AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Picture-in-Picture commentary for Resident Evil - Extinction (the "Under the Umbrella" special feature), when I noticed something strange at the very beginning. The host's mouth is moving, but there's no sound for a few words. When you hear him, his sentence begins "... the first Resident Evil movie". The first few words of his sentence have been chopped off.

My player is a PS3 (60GB, 2.10 firmware).

BUT- when played back on that same PS3 using the ancient technology of composite video and stereo audio (yes, the old yellow, red, white plugs to the front of the TV), THEN the entire sentence is heard in the commentary. The host's sentence actually begins "When we made the first Resident Evil movie"

I tried this on two different PS3 systems - one using HDMI for video and audio through a Pioneer Elite receiver, the other using component video and fiber optic audio through a plain-old Pioneer receiver - with the exact same results. The HDMI and fiber optic audio both chop off "When we made", the first few words of the picture-in-picture commentary. The only way I can hear the beginning of the Blu-Ray profile 1.1 Picture-in-Picture commentary is to listen to it in plain stereo from the PS3's composite video/stereo output. How weird is that?!

Is this just an issue with PS3s? Do other players play back the entire PiP commentary?

I'm interested to know why the audio portion of the beginning of the PiP commentary is chopped off. It's like the HDMI audio and fiber audio needed extra time to get started and catch up to the video, but the simple red/white stereo plugs don't need that start-up time?

What's going on?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
616 Posts
Unfortunately it is a fairly standard problem for Digital Audio. There is usually a 1/2 second to a full second before digital tracks will sync up with a receiver. This issues could be resolved if authors or compressionist would add a slug of black at the head of the feature.

Dolby has recommended this ever since DVD started coming out.

fitprod

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'm a major fan of "Resident Evil" and Milla Jovovich, but I just finally had the chance to watch the BD "Resident Evil: Appocalypse" and it was a tremendous step down from the original film -- although there were new characters, there was no character development at all -- completely flat. Given that sequels are typically a pale derivate shadow of the original film, I'm expecting next to nothing for the finale (Extinction) and so I guess I'll just stick with the original --a genuinely great and under-rated film.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Is there any other PIP titles ("bonus view") released on BD yet? I'm dying to try one on my PS3. (I just updated the firmware to 2.1)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I watched this today using my PS3, and found a weird glitch. I started the movie without the PiP, and later turned it on. I found it to be boring, so I turned it off, and noticed that somehow the subtitles had gotten turned on. Curious, I turned the subtitles off, then switched the PiP to On, then to Off again, and again the subtitles were back! Very weird.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/12890379

Is there any other PIP titles ("bonus view") released on BD yet? I'm dying to try one on my PS3. (I just updated the firmware to 2.1)

Check out either War or Sunshine. They both have PiP specials.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I kinda liked Extinction, I just wish they added more of the non-zombie monsters.

Any notice the wierd glossy smudging over Mila and Ali's faces at times? Looked like someone was doing some sort of digital effect to hide detail. Noticed it a bit in "Eastern Promises" with Naomi Watts as well. Wonder if it is to hide some age lines or make-up imperfections.

·
Registered
27,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill222 /forum/post/12889553

I was watching the Picture-in-Picture commentary for Resident Evil - Extinction (the "Under the Umbrella" special feature), when I noticed something strange at the very beginning. The host's mouth is moving, but there's no sound for a few words. When you hear him, his sentence begins "... the first Resident Evil movie". The first few words of his sentence have been chopped off.

It's not uncommon for the audio to take an extra second or two to kick in after initially selecting the feature. Generally, if it happens you can skip back to the start of the chapter to hear it.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/12894721

It's not uncommon for the audio to take an extra second or two to kick in after initially selecting the feature. Generally, if it happens you can skip back to the start of the chapter to hear it.

Unfortunately for PIP there is no "skip back" to the beginning of the small picture. It is better for studios to have 1 second of silence at the beginning of each PIP video. Again, unfortunately since these PIP are edited from a longer interview, it's very difficult to have no mouth movements at the beginning of each clip all the time. It also looks bad to have a complete black second for each PIP. They can try a transparent 1 second PIP to start every PIP in my opinion or consider the "receiver lag" during editing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For Extinction, scanning back to or before the beginning of the PiP feature doesn't help any. The digital audio outputs (both HDMI and fiber) always chop off the first 3 words of this commentary. But it always plays OK (no words lost) from the red/white stereo plugs.

So, is it the player or the receiver that's "not synched up" for the digital audio and is chopping off those words?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts