'd like to do a couch on the riser and two over-sized chairs below (home theater seating will wait for the next house, I think- this is more casual). I'd like the couch to be centered on the PJ, so if I take the riser all the way to the Left side, I can put the step on the left...

Rough sketch: (pretty much to scale..)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no opinions? By golly I hit the jackpot everyone loves it!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Why extend the riser infront of the steps? Just to accomodate the step?

Edit: "I need to read faster!"

Better question:

So you get onto the riser from the screen side? I think it would be cool if it was the same height as your first basement step, and you combined the two. Then step down to get to the other rooms and the front seating. I could just see myself not willing to walk around after the first week and just hopping over the riser as I came down the stairs, wondering why I didn't just put a step there.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.