AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Try programming a universal remote, then see if the Menu button is active.

Might be a reset button on the box's circuit board but I'm not familiar with this unit.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Magnavox Converter Box Reset

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I know not many people are still using these boxes in 2019.

There is a hidden reset button on the original remote control. You will need to disassemble it and perform some minor modifications in order to access the button.

First, remove the batteries and disassemble the remote. If the contacts and pads need cleaning, I suggest that you do that first.

With the button pad laying face up, you will notice a pair of buttons in the top-right corner that have been shaved off. (See attachment 1). Both buttons perform the reset, but I used the far right button for my mod.

Flip the top half of the remote housing upside down. You will see two squares/ovals with no cutout for a button in the top-left corner. Using a very small drill bit (but big enough to insert a paper clip though), drill a hole in the center of one of the squares/ovals. (See attachment 2).

Reassemble the remote (leave the screws out during testing), turn on the converter box and test the button by inserting a paperclip in the drilled hole. (See attachment 3). The screen will go black and the model number and firmware version will appear. Press return to cancel without resetting. Pressing OK on the remote (even though it says enter) will reset the converter box to factory settings and power it off. When you turn the converter box back on, you will be greeted with the setup wizard.

Doesn't work? Then you're not quite done yet. It appears that Funai purposely left the graphite coating off of the pads of these buttons on some models, which renders the hidden buttons in-operative. You will need to take some aluminum foil and cut out a piece that covers the pad EXACTLY. (See attachment 4). Super glue it to the pad of the button that you intend to use. (Use a toothpick to apply a small amount of glue to the pad, and use a pair of tweezers to apply the foil on top of it. Practice a few times before applying the super glue so that you lessen your chances of messing up. Make sure the foil is flat and has no creases in it). Once the glue dries, reassemble the remote and test the button. If it works, you're all set!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts