AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have scoured the forums but couldn't find anything.

Is it possible, by going into the SM on the 8G Elites, to reset the number of hours the panel has been used?

I'm thinking of buying a used model and the owner claims roughly 500 total used hours. I just want to make sure that he couldn't have changed that number.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i have seen posts (i think in the 8g owners thread) that warn that hours can be reset but i don;t recall any post on how it can be done. i think the implication was that special equipment is needed.

try searching the 8g thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boehmr /forum/post/14233818

Is it possible, by going into the SM on the 8G Elites, to reset the number of hours the panel has been used?

I'm thinking of buying a used model and the owner claims roughly 500 total used hours. I just want to make sure that he couldn't have changed that number.

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.

You could go to Pioneer's web-site and buy the service manual.

If there are no instructions regarding resetting the hours used in the S/M then I doubt it can be done by a "generic" user.

BTW... the power on/off counts should be significantly less than the hours of operation.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
the info/access factory has is different than what they sell to the public in sms. i think same is try for car service manuals.

added: Example: i just looked in the sm for 5080; there is no procedure for updating firmware..but we know (from numerous posts) that the firmware can be updated trough the cablecard slot

while i not sure if stores or service shops can reset hours, i just read that new panels show 0 hours because the counter is reset to 0 after the 50-hour burn-in

i'll search the post/poster who knows about resetting and post if i find it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
well ...i have a copy of the 5080 manual, just checked again and i could not find a couple of things: how to update firmware using the cablecard slot or how to use a laptop/software with the service connector on the back. so i'm pretty sure they don't include everything in the manual they sell to the public. Seems logical, they can't give away all their secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/14243567

Are you sure? I have never read this before.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja /forum/post/14265620

well ...i have a copy of the 5080 manual, just checked again and i could not find a couple of things: how to update firmware using the cablecard slot or how to use a laptop/software with the service connector on the back. so i'm pretty sure they don't include everything in the manual they sell to the public. Seems logical, they can't give away all their secrets.

It is true that Pioneer does not provide end-user support for firmware updates, which is why those instructions are not published in the service manual.

Is there any information in your 5080 (service?) manual regarding how to reset the number of hours of operation?

Are there instructions regarding how to reset the panel to its "default settings? Doing this may also reset the number of hours used as it did for my Panasonic TH-50PX50U.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
YES, it is there i found it...there is a table of RS232 commands there is one table labeled--

8.3 HOW TO CLEAR HISTORY DATA

within that table it tells when to clear the HOUR-METER and there is command CHM to do it

here is a cut and paste but i can't get to show it as the original table

Hour-meter Accumulated power-on time Must be cleared

No need to be

cleared

No need to be

cleared

CHM

there is also-----

To reset each memory values to factory default values. Factory command is "FST".

i think the above may also reset the hours like in your situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/14268623

It is true that Pioneer does not provide end-user support for firmware updates, which is why those instructions are not published in the service manual.

Is there any information in your 5080 (service?) manual regarding how to reset the number of hours of operation?

Are there instructions regarding how to reset the panel to its "default settings? Doing this may also reset the number of hours used as it did for my Panasonic TH-50PX50U.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
YES, the hours CAN be reset albeit through RS232 service commands....found this in the service manual. Can't say if it can be done by a standard remote.

the manual also shows a special remote for service commands...wonder where can i buy one

Quote:

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts